VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine light in my 98 gti vr6 just shot on today? That could mean a million different things could be wrong---or does it? Any help concerning this situation (what might be wrong, etc) would be valuable
thanks
kwes

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Re: Is this a job for a professional? (keythee4vw)

the most common problem i had for a while was an "evap" code ....it means that either your gas or oil cap is not tight or broken so moisture was entering ...check them...if its not those go with a new bosch O2 sensor! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Re: Is this a job for a professional? (VolksDork)

quote:[HR][/HR]try the oxygen sensor[HR][/HR]​
Might i suggest that if you're going to send him in random directions with no reason for doing so, you at least start with things that don't cost hundreds of dollars?
A 98 VR6 has two O2 sensors, and each is about $100. I'd start the guy off by suggesting that he check all the vacuum hoses, ground wires, and ignition wires under the hood.
But to the OP, see if someone in your area can hook it up to a VAG-COM and check the fault code. If no one will, i hear that your local Auto-Zone will scan them for free. They do it in the hopes that you'll buy the part you need right away.
If all else fails, have a dealer scan it. It's better to pay for a diagnosis than bang your head against the wall trying to figure out something as amazingly variable as a MIL.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Re: Is this a job for a professional? (Firestarter)

I'm with firestarter on this one. Most dealers charge around $70 to hook you up and tell you what's wrong. Much better than blindly fixing things.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Is this a job for a professional? (DiscoStu)

Thanks for the advice fellas. Im sure I'll get it straightened out

kwes

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Re: Is this a job for a professional? (Lobstrosity)

quote:[HR][/HR]oxygen sensor is small. safer route would be replacing the engine.[HR][/HR]​
hmm good thinking

·
Registered
3,192 Posts

If you have an Auto Zone that you live close to they will hook you up on the diagnostic for free as long as your car is a OBDII (which yours is). I'm all about saving money, check it if you can!

·
Registered
23,114 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]oxygen sensor is small. safer route would be replacing the engine.[HR][/HR]​
LMAO

·
Registered
727 Posts
Re: Is this a job for a professional? (Gaki)

i hate dealerships...they suck a$$
waranty this

take it somewhere else, autozone sounds good

[Modified by turbo4dr8v, 11:25 AM 6-4-2002]

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

Check Engine lights are usually triggered for emissions reasons. You may want to check what the warranty on emissions control devices is.
I know in Canada it is 5 years / 50 000 miles. Yours may even be longer.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Re: Is this a job for a professional? (DaveFX2)

even better buy the vag com tool or buy a generic scan tool kit from http://www.OBD-2.com in the long run it would have paid for itself after two uses is your car maybe check other peoples cars for about 10-20 bucks and you can make some money on it too, also the ox sens buy a universal one its cheaper do a search

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

LMAO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts