VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok get this... I decide to get a second beetle, because the lease on my first one was over. I now have a 2001 beetle which I got at the end of July. Since then my car has gone back to the shop 4 times.. .always the same problem. While I'm driving my EPC light goes off and gives me no power. So im trying to get home, and im stuck at a red light, and I have my food on the brake. My RPM's begin to rev up, BY THEMSELVES. All the way up to 5,000 and then back down. WHATS GOING ON?? So im almost home, and then my check engine light goes on. This hasn't happend once, but 4 times. All 4 time VW claims to have "fixed" it. I THINK NOT. What should I do? P.S... for all you beetle users, there is this "safety" feature that i found out a couple of days ago that caused me to get stuck in a parking lot. If the light for the gear shift goes out, the gears lock and you cant get out of park, and you have to get your car towed. Just thought i should let you know.
Anyone have any suggestions...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Is this a lemon?? (BummedBeetleOwner)

are you referring to an automatic. BTW i have a manual. this has never happened to me before!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

No offense man, but the CEL isn't broken, I garuntee the didn't fix it.
It's something ELSE that's wrong that CAUSED the CEL. Do you happen to know what was the cause on the frist 3 or 4 times? The light's just a warning to you that 'something' went wrong, the computer stores whatever that 'something' is. It could be any one of oh.. 200 different things. You should, and you should also keep track of all the papers they give back to you so you can see what they DID do.
Sorry, don't mean to be rude or anything, but I just keep seeing that. 'they fixed the light, it's on again'... with no hints as to what caused it in the first place....
I've had my EPC light come on and my immobilizer kick in once. It ended up having to do w/my instrument cluster, they replaced that and I've had no elec. problems since.
My suggestion would be to find out what the problem is, and go from there. Have them diagnose it, ask them when you drop it off (or next time and every subsequent time) to give you a print out of the codes they retrieve from the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) port.
It probably won't help right now, but further down the road you'll have a better understanding of what's goin on probably.
noR

[Modified by noR, 9:39 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
276 Posts

I'd investigate the lemon law to see what you can do. I thought the dealer only has three chances to "get it right". They should buy it back and give you a new one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts