VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1988 Golf GTI but something is off, the first 5 letters of the VIN code are 1VWAA which means Golf Base I think also this should be a 16v car but the head looks to be a 8v? Car has GTI interior and GTI rear badge plus dual head light grill minus red trim around it.
So the exterior of the car says GTI but the motor and VIN say not, is there any way to tell for sure?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Re: (Greg_J)

Quote, originally posted by Greg_J »
gti's came in 8v
as for the vin....its a USA built vw. and if i recall correctly they never came in GTI's. the factory headlights on that should be westy lights (us DOT headlights, small squares.)

Nope. My 87 16v was a Westmoreland, Aero headlights. The "westy" headllights only came on the very early cars, 85s AFAIK.
An aftermarket grill for sure, what interior does it have? The 88 16v interior shuld be the black vinyl/red stripe.

Modified by headrush at 1:57 AM 4-29-2010

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Re: (rolohaun)

Actually doesn't sound like a 16v, Should have red stripe bumpers, black vinyl door cards, badge on dash, fuba roofmounted antenna, outer 16v trim/mouldings, black headliner and a ton of other things that I've forgotten besides the 16v lump which may have been replaced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (HATCHET)

I will post pics tonight, It does have the roof mount antenna I just thought 1988 they only came in 16v and this car has no 16v badge on in anywhere, unless this was changed over to a 8v and all the trims changed for some reason.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Easiest way to tell if it's the 16v... look at the engine. IF it's a little black rectangle, 8v, if it's a big grey square that says dohc on it, it's a 16v. And it is possible to have an 8v gti, it's a lower trim level than the 16v. Mine's an '86 so it only came in an 8v but the interior is exactly the same as you described, black/silver strip. iirc the grill should be an aero setup, so I think that's most likely aftermarket. And mine was a US built as well.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I believe the only GTI's that came with the black interior and red stripe was the 16v. I believe the 87's (16v) came with the grey cloth interior with the red stripe on the seat and the black w/red stripe as well. But as the others say pics

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (membersonly)

pics will be up soon, the motor is for sure a 8v or a 8v head at least. It does not say DOHC on it it's just a little black vale cover. I think this is a GTI look alike which is ok I am going to check the motor code as well to be sure.
So the car has:
- GTI Grill but no red trim around it (Probly after market)
- GTI big bumper no red trim
- GTI front seats and maching rear seats
- Says Golf GTI on the back
- Also has antenna on roof at back which is GTI
Pics will be up in 5 hours

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: (rolohaun)

Quote, originally posted by rolohaun »
pics will be up soon, the motor is for sure a 8v or a 8v head at least. It does not say DOHC on it it's just a little black vale cover. I think this is a GTI look alike which is ok I am going to check the motor code as well to be sure.
So the car has:
- GTI Grill but no red trim around it (Probly after market)
- GTI big bumper no red trim
- GTI front seats and maching rear seats
- Says Golf GTI on the back
- Also has antenna on roof at back which is GTI
Pics will be up in 5 hours

Checking engine code could be helpful. My US-made GTI's engine is an RD, which iirc is slightly higher output than some of the other 8v's. I would guess it is a lower-trim level gti, so a step down from the 16v, but still considered GTI. Usually that means that there were a few perks vs. a base golf. i.e. sunroof and mfa! wOOO! I may be wrong here, but I do think the gti 8v was a little hotter than the stock too, but I could be wrong on that. Also, antenna location does not equal GTI. Antenna location is a late-model vs. early model deal. Again, my '86 small bumper/door gti has the antenna on the ds front fender. yeah... pics will help a lot.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Re: Is this a real GTI? (rolohaun)

Quote, originally posted by rolohaun »
I just bought a 1988 Golf GTI but something is off, the first 5 letters of the VIN code are 1VWAA which means Golf Base I think also this should be a 16v car but the head looks to be a 8v? Car has GTI interior and GTI rear badge plus dual head light grill minus red trim around it.
So the exterior of the car says GTI but the motor and VIN say not, is there any way to tell for sure?

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty...r.pdf
That was easy.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Re: Is this a real GTI? (rolohaun)

Seems to be a mishmash of parts. The seats don't match the door cards, the bumpers and headlights+grille were added later on. I don't think that there was an 8v gti in 88, and I don't think that they ever came in that dark blue color. Dunno, I'm thinking a vin swap

Modified by headrush at 8:26 PM 4-29-2010

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.