VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so tomorow i plan on installing a cone filter and my forge 007 diverter valve. i read a thread on here about installing a cone filter and it did not mention this sensor on the top of my airbox, so i was wondering if this is a sensor, and if it is what should i do with it? thanks

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Re: Is this a sensor on the top of my airbox? (ryz252003)

That first picture is an ignition...ignition...ignition something. I can't think of it right now. But yeah, you're going to need that. Mount it somewhere else.
Second picture is the wire going into the top of the MAF. You're going to need that too. You'll see once you open it up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Is this a sensor on the top of my airbox? (Harv)

ok thanks, its good to know its not a sensor and i can just mount it somewhere else. i have one more question about the diverter valve, i bought it off of my freind for $80, it was originally off an evo8 but he had it on his 1.8t jetta and it seemed to work fine, he hasnt given me any other springs though, will i loose performance if it is not the right spring?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Re: Is this a sensor on the top of my airbox? (ryz252003)

dude dont install it. The stock box is good for up to 300hp and it wont give you any gains.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Is this a sensor on the top of my airbox? (zombieattack)

thats true but then i wont get that nice little diverter valve sound

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Re: Is this a sensor on the top of my airbox? (zombieattack)

The one right on top with 2 connections is the ICM (ignition control module), just take it off and mount it somewhere else (away from heat so left side of the engine bay would be best.
The other is just a plug for the MAF wiring, take apart your airbox and you will understand exactly why it's there, to not let air escape.
And installing a cone is alright, you won't see any gains but it will sound a little nicer, especially with an aftermarket dv!
Good luck man!

Modified by czook at 4:27 PM 6-27-2008

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
the ignition control module is bolted to a heat sink for a reason. the intake draws air over the heat sink and cools the unit to give you a more reliable ignition. if your going to make some nice heat barriers between the intake and the engine. go for it. but your best bet would be pick up a small all stainless heat sink from a micro center and bolt the icm up to it in a remote area that gets alot of airflow.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Re: (Elballoonrat)

Or you can just take the heat-sink out of the stock box and mount it along with the ICM where ever you end up placing it. I placed mine on a small piece of sheet metal that I attached to the fender via the sidemount for the stock box that utilizes the rubber bushing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (seank)

thats a good idea i will probably do that when relocating the icm. i went to install the dv tonight and the hoses that go to the stock dv are too small to fit on the new one. any ideas on what to do?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts