VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howzit
I bought this cam last year. Now that i am ready to get this thing in my 2.0 i am doubting the authenticity for some reason.
please help in anyway you possibly can to identify from a few pictures if this cam is indeed a 276.
I realize without measuring the cam lobe there is no real 110% sure way to know. I thought i should try anyway.
The first picture i stole from tdogg (sorry but this is for identification purposes)

now here is my cam

This is some sort of stamp "BG"

notice the "brown paint ring" after the first lobe

Thanks

· Registered
241 Posts
Re: Is this a TT 276 or did i get hosed? (TVR)

it *looks* like it could be an AT270* cam but then again it could be just about any mild cam... you'll have to take some measurements for us to go on

Modified by jerrymic at 1:17 PM 3-20-2010

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (465995a)

Quote, originally posted by 465995a »
TT cams will have a hand engraved part number on the end of the shaft, fairly faint, and looks like bad handwriting.
if it doesnt have it, then it is not TT

A little something like this?

· Registered
21,499 Posts
FV-QR

Like Jerrymic said, that looks like a 270. This lift is almost the same (.449" vs /450"). Measure out the base circle and subtract it from the base to nose measurement.
Also, the script etched onto the end of the cam could be either the cam duration, or a 'run' code. It varies.

· Registered
14,525 Posts
Re: FV-QR (tdogg74)

Measure it
My TT 276 has it scribed on the end of it.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote, originally posted by tdogg74 »
Measure out the base circle and subtract it from the base to nose measurement.

How would i go about measuring the base circle?
I figure to measure the base to nose i would use a digital caliber, right?

Modified by TVR at 9:25 AM 3-21-2010

· Registered
21,499 Posts
FV-QR

Yes, with a caliper.
Base circles on hydro cams are 1.34". If it is used and worn, it will be less. If it is a reground cam, it will be less. With the nose of the lobe facing 12 o'clock, measure the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. Should be at or very close to 1.34" Be as precise as you can. Then measure the base to nose, again being as exact as possible. Then subtract. I say be as precise as possible, because the difference in lift between a 270 and a 276 is .001" +/- .0005".
But looking at your pics, that is NOT a TT276".

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

after about 15 min of making sure i try and get the most accurate measurement. This is the result.
1.340 - 1.780 = 0.44
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.