VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this "Surging"?

Let me first start off by saying, I miss my VR6.

Secondly, whenever it's cold out (epscially now and before the engine really warms up), when I'm at half throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear, the car shakes like crazy. It's like I'm taking my foot off the gas and flooring it super fast. It's so bad that my head even moves back and forth.
Once it warms up though, it's not as bad, but it still does it. Under full throttle I can't really tell....
Any ideas?

- Anthony

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: Is this "Surging"? (adg44)

That's not surge. Check the FAQ for what surge is.
It's just a nuance of the car. But I remember my VR also being "sputtery" when you get into the throttle too much on a cold engine.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts

since I am new to cars I don't know ... but I read something in some other post about "retarded-timing" if the engine is cold ... whatever that means

maybe that will help

·
Premium Member
36,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Is this "Surging"? (Jman5000)

quote:[HR][/HR]That's not surge. Check the FAQ for what surge is.
It's just a nuance of the car. But I remember my VR also being "sputtery" when you get into the throttle too much on a cold engine.[HR][/HR]​
I did read the FAQ about surging.... from what they describe this sounds similar.
Next time I'll try just using stock mode on my chip when it's cold out and see if that helps.
I didn't notice any sputtering with the VR6 when it was cold, unless you just reved it in neutral right after you started it, then it backfired like crazy.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I did read the FAQ about surging.... from what they describe this sounds similar. [HR][/HR]​
I guess I was pointing out "between the lines" information. You have to be in boost, hence surge improbability if you're just getting going in the AM. If you're getting into boost on a cold engine...don't.

·
Premium Member
36,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Is this "Surging"? (Jman5000)

Alright it did this again last night after I had been driving 20 miles straight. In 2nd or 3rd gear around 2500 -3500 RPM, if I'm at like 1/3 throttle (my boost guage usually reads around .3-.4 bar) the car violently starts "surging" is the best way that I can describe it. The boost guage doesn't show me fluctuating in boost at all though, it just isn't smooth at all.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

For the record, it happened to me too. It was pretty cold out (around 0 C), and I was just pulling out from the gas station. First gear was fine, then 2nd came, and at around 2.2k rpm, the car was jolting back and forth, as though I didn't know how to shift. Something somewhere was making some clunking noise as well.
It freaked me out, and I put my Bug back into neutral as fast as I can. I coasted for a second or two before I attempted to put her back in 2nd. Then everything was fine again.
Any ideas?

-Rick

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Re: Is this "Surging"? (Traum)

Souns like either a spark plug or coilpack on the way out to me. If you have or know somebody with VAG-COM check for DTC's. If you have any misfires logged than that validates what I said above.
Don

[Modified by coolvdub, 10:22 AM 12-1-2002]

·
Premium Member
36,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Is this "Surging"? (coolvdub)

quote:[HR][/HR]Souns like either a spark plug or coilpack on the way out to me. If you have or know somebody with VAG-COM check for DTC's. If you have any misfires logged than that validates what I said above.
Don

[Modified by coolvdub, 10:22 AM 12-1-2002][HR][/HR]​
Any other symptoms of a bad coil pack or spark plug?

·
Registered
590 Posts

My car was developing a nasty habit of surging, with the engine cold or warm. Sometimes under light thottle, the turbo would spool way up. I am not chipped or modified in any way.
The dealer replaced a bad fuel pump relay and that cured most of the surging. The engine still surges some, worse than when it was new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts