VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intermittent problem when the check engine light is on. Always when I am driving along and the the engine temp is around 90. The engine kicks out with beeping from the dash and the oil light is on.....pull off the gas and she comes right back.
This may happen several times during the time the engine is around this temperature. If I can get it to cool down,..no problem.
All fluids are fine.
Can it be a sensor that is causing this?
Any advise or help?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Re: Is this an oxygen sensor problem?? (dpvw)

I had the same thing....dealership hooked my car up to the computer and they said it was the O2 sensor. I haven't had it replaced yet though, it only does it (hesitate) when the car is hot and stuck in traffic. I will have to have it changed before the emissions test...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Is this an oxygen sensor problem?? (lowNslo)

Thanks for confirm what I thought!
Lucky for us here is QC,..we don't have to go through those tests. We just have to put up with the political cra# and monster pot holes!
How much damage can this cause to the engine if it is not changed? Does it affect the engine at all? You and I haven't changed it out probably for the same reason,..$$$
Cheers

·
Registered
328 Posts
Re: Is this an oxygen sensor problem?? (dpvw)

Its not just a symptom of the oxy sensor. Its a symptom of many closely related things.
1. Clean your throttle body.
2. If there is a crankvase pV valve and hose, check them and make sure there's no oil in them.
3. Remove the oxy sensor and check for oil on it. clean it and refit it clearly.
4. Check the contacts where it mates to the bulkhead briding point, clean those contacts as they get a lot (and thats a whole lot) of dust, rain, oil and god knows what else.
5. If all of this fails. then consider the sensor itself. Not before.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Is this an oxygen sensor problem?? (BGomes)

"4. Check the contacts where it mates to the bulkhead briding point, clean those contacts as they get a lot (and thats a whole lot) of dust, rain, oil and god knows what else."
What are you refering to? The O2 sensor? Where is it found on the car?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts