VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a weird grinding/chortling sound when I am in gear and accelerating. This is what makes me think its the clutch or flywheel. The RPMs do not skip around, but as soon as I depress the clutch pedal or take my foot off the gas the sounds goes away.... I have 125k miles on the car and am still with the original clutch and flywheel.... It does seem to become a little louder when I am turning right... Which is odd, but I do have an LSD so maybe that strains the clutch more?

I know its a vague question but replacing clutches is expensive so Id like to be more sure before I order parts...

· Registered
4,676 Posts
Only time I ever heard noise from a gearbox was when my diff rivets let go and it exploded. I've had 2 clutches go and neither was ever accomponied by noise, just slippage and reving while cruising. I doubt its the LSD since they are pretty bulletproof but maybe has something to do with how it was installed?

· Registered
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Release bearing maybe?
Can you tell me what the release bearing does?

EDIT - Did some reading, seems like throwout/release bearings make more noise when the clutch pedal is not depressed and the car is in neutral.... Mine is the opposite... The car is in gear and Im accelerating, putting load on the engine.... But maybe its a main bearing in there somewhere?

· Registered
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a bad input shaft bearing.
If I replace the Clutch and Flywheel (and throwout bearing). Is that a good time to replace the input shaft bearing too? Do you have a part number?

I ordered a clutch and flywheel from ECS (I figure if its not that I have 125k on the stock its going to go anyday anyways....).

I'll try and make a recording of it tonight on my phone and upload it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.