VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At about 8:30 this morning I was pulling out of my apartment complex to go to work. Because I live on the access road next to a major highway I have to pretty much gun it to get a spot in all the traffic. I do this every morning. But today i noticed my oil cap loose light come on. Has anyone experienced this while there where driving,
P.S
i have never taken the oil cap off or messed with it since I'v had the car.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Re: (metrofean)

Quote, originally posted by metrofean »
I have checked the levels for the second time this week. But to be honest I don't really think the levels will effect the position of the oil cap.

are you sure this light that is on your dash signifies "loose oil cap?"
why dont you just tighten it? i know its sorta a rough half a turn, but its do-able

·
Registered
466 Posts
Re: Is this normal? (metrofean)

The computer probably monitors engine vacuum and has decided that a change in vacuum indicates the oil cap is loose. It will do the same with the fuel evap system if you do not put the fuel cap back on.
If the cap is not loose then I would probably see a dealer to find out what is going on, especially if you are under warrantee.
I hope you are not hitting WOT with a cold engine, that's never good.
Good luck.

Modified by WLF at 12:13 PM 9-12-2008

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Re: (metrofean)

General consesus is that revving the motor higher than 3k RPM or so before the oil (read, not water temp, oil temp) warms up may put additional wear and tear on the motor as it's not being lubricated properly at higher RPM.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Re: (b0mb3r)

i really hope that it isnt the pcv, but I already tightned the oil and the light is off. we will see if it happens again. that would suck if it is the pcv because i am gettting the revo demo today. I guess i will have to hold off. there isnt any oil that i can see outside of the oil cap but when i took it off this morning there was some around the part that screws in.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Re: Is this normal? (metrofean)

sometimes things can just be loose too...is the car new? fairly new? maybe it just came loose and there is no problem...if you say you tightened it and it's fine now I would think no problem, I've had little things like screws and caps loose before...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.