VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this repairable?? UPDATED

Here is quick update on my cracked lower valence. After some blood, sweat and cursing, I managed to get it off without breaking any of the clips.
A local body shop recommend some stuff called '3M Duramix' which worked wonders reattaching the broken piece. I first sanding it down using 150 grit paper before attaching it. If you eva gotta do something like, DO NOT get this Duramix **** on your hands...its a nightmare to get off. You literally have to sand it off your fingertips.
After letting it set and cure for 2 hrs, I sanded all the excess off with 150 grit paper which took about 1.5 to get it really smooth. Now I'm ready to use a little bit of body filler to fill in some very minor chips.
All in all, this isn't very hard, but it quite time consuming. I'll keep ya posted on how the priming and painting goes.

7:03 PM 11-28-2006
I have also posted this in the 'body work' forum, but there is a lot more activity here, so I hoping I could get a quicker response.......
Its -35C up here in Calgary right now and lots of packed down frozen snow making parking lots ice rinks. I took an unexpected slide in the parking lot at work today and hit the curb. Being so freakin cold, my lower front valence didn't absorb the impact very well.

I dont really know the first thing about body work and what is/isn't repairable. I was wondering if this looks like it can be repaired or will I have to replace the entire thing?? I know the lower valence can be seperated from the main bumper, but I'm still lookin at $469 cdn from the dealer just for the lower valence.
I did a search to try find something similar but didn't come across anything.

Modified by dakkoo at 5:34 PM 1-2-2007

· Registered
2,146 Posts
Re: Is this repairable?? (dakkoo)

bump, i got a decent size crack, not as bad as this, but someone said it wont be able to be able to be fixed cuz of the material its made out of. true or false?

· Registered
10,909 Posts
Re: Is this repairable?? (GrkTurbo)

Quote, originally posted by GrkTurbo »
It should be repairable. Some bondo and you should be go to go.

what the hell is wrong with you.
To the OP fusor will fix that. run a search for it there are quite a few threads about the product.

· Registered
5,657 Posts
Re: Is this repairable?? (dakkoo)

i'm not sure how they fix these things, but if its anything like how they repair motorcycle plastics then that is def repairable. like someone mentioned above it might be cheaper just to buy a new valence tho. plastic welding is all it is. they just melt the parts back together then fill it and repaint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.