VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am gonna replace the timing belt and tensioner, the water pump, and the cam front crank and auxiliary seals in my 86 gti 8v. is this something i can do on my own or should i pay the 200 bux for installation?

· Registered
4,333 Posts
Re: is this something i can do? (BigSkizzy)

how am i supposed to know if you can do it, i don't even know if you have limbs.
airtools really help to get the crank bolt off, but there are other ways as well. a timing light takes out the guesswork. the tensioner tool is nice to have but not mandatory. hit all the timing marks with a dab of paint for visibility. if you don't have ps and a/c it will knock off like an hour of fumbling with brackets and cussing, and negate the need for a stubby 22mm box wrench for the damn ac belt tensioner. it's a satisfying job though- the parts will only total about $25 (belt, tensioner, seals, v/c gasket, and acc belts) and it's got to be a $200 at a shop. with a non interference 8v you don't have much to lose.

· Registered
15,431 Posts
Re: is this something i can do? (EbraketurnGTI)

$200 aint a bad deal, but i've only replaced these parts on a 16v so at $150 for timing belt, tensioner, lifters, cams, and v/c gasket, it was easy to make that decision. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are but its not hard to do.

· Registered
1,013 Posts
Re: is this something i can do? (BigSkizzy)

for $200 id pay to have it done --if you are asking --if this is something you can do-you will have a tough time --but if you have some patience,tools,bently and decent mechanical ability you can do it --if it were diesel or 16v-it would definetly be -no --since its an 8v buy couple of
invite some people over and get to it -

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.