·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 gti 1.8t
awd
apr 91 octane
tt225 dv
ok, when i'm at highway speed in 5th gear and i punch the gas, it seems like i run out of power. the feeling is similar to missing sparkplugs, or like it isn't getting enough fuel. the power band is smooth up until around 5000 rpm, the its like i'm driving through pea soup.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (VolksDude)

Quote, originally posted by VolksDude »
Well...surging is more like turbo boosts to 15psi, then goes down to 14, and goes back to 15....really annoying!!

thanks...i know that. unfortunately, i have no boost guage. can you describe the feeling of surging?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Re: (speedmetalgti)

i alwasy thought surging was the quick fluctuation...i have a similar problem around 5000 rpm in 5th gear, but its slower, boost drops to 6-7, then up a few seconds later, then back down after a few seconds.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Re: is this surging? please read. (speedmetalgti)

Surging is power undulation, almost like going through the swells on a rollercoaster.
You are describing the limitations of your stock exhaust. Back pressure from the 2.17" stock piping drops power past 5000 rpm. Expect to regain most of it with a >2.5" turbo back system.
You will find most gains just from changing out the downpipe.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: is this surging? please read. (paultakeda)

Does surging dammage the enging at all or does it only make for a bad ride

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have an 80mm (3inch+) jetex system installed and surely attributed to the hike in power and boost (taken into account other mods). I have a similar scenario of boost hiking to 15 and holding for a second or so, then slowly down to 14 than up again, holding at 15 for longer periods. I thought that it may be normal since before this mod, the boost readings would be less but displaying similar charateristics. Does this mean exhaust gases are still being restricted and i need to get a dp or a free flowing catpipe?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: is this surging? please read. (paultakeda)

Quote, originally posted by paultakeda »
Surging is power undulation, almost like going through the swells on a rollercoaster.
You are describing the limitations of your stock exhaust. Back pressure from the 2.17" stock piping drops power past 5000 rpm. Expect to regain most of it with a >2.5" turbo back system.
You will find most gains just from changing out the downpipe.

i guess i should have also mentioned that i have the TDI midpipe with the Autotech exhaust. i still have the stock downpipe, though. Can the stock downpipe really cause what i'm experiencing?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Re: is this surging? please read. (speedmetalgti)

im pretty sure youre experiencing limp mode. you overboost at a certain point and the ecu freaks out and takes away all your fun. you should get a boost gauge. at limp mode you cant boost past 5 psi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts