VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Is this the engine that performance companies will concentrate on? (joshuajmurray)

It's not Al. and the 24v in GLI and GTI have variable intake timing. The R32 and I assume all other 3.2s get variable intake and exhaust timing. I can't wait 'til someone develops this motor N/A.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Re: Is this the engine that performance companies will concentrate on? (Maxt2)

Quote, originally posted by Maxt2 »
anyone have concrete details on the variable valve timing system VW uses?? i didnt even know vw had VVT!!!
diagrams, etc would be cool. i wonder how similar to VTEC it is.

Both the North American 2.8l and 3.2l VR6 engines use VVT, which is cam phasing, not variable lift. So it's not terribly similar to VTEC.
Here's a link that will help you understand the difference if you don't already:
http://autozine.kyul.net/techn...1.htm
I cannot say whether the 3.2 VR6 is a new design or not, but I'd be suprised if it was all aluminum. VW seems to have something against aluminum engines. Go figure.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Re: Is this the engine that performance companies will concentrate on? (Vee-aR-6ix)

There are already companies in europe making aftermarket parts and cams for the 3.2 n.a. and claiming 300hp Hope this helps

·
Registered
636 Posts
Re: Is this the engine that performance companies will concentrate on? (rracerguy717)

intake cam can very 52 degrees, exhaust 22 degrees. 2.8l 24v is the same displacement as the 12 valve. 3.2l is much better, they changed the delfection angle of the intake runners to valves- more power. Lots of goodies they worked in. Too bad we get ****ty gas in oregon, lots of touregs come in with regular- causes them to run funny- 11.3:1 isnt suposed to be run on REGULAR! damn people.

·
Registered
18,549 Posts
Re: Is this the engine that performance companies will concentrate on? (joshuajmurray)

I'll be very surprised if it's the same as the 2.8L block.
There's a fairly persistent rumor floating around that the MkV R36 (available 2006ish)
starts with the 3.2L block, and is bored out to 3.6L. We *know* that no current 2.8L
block can do that. We also know that HPA/HPG are pushing 550-600hp through the 3.2L
block changing nothing but the connecting rods and adding a big fat head spacer (7:1
compression), so again, I doubt that it's an extremely bored out 2.8.
As for the "simple bolt ons" argument.
According to AmD, the R32 motor is good for 270hp with chip and exhaust, and 300hp with
chip+exhaust+cams. Also The R32's whp numbers are always misleading, as so far
every dyno run I've seen has been from a 4 wheel dyno, thus it's running at its maximum drivetrain
loss. On the road, once you're past 1st and 2nd gear Haldex makes this basically a
FWD car just towing around an unloaded rear drivetrain. It's going to put a lot more
power down to the ground at the front wheels, than what you'll see on an AWD dyno.
(BTW, rumor has it, that like the TTq, you can pull the e-brake all the way up to disable
Haldex, and run it on a 2 wheel dyno).
ian

21 - 26 of 26 Posts