VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched around and found that the 2010 Jetta WE has the GLI suspension. Is this true? I am happy with the way it handles and very comfortable but would like a lower stance, would lowering springs be adequate or should I just take the plunge and get coilovers?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks alot. any suggestions? I will be getting APR intake, TBE, and stage II tune this spring (same as my friends gti, and 1st gear is like pointless due to wheel spin) Upgraded suspension will help keep the front down and straight under heavier acceleration right?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
ok thanks alot. any suggestions? I will be getting APR intake, TBE, and stage II tune this spring (same as my friends gti, and 1st gear is like pointless due to wheel spin) Upgraded suspension will help keep the front down and straight under heavier acceleration right?
Correct, if you go with a more performance oriented coilover set up, or just something that is damping adjustable. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
i'm not sure if that's true or not, but i would just go for coils, they're more expensive than just springs but you get more of a drop, lowering springs really don't drop it much to be noticeable, from what Ive seen :thumbup:
This is not true.... It depends on what lowering springs you buy. If you buy the ones that say 1 inch drop, yes theyes are not noticeable. If you buy the ones that say 2 inch drop they are noticeable. I have neuspeed race springs and they are a huge difference compared to stock and compared to the neuspeed sport springs. It all depends the choices....

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the KONI coilovers installed on my 2010 Jetta WE... love 'em. They go plenty low for me, ate up ALL of the wheelgap and then some riding on the stock 17" portos. I don't have any decent pics yet, let me know if you want to see how it looks and I will get some good pics taken soon.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am pretty sure the WE has the GLI susp setup including sway bar. but only the 2.0T model.. the 2.5 models do not.. Im wearing H&R race springs and im in love with the look.. have a 1/4 in gap to fender in front and a 1/2 in in the rear.. but thats all my Parkway(Driveway) will allow before bottoming out.. also keep your eyes open for a dogbone mount insert.. really helps with traction if you dont mind a slight vibration at idle..(which isnt much at all, prob wont even notice) It prevents motor movement and helps with wheel hop.. poly motor mounts also help with this.. if you decide to go with springs its in your best intrest to get shorter end links as well.. Keep us posted man.. get some photos up..

·
Registered
83 Posts
That would be great. Also, are the stock WE brakes GTI brakes in front? I just posted a thread but maybe you can help me out.
Again it depends on what motor they put in there.. If 2.0T than most likely.. do you know your rotor size? 288mm F 260mm R would be 2.5. so if there lager than this than most likely they would have a GLI brake setup...

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
That would be great. Also, are the stock WE brakes GTI brakes in front? I just posted a thread but maybe you can help me out.
In your case I am almost positive that the 2010 WE does have the GLI suspension set up because 2009 was the last year for the GLI and in 2010 they gave to WE model an upgrade with alot of GLI components. From my understanding (could be wrong) but the 2009 and older does not have the GLI suspension, only the 2010 model. Reason being, they are not going to put GLI suspension on a GLI and a WE of the same year (2007-2009). But I have been proven wrong, Im just going off of what I have read / learned / told.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input guys :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. Molgren, your car looks sweet, but just a little too low for me. I would love to paint my stock wheels like that or even gunmetal grey before investing in a new set. and 2.5low, my front rotors are 312mm and rear are 286mm, so im assuming this is the GLI setup.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
also, does this mean I can purchase lowering springs for a GTI for my Jetta WE? In the classifieds theres a set of brand new eibach sportlines for a GTI in NJ for sale cheap and would like to pick them up until I have enough $ for coilovers. Are the GTI springs interchangeable with mine?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
also, does this mean I can purchase lowering springs for a GTI for my Jetta WE? In the classifieds theres a set of brand new eibach sportlines for a GTI in NJ for sale cheap and would like to pick them up until I have enough $ for coilovers. Are the GTI springs interchangeable with mine?

In this case when using springs made for a GTI the springs might sit ever so-slightly "lower" because the spring load for a GTI is far less than a Jetta. Jettas weigh more than a GTI thus compressing the springs more lowering the suspension more. But I would say the difference would be minimal if anything. On my 08 WE I am running springs I bought off a friend of mine who bought them for his GTI.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
And sportlines aren't the big drop for lowering springs... If you are looking for a good low then you need to find race or ultra low... Sport or sportlines are just a minimal drop... And yes gti is interchangeable but like the previous person said they will give you a slight more low because of the weight difference

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I just want to close up the gap. I dont want to be to low, just want a more aggressive stance, better handling, without sacrificing too much ride quality.
These are Neuspeed race springs on stock shocks and struts

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.