VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
38,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Out of nowhere, I got served a Volvo ad on social media the other day so I was looking through their current lineup and it was... impressive.

Great looking vehicles inside and out, they seem to cover all the popular bases here for Premium CUV's, a couple of sedans and wagons. Gassers, EVs and plug-in hybrids.

It occurred to me that in all the many, many What Should I Buy® threads in TCL, I have never seen a Volvo recommended.

So... do I hold these cars in higher esteem than others? Are they not class-competitive? If so, in what ways?

Their marketing (website included) is all very feminine, so maybe that's why it doesn't pop for this forum?

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2014 Mazda3 Sport 2.0 6MT / 2001 Mazda Miata 1.8 6MT
7,953 Posts
I really do find they're the best styled luxury cars out there. All the cars & wagons are beautiful...even the SUVs are really nice. Other than the price, the thing that puts me off is the expected reliability, small turbocharged engines in heavy vehicles and a less sporty transverse approach. Also Chinese-owned, whih matters to me. Still nice af.

I'm guessing that for a luxury car brand, they have the 'wrong' badge for its target market.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Interesting question, and also timely - last night I was out walking with my son and saw an XC40 Recharge and wondered to myself why I see so few Volvos, despite them making such nice looking cars.

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
10,496 Posts
I am a big Volvo fan, but am also worried about long-term reliability of these fancy 4-bangers they have. Also the infotainment is kind of chit right now. The thing about reliability though is that we are entering an era of life-finite EVs that could change our whole concept of car reliability as it is. What once lasted 20 years with basic maintenance will maybe no longer be the case.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I’ve owned a couple Volvos and generally am a fan of the brand. In the mid-2000s I think their quality and imagine took a hit a bit after the Ford ownership cheapened out a lot of their vehicles, but since their renaissance in their latest vehicles, starting with the new XC90 in ‘15/‘16, I think they have generally been praised and lauded for their interior and exterior design by journalists and the overall car community. They were getting a lot of press a few years ago for the huge investments they had made in updating all their models, and how nice they were.

I think the hype has died down a little bit now since they’ve mostly just been updating their line-up to follow the new brand language for the past few years, and the quirks of the new vehicles have been popping up. From what I understand, the latest generations of vehicles have had some reliability issues and tech glitches. Their powertrains have gotten pretty crazy complicated on the high-end stuff like their turbo/supercharged/hybrid combo power units.

It’s cool tech and interesting solutions made with typical Volvo comfort and style, but I think the tech and complexity has gotten a little scary for some consumers. These are definite lease cars now, not owned cars. My old 850 and S60R were super easy to work on and do all the mechanical stuff on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nealric

·
Registered
Giulia, HRV, Ranger
3,461 Posts
similar problem to Alfa - no dealers. Closest Volvo dealer is 45min away and they have 3 cars on the lot. Even before the pandemic, they held v low inventory so hard to test drive the products.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Forgotten, nah, at least not in DFW. They are all over the place, especially in nicer neighborhoods the XC90 is one of the rides of choice. My family has owned them since 1984 and I have never seen as many around as I do today. Really happy to see how well they are doing. A family friend just added an XC90 to their garage along with a V60. 👍

·
Premium Member
'08 Saab 9-3, '66 Vespa
8,772 Posts
I see Volvos all over the place, maybe just because I pay more attention to Swedish cars now. I have a few coworkers with Volvos. I agree, they do have very nice styling right now. However, they also do a lot of things a really don't like, i.e. automatic only everything, big screens everywhere, mega complicated highly stressed small engines, etc.

·
Registered
21,108 Posts
The V60 and V90 are some of the best looking cars currently on the market, IMO, but the prospect of owning a turbo+supercharged+plug-in hybrid Volvo out of warranty is pretty terrifying to me.

I think they will do well as they continue their move toward electric which will mitigate most of the reliability issues.

I think this would be a rad lease
Rectangle Font Brand Circle Logo

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Blue, 2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe
22,381 Posts
The forgotten premium brand? Nah, that's Jaguar.

As for Volvo, great styling across most of their lineup but hated when they ditched the I5s. That hybridsuperturbocharging business is a hard pass for me from a pre-owned perspective.

Too bad because Mr. Geese owns one and makes it look appealing in spite of the iffy quality.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,179 Posts
Forgotten by who? I know 3 people with Volvos that are less than 5 yrs old. I see them semi-frequently around me. But they're kind boring overall, so I don't think most enthusiast or people around here have much to say about them. Though I did start a thread recently about a Polestar 2 I drove recently. I think the Polestar 1 is neat, but I don't think they're available any longer and we're fairly limited production IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
A couple of CUVs
2,596 Posts
Not forgotten for me as XC60s and XC90s are fairly ubiquitous in SE PA. Very handsome vehicles that don't drive as well as the Germans in terms of engine/transmission performance and ride/handling balance, but certainly good enough for the 35-70 year old women I usually see captaining the CUVs mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
The forgotten premium brand? Nah, that's Jaguar.
Accurate

Volvo isn't mentioned on here because it's not a performance brand or a car magazine darling. IMO they look great in and out but they have pretty meh mechanicals which are more important to me. Once they start going all electric I think they will be more interesting......... the little XC40 EV makes 400HP (but costs $55K+ :( )

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Chy-nah.

No but for real, they make beautiful cars. I work with a guy who’s wife has a newer S90 T6 “Inscription” and what a vehicle. Amazing road presence, the thing looks utterly phenomenal in person. Low slung, squared off, it’s like bat mobile. The inside is nice and whatever branded stereo is in it is unbelievably good for its cost. Like wow. I know we’re apples to oranges here but it EATS the Bang and Olufsen one in our Explorers breakfast, lunch AND dinner.

Reactions: daev

·
Registered
22,302 Posts
I would have to agree on the dealer network thing. I had to think HARD for where the nearest Volvo dealer is, and I was a huge fan of the C30. I think that their marketing department is dropping the ball by not pushing their offerings hard, and they are diluting it by pushing Polestar as a separate brand. Volvo is small enough, making a sub-brand instead of a trim line seems odd. I would agree, especially their premium stuff, is NICE. Hardly any indication that it is made in China.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I darn near bought an XC90 R Design before I went Audi. THey are premium, and bordering on luxury - I think a few more generations will get them there - but they aren't quite there yet.

I didn't pull the trigger because for that price, I expect a 6 cylinder engine at minimum. But it was a lovely vehicle, and they had THE best seats I have ever planted my *** in. I almost bought the car based on the seats alone.

Reactions: Sporin

·
Premium Member
'21 M2 6MT, '18 RS3, '21 S60 T8R
3,303 Posts
Chy-nah.

No but for real, they make beautiful cars. I work with a guy who’s wife has a newer S90 T6 “Inscription” and what a vehicle. Amazing road presence, the thing looks utterly phenomenal in person. Low slung, squared off, it’s like bat mobile. The inside is nice and whatever branded stereo is in it is unbelievably good for its cost. Like wow. I know we’re apples to oranges here but it EATS the Bang and Olufsen one in our Explorers breakfast, lunch AND dinner.
Nothing Volvo makes for the US market is built in China, except the S90 which sells so slow its order only now.
The sound system you heard was Bowers and Wilkins, and it is infact awesome.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
38,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting, thanks for the quick replies. A lot of what you all are saying is what I suspected.

6cylVWguy "forgotten" is a rhetorical term, obviously. They sell 100k cars per year in the US alone, my point was their relative lack of discussion here, and on many other auto forums.

But I think what @masa8888 says below is pretty on the nose...

They're the Mazda of the premium segment. Nicely styled inside and out, focus on comfort over sport, underappreciated in the market, spotty dealer network, with questionable long term outlook.
The engine over-complexity is something that turns me off as well. Then again, my last(only) Volvo was 240 Wagon. :D

1 - 20 of 122 Posts