VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
638 Posts
I love the current styling and interior designs from Volvo but the gas powertrains leave a lot to be desired in my opinion. Perhaps with the shift to electrification it eliminates that issue. I still see a bunch around here so I wouldn't say they are completely forgotten even though it seems as though they invest very little in marketing in the US market.

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
20,696 Posts
They have nice styling inside and out but chalk me up as also being skeptical of a Chinese-owned brand. They might still be built in Sweden or elsewhere in Europe, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they source their materials like steel from sketchy Chinese manufacturers. Similar to what Tata did with Jaguar.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
They have nice styling inside and out but chalk me up as also being skeptical of a Chinese-owned brand. They might still be built in Sweden or elsewhere in Europe, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they source their materials like steel from sketchy Chinese manufacturers. Similar to what Tata did with Jaguar.
there has been nothing in the last 10 years of ownership to suggest being Chinese owned has done anything but improve the brand. People forget they also had to fix the perception from the Ford owned years. Some argue those were some of the worst years for Volvo.

·
Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
4,270 Posts
I hope to buy one if they keep the good looks up but add in a hot EV drivetrain. And no, I dont think the Polestar brand is equal to the Volvo offerings. more bland, more plastic, and less luxe.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
20,696 Posts
I missed this, what happen?
I can’t speak to this with first hand knowledge, but I have seen chatter on forums and other places that F-Type owners began complaining of premature rust and corrosion issues. Some have determined the culprit to be cheap, low quality steel sourced from Tata Steel. I’m sure that others here know much more than I do, or can refute what I read/heard.

·
Registered
2020 Jetta GLI Autobahn Black Package
425 Posts
Chy-nah.

No but for real, they make beautiful cars. I work with a guy who’s wife has a newer S90 T6 “Inscription” and what a vehicle. Amazing road presence, the thing looks utterly phenomenal in person. Low slung, squared off, it’s like bat mobile. The inside is nice and whatever branded stereo is in it is unbelievably good for its cost. Like wow. I know we’re apples to oranges here but it EATS the Bang and Olufsen one in our Explorers breakfast, lunch AND dinner.
I love how I stumbled upon this thread, as my brother just purchased a 18 s90 T6 inscription Wednesday. They are amazing vehicles, and the sound system is the same $3500 bower and wilkins option as the 21s and is simply the most amazing sound system in a car I have ever heard in my life. As for reliability it’s yet to be seen, but the features haven’t changed since 2018 really,so I’d recommend if you are interested in one to get a CPO, as you can extend the factory Volvo bumper to bumper and maintenance to 100k miles. The finance guy said honestly for peak trade in, regardless of time trade the car back in at around 90-100k miles. The car has 20k and my brother goes about 17.5k a year, so he’ll be well into positive equity by then.

·
Registered
DFW • ’21 V60 CC
671 Posts
I got this Pine Grey (greenish grey) over brown 2021 V60 last year after the lease on my ’18 XC60 ended (a Chinese-built one, for that matter), and I’m a big fan.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Sky

Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Car Motor vehicle

I liked the XC60 as well, but this wagon fits me a little better, size-wise. I don’t need an SUV, and I like sitting just a little lower to the ground. Volvo’s interiors are beautiful, everything is well-laid out, and they drive well. The engine sounds a little coarse when you wind it out, sure, but it’s got plenty of pickup and with this being the T5 turbocharged-only engine, I’m not too worried about reliability. In the three years I had the XC60, nothing ever went wrong with it, and so far, this one has been smooth sailing as well.

I’ve driven Volvos for the last 10 years (P2 S60, P2 XC70, SPA XC60, and now this one) and this last one is my favorite. I still miss the seats in the P2 XC70, those were the best I’ve experienced, but everything else about this V60 is perfect—lots of functionality, the same tech that made the ’18 XC60 great, but in a prettier package (imho).

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 325ic, both blue
2,647 Posts
So wait, you can still get a non-plastic-cladded V60??? That car is beautiful. I didn’t know the T5 were turbo-only, I’d be inclined to go that route as well.

·
Registered
DFW • ’21 V60 CC
671 Posts
No, this is a Cross Country with the plastic cladding. It doesn’t stand out very much because of the color of the car, but it’s there. It doesn’t bother me much, but that’s probably because I used to have an XC70 which was a much worse offender in the cladding department.

The T5 is turbo only, has 250hp, and got an easy 32mpg while cruising from DFW to Port Aransas and back last week.

Like someone else mentioned above, there are a surprising number of Volvos in the DFW area. Four separate dealer groups sell the brand, so I’m sure that has something to do with it—you’re never far from a dealer. Also: Volvo has this concierge service now—like Lexus used to do, they pick up your car for service now, and leave a loaner. I don’t have to visit the dealership at all if I don’t want to.

·
Premium Member
10,884 Posts
Forgotten? I suppose I forgot about them when they stopped making thoroughbred sport sedans.
Thoroughbred???

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,181 Posts
I’ve over-posted the ‘07 S60 I still have, which has completed three cross-country runs to date, and has the best seats for long distance drives I’ve ever had the pleasure of sitting in.

Cloud Sky Vehicle registration plate Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Tire

Yes the ride is a tad crunchy. But it kept pace with that Carrera on some great back roads, and was fun doing it - not 911-level fun, but, still.

And like everyone else, I’m a little leery of the supercharged and turbocharged four cylinder motivating something bigger like an XC90. I see them in traffic in Los Angeles, and the engine sounds like it’s always working overtime at high revs to move the thing along.

Having said that, I saw this in traffic the other day...

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

..a lightly modded V90 wagon with a roof box and some nice wheels, looking mighty tempting. They really are great designs, inside and out. Now if only it had a nice, 450hp in-line five....

·
Premium Member
10,884 Posts
In 2004? Lotsa people crossed shopped S60R with E46 M3 and B5 S4. If Volvo stilled made an S60R it’d probably be AWD 450hp.
I cross shopped my TLX with a 340i. It's not a 340i competitor

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I got this Pine Grey (greenish grey) over brown 2021 V60 last year after the lease on my ’18 XC60 ended (a Chinese-built one, for that matter), and I’m a big fan.

View attachment 129174
View attachment 129175
I liked the XC60 as well, but this wagon fits me a little better, size-wise. I don’t need an SUV, and I like sitting just a little lower to the ground. Volvo’s interiors are beautiful, everything is well-laid out, and they drive well. The engine sounds a little coarse when you wind it out, sure, but it’s got plenty of pickup and with this being the T5 turbocharged-only engine, I’m not too worried about reliability. In the three years I had the XC60, nothing ever went wrong with it, and so far, this one has been smooth sailing as well.

I’ve driven Volvos for the last 10 years (P2 S60, P2 XC70, SPA XC60, and now this one) and this last one is my favorite. I still miss the seats in the P2 XC70, those were the best I’ve experienced, but everything else about this V60 is perfect—lots of functionality, the same tech that made the ’18 XC60 great, but in a prettier package (imho).
WOW! Thats just freaking beautiful. I think I am in love.

The one I drove a few weeks ago was white with a blonde interior and I liked it very much.

·
Registered
A chili pepper and a little gator.
7,724 Posts
I cross shopped my TLX with a 340i. It's not a 340i competitor
It was an awd 300hp turbo I5 with a 6MT, Ohlins tuned electronically adjustable shocks, and fixed caliper brembo brakes. All in 2004. Even the M5 at the time only had Sachs dampers and floating calipers.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts