VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to start a general discussion on the topic perhaps.

First of all, I love the new iteration of Volvo. I believe it perfectly encompasses a sort of car that should come out of Sweden. Modern, sexy, but no nonsense either, no jagged lines like a Lexus but still distinctive enough to turn heads (well at least for us I guess) and different enough from the typically more conservative German design language.

That being said, I recently priced out a fully loaded V90 Cross Country just for the hell of it. This car is probably best comparable to a A6 Allroad which we obviously don't get here, but in any case, with options and features that really aren't out of place on a VW Golf nowadays it came out to a whopping $85,000 CAD. Which is just...:eek::eek: For a Volvo? it will probably be around $50k in 2-3 years, if that.

Do you guys think Volvo has what it takes to stay relevant for years to come? I'd hate to see them go the way of Saab, but with these astronomical prices, the fact that I've seen maybe, 1 new S90 on the road, and cars like the V60, V60 Cross Country and S60 Cross Country that I think sell next to nothing, I can really see Volvo either becoming solely SUV/CUV or failing..

Thoughts?

·
Registered
13,859 Posts
I think the next-gen S60/V60/XC60 trio are going to prove that to me. If those are a success I think Volvo will be fine.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes-Benz 300SL
32,168 Posts
They need to revitalize the V60's interior. Woof.
It has been out for around seven years with only minor updates. The completely new 60-series lineup will be out by next year, the XC60 is coming first very soon.

·
Registered
Impreza | '86 RX-7 | Ninja 400
11,071 Posts
Yes, Volvo is pushing all the right buttons right now. 85k CAD for their flagship wagon is on par with competition, if not cheaper.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I feel that Volvo lost its way years ago when it abandoned the "safe family car" image. Every few days, I see a Subaru ad and think to myself, "Where is the Volvo marketing team?" Instead, Volvo has been directed to compete with the luxury market, which means fighting for market share against brands like Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, & Mercedes. However, Volvo's products have no clear brand message to me. Does Volvo want to be know as the sportiest brand? most luxurious? most technology-driven? most value-oriented? or just the most most IKEA-inspired???.

But somehow, their new marketing strategy seems to be working! In 2015, for example, Volvo experienced record car sales of over 500,000 for the first time in their company history:
Based on what I have read, Volvo is focused on luxury because of what parent company Geely has planned for the future. My understanding is that Geely plans to introduce the new Lynk & Co car brand to the Chinese, European, and North American markets over the next couple of years. This Chinese-built, Volvo-design-based brand is expected to be positioned between Geely Automobile (economy) and Volvo (luxury) brands, and it will complete with mainstream brands like Ford, Hyundai, VW, etc. Time will tell if Lync & Co is accepted worldwide.

NOTE: I am a former 2-Volvo owner who abandoned them a few years after the S40/V50 was discontinued. The S60 is beautiful, but I do not want a luxury/near-luxury car . . . and if I were, then Audi and Infiniti offer much more bang for the buck to me.

Regards,

Qualls

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
When I priced one out the way I wanted it, I didn't find the price outrageous. It seemed to fit in with what I consider to be its competitors and actually seem like the value pick. I'm really hoping the V60 will look like a smaller V90. I love the new Volvo wagon, but the V90 is ENORMOUS in person.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes-Benz 300SL
32,168 Posts
I feel that Volvo lost its way years ago when it abandoned the "safe family car" image.
Uhh... They definitely have not abandoned that.

Instead, Volvo has been directed to compete with the luxury market, which means fighting for market share against brands like Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, & Mercedes. However, Volvo's products have no clear brand message to me. Does Volvo want to be know as the sportiest brand? most luxurious? most technology-driven? most value-oriented? or just the most most IKEA-inspired???.
I don't think you have been paying attention to what Volvo has been doing since they left Ford :laugh:

Based on what I have read, Volvo is focused on luxury because of what parent company Geely has planned for the future. My understanding is that Geely plans to introduce the new Lynk & Co car brand to the Chinese, European, and North American markets over the next couple of years. This Chinese-built, Volvo-design-based brand is expected to be positioned between Geely Automobile (economy) and Volvo (luxury) brands, and it will complete with mainstream brands like Ford, Hyundai, VW, etc. Time will tell if Lync & Co is accepted worldwide.
Correct.

The S60 is beautiful, but I do not want a luxury/near-luxury car . . . and if I were, then Audi and Infiniti offer much more bang for the buck to me.
To me, Volvo has ALWAYS been a premium brand.

·
Premium Member
13,510 Posts
I don't think Volvo needs to do the same volume as BMW or Audi to survive. They have far fewer models to contend with, so their strategy seems to be generate more profit per model, rather than selling at high volumes but with lower profit per model.

The XC90 seems to be doing very well here (SoCal), as it should, as it's really a well done vehicle, all around. I think the S90 and V90 are relatively new, and won't be high volume sellers given that they're targeting a small and dying niche to begin with.

As another posted mentioned, the new S60/V60/XC60 will be the volume sellers, and I think those models have been typically very well priced. What's been hurting the S60 I think is that it's overall not as appealing a package as its competition. I think as it adopts the new Volvo design language and drivetrain options, that will change.

The V60 on the other hand is very price competitive against a very limited competition, which is now mainly the 3er wagon and the Allroad. For the price of a loaded 328xi wagon, you van get a Polestar V60. I think once the design catches up with the next generation, we'll see it succeed.

·
Registered
22,407 Posts
NOTE: I am a former 2-Volvo owner who abandoned them a few years after the S40/V50 was discontinued. The S60 is beautiful, but I do not want a luxury/near-luxury car . . . and if I were, then Audi and Infiniti offer much more bang for the buck to me.

Regards,

Qualls
To me this is an odd statement because the S60 is essentially a 7 year old design and it shows. So of course it's not going to feel cutting edge like a brand new A4.

If you mean a small near luxury car like an Audi A3 then we will see an S40/XC40 eventually. I doubt Volvo will return to the mid 2000 era when cars like the S40 and C30 would start in the low $20K range and offer tons of a la carte options.

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,870 Posts
That being said, I recently priced out a fully loaded V90 Cross Country just for the hell of it. This car is probably best comparable to a A6 Allroad which we obviously don't get here, but in any case, with options and features that really aren't out of place on a VW Golf nowadays it came out to a whopping $85,000 CAD. Which is just...:eek::eek: For a Volvo? it will probably be around $50k in 2-3 years, if that.
Keep in mind that Volvo's configurator includes taxes.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes-Benz 300SL
32,168 Posts
Even more than the upcoming 60 series, I'm eagerly anticipating the new 40 series vehicles as well. If Volvo can build a better CLA/GLA (not terribly difficult) and keep the price reasonable, they'll do just fine.
The XC40 might get revealed at Shanghai in April :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.