VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Test drove a 2018 718 Cayman S this weekend, first time behind the wheel of one and was a bit underwhelmed. It's 200 pounds lighter and +75 HP/50 lb-ft compared to a base Evora but was not as thrilling/exciting/visceral, very quick but did not feel like a 12 sec car.

Checked out 2 M4's, one with the ZCP comp package and it was a lot more visceral and no where as laggy as the 718. I'm on the lookout for a local 981 before crossing the P-car off the list

·
Registered
827 Posts
Like the beautiful 356, my 912 certainly is.

When I let close friends drive her, I notice how completely absorbed they are in the driving experience.

When you’re driving the car, you cannot mess around with your phone, the radio, or anything else.

Having no driver assistance aids, no power anything, and no power compared to new cars, you are catapulted back to a time when driving required 100% of your attention.

Everything you touch in this car, gives you direct mechanical feedback. As they say sometimes it is more fun to drive a slow car fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
My F-Type R , I think is visceral. 0-60 in 3.3-3.5 seconds and with MPS4 tires, can do 11.6 in the quarter mile.
It has a lot of power on tap, 550HP and 502/lbs torque. I think the car is just too fast for me to enjoy as a driver. I can't even shift that fast manually. So some of the fun is lost in driver engagement but oh boy, the sheer amount of speed in short burst coupled with the 95db exhaust note is like music. I just feather it at 2500-2800 rpms so I can hear the crack, pops, and gunfire throaty v8 exhaust. That to me, is visceral. I guess this is why so many people love large v8s.

But the most visceral car I dove is probably the Jaguar XF-R prior. It was that car that made me look for another Jag 5.0 supercharged v8.
The XF-R has no traction control and just pure RWD so you can feel the momentum like a freight train pushing you back. Been looking for one on CL/FB but used ones with 60k miles are still up there versus the plain jane XFs.

Not my car in the videos but you get the idea when it smokes many supercars.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have had a few in my life.

Only my 55 chevy would qualify now but it hasn't run in 3 years :rolleyes:

I plan to address this problem soon. :laugh:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Got to meet one of my heroes this weekend and was disappointed. Drove a super clean low mileage stock 2014 GT-R, been lusting over one since it came out 10+ years ago but was not financially able to afford one till now. Crazy acceleration and handles like nothing else but in terms of being visceral, it was a huge letdown. I'm sure it shines on the track but my 20 minute test drive on relatively empty public roads was kinda meh.

Also got to rip around a C7 Z06 for 24 hours, incredibly visceral experience. It's like the love child from a Hellcat and an Evora, loved every minute of it but I don't think I have the self control to own one,. Best case scenario I'll end up with a few speeding tickets in the first 6 months, worst case I'll end up hurting myself or someone else.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Got to meet one of my heroes this weekend and was disappointed. Drove a super clean low mileage stock 2014 GT-R, been lusting over one since it came out 10+ years ago but was not financially able to afford one till now. Crazy acceleration and handles like nothing else but in terms of being visceral, it was a huge letdown. I'm sure it shines on the track but my 20 minute test drive on relatively empty public roads was kinda meh.
So pretty much in line with everything that has been said about GTRs since the R32 then? That's why it's often referred to as the Playstation generation's supercar isn't it?

According to OPs definition of visceral in terms of vehicles that give you the feels for a variety of reasons whether that be huge power and ridiculous speed or the reasons they are difficult to drive: some cars are relatively slow and flawed but driving around those downsides are be rewarding. Getting to know the feel of the car, when it is properly warmed up, the particular smell it might have, whether that is a mix of old leather or vinyl, petrol, a hot gearbox and burnt oil, or the sweet two stroke fumes and ringdingdingding exhaust note of your TZR250 about to get into the powerband.

I've own a few older machines and I definitely prefer older, smaller, slower and lighter cars. Some of the cars that have been most visceral have also been deeply flawed and very far from perfect but the satisfaction came from being able to drive around those flaws and there was something special about nailing a perfect heel-toe:

• Golf mk1 - 300+° cam, Weber 45s, 2.1 8V, Quaife, stripped interior, smelled of petrol fumes, angry and dead below 3500rpm (daily)
  • Datsun 1200 Sunny - SEM FI, 1500 turbo, 4 speed (first vehicle I experienced that I had to be careful not to hit the rev limiter because it spun up so fast)
  • Type 1 - 2.1 WBX engine swap, 'floaty' at 100+ km/h
  • Yamaha TZR250 - powerband goodness

All these silly vehicles were a lot of fun but also very quirky, you had to learn how to drive them and you had to learn to listen to them carefully, a very endearing/frustrating experience to be sure :laugh:

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
After driving my GT350 most of last week, I would say that it qualifies as very visceral. Every time you start it, you get a loud bark from the exhaust, stab the throttle and it reacts instantly like no American V8 should, every input steering and braking wise is rewarded but great bite and great feel. It’s a handful to drive and it feels like way more than the sum of its parts, feels nearly exotic in certain respect, special really.

·
Registered
44,071 Posts
I have had a few in my life.

Only my 55 chevy would qualify now but it hasn't run in 3 years :rolleyes:

I plan to address this problem soon. :laugh:
Please do. Then start a thread about it, and in the words of Debbie Harry, call me. :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It's a formula sae car - honda cbr 600rr motor in that one as I recall. Cbr f3 I think.. it's restricted per the rules but it still makes 60 or 70 hp I think. Plenty :laugh: couple inches of suspension travel, super short gearing, and a rear lsd make for a fun time....
F3s would dyno around 90ish HP at the wheel. what drivetrain setup are they using that sucks out a 40% loss?

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
My 1980 911 SC was, without a question. It hit all of your senses and you felt all of it.

Untitled by sicklyscott, on Flickr

My track prepped SC'd Miata was, too. I could make that car do anything I wanted, it was light on it's feet, had the right amount of power, and you truly felt connected.

Untitled by sicklyscott, on Flickr

I think my next purchase is either going to be some 80's front engined Porsche or an Evora 400. I miss that feeling, the Tesla just doesn't cut it.

·
Premium Member
18,227 Posts
Yamaha TZR250 - powerband goodness
Any 250 is visceral. I pine for my old CBR250R. Good God, was that amazing to ride. 85mph was a stretch, but getting there was all of the goodness two wheels has to offer. :heart:

·
Registered
17,794 Posts
Any 250 is visceral. I pine for my old CBR250R. Good God, was that amazing to ride. 85mph was a stretch, but getting there was all of the goodness two wheels has to offer. :heart:
wringing the little ninjas to 14k was always fun too. there is much to be said for a very slow, very high revving motorcycle.

·
35,022 Posts
Yes. Mostly because it feels like it's barely holding itself together.

Terror is a factor.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I always thought it meant raw and edgy feeling.
Based on the true definition, I don't think there are very many cars today that are visceral. Cars are almost all appliances. They get good gas mileage, they are quiet, comfortable and reliable.
I think to get a visceral feel from a car, you would have to look at kit cars(like the 7, and Cobra kits mentioned earlier).

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
wringing the little ninjas to 14k was always fun too. there is much to be said for a very slow, very high revving motorcycle.
It's the pucker factor: is this going to explode between my legs?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I don't own anything visceral now. The Alfa is fun and pretty sharp but way polished and insulated.

The BRZ was close but it was never on the adrenaline side of thrilling. Lots of smiling, not a lot of heart pounding.

My AW11 with the 20V was pretty darn visceral. I am pretty sure some of my hearing loss is from that car. No power steering, 2400lbs, 8500rpm, 91" wheelbase. I'd also put my SA RX7 and 8v 900 turbo up there. Neither of them were all that fast but they way they delivered was thrilling. Especially that Saab. There wasn't a lot of traction and boost came on so suddenly and not always at the same time.

·
Registered
17,794 Posts
there are very few thrilling and visceral cars on the market today, particularly for reasonable money. everything post 2010, for under 30-40k has become a lot less scary too. the jump from the EVO IX to X was probably the most dramatic hop in my mind.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
i would say i have a few "visceral" cars.

R8 - the V10 is super mechanical and raw sounding and you can feel and hear the mechanical engagement in the gated shifter. overall a pretty analog feeling car.
s30 - no a/c, heat, power steering or insulation so all you can hear is the exhaust, fuel pump and the transmission whine. The LS1 swap doesnt allow you to day dream, the rear end is pretty snappy and will spin the tires all the way to 60

·
Registered
26,131 Posts
2006 "NC" miata
light, short wheelbase, rwd, manual, soft top, lowered, wide sticky tires, ecu tuned, modded exhaust etc.

More visceral than many cars on the road, but not obscene.
When the top is up the interior stays dry. Still has navigation, remote entry, power windows, power locks, ac, airbags, etc.

·
Premium Member
18,227 Posts
I don't own anything visceral now. The Alfa is fun and pretty sharp but way polished and insulated.

The BRZ was close but it was never on the adrenaline side of thrilling. Lots of smiling, not a lot of heart pounding.

My AW11 with the 20V was pretty darn visceral. I am pretty sure some of my hearing loss is from that car. No power steering, 2400lbs, 8500rpm, 91" wheelbase. I'd also put my SA RX7 and 8v 900 turbo up there. Neither of them were all that fast but they way they delivered was thrilling. Especially that Saab. There wasn't a lot of traction and boost came on so suddenly and not always at the same time.
The AW11 is the only car I‘ve driven that was actively trying to kill me. A turbo 930 wasn‘t that crazy. The short wheelbase is a lesson in throttle modulation.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts