VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first time posting.
Ive got a 95 jetta vr6, with an automatic transmission.
Motor is fairly stock. Only mod Ive got is a cold air intake, with a 3 inch cone on the end of it.
Recently, Ive run into a few problems with the car. Symptoms are: Lack of power, irratic idle, not to mention stalling when it comes to a stop.
The funny thing is, the irratic idle and the stalling seem to happen irregularly.
example, I started it up today to take it over to the mechanic, and the idle right off the hop was about 200 rpm higher then usual. After about a minute or so, and the idle still not dropping, I put the car into drive, and went on my way. About 3 lights into the trip, I was bringing the car to a stop, and the rpms just kept dropping... right near 100rpm or so, (which is much lower then usual), the battery light came on, the engine died, and the check light came on.
after much puzzling and well...
Ive come up with a few things I think may be issues. Fuel delivery, ignition, and mass airflow senser being the big three. My mechanic mentioned to me that the M.A.S. is a well known issue with most vws..(in fact, he had a diesel in the shop for the very same senser).
If anyone out there has had similar problems, or has any other suggestions, I would be most grateful! drop me a line at [email protected] or reply to me here.
Aside from the troubles, the car is great! I picked it up used in january 04, with 159k on it. Its fast, got tons of power, great 15"bbs alloys on it, full heated leather interior, the whole works! I'll post pictures as soon as I get em taken. Originally I picked up the car to be my daily driver while my summer car was in storage, rain, etc, but I enjoyed the jetta so much, Ive decided to sell my summer car! (1987 toyota mr2).
Well, getting a little long here, so I'll wrap it up. thanks again, and any suggestions/ideas on the issue with the vw would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Re: issues with my vr6 (vr6jetta95-011)

Welcome aboard....
You can check my link to my homepage I have a pic with a list of some things that've been replaced...
Also Technical /12v forums <-lots of good info...
Check for hissing (vacume leaks) also spray (mist) water on your wires, plugs coil pack ...checkfor arcing (free light show)
The maf is expensive...
g/l

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: issues with my vr6 (Illuminated)

yah, did the h20 on the wires gig, but... nothing... kinda threw me off the whole idea of ignition... if it wasnt for that dumb battery light, I would rule out ignition all together.
Btw, nice ride. Do you find any problems with wheel rub with the lowering? We have a pothole problem here.
thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vr6jetta95-011 »

Btw, nice ride. Do you find any problems with wheel rub with the lowering? We have a pothole problem here.
thanks for the advice.

Around here that isn't considered lowering at all
B.stein sport shocks N.speed sport springs 1.5" front drop, less in back.
No rubbing at all! Exhuast to axle beam clunk with 3peoples in the rear over big bumps ~yes..
Little jarring till its over 3/4 a tank of gas
(more weight)
But the faster you go the smoother the B.stins get http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
It's actual great for bad roads (have lots) this is why I got it!
But there are milder closer to stock kits out there...
H&R OE sports 1" front ... Shine kits.. n.speed sofsport....etc..
Or theres "slammed" 2"+ cup kits...coil overs..
*Also for Idle Isv...Idle stabilization valve..thing'ama'boby..
12v tech forum...go there ...search "isv"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: issues with my vr6 (Illuminated)

hey, thanks for the tip on the isv. did the search you suggested, and found a guy with , as near as I can tell, the same symptoms I have!
gonna suggest it to the mechanic when it goes in next week.
ha! this is the first moment of mental peace Ive had in a week.
you are a lifesaver!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (V a V jetta W 3 6)

thanks for the offer dude, but the car is gonna go in on wednesday. Kinda need it for to and fro back to work daily, and Im sorta stuck driving either my moms 2004 carolla with (sigh) hubcaps and a swollen rear end... as attractive as that may be in girls, its just a bad scene in cars. Or, Ive gotta drive dads 99 s-10, and I _HATE_ trucks.
Id drive the mr2, but Ive got a nice seized front caliper right now, and Ive decided to sell the car anyway, so... not fixin.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

Automatics on VW run into problems in general, at least thats what ive heard from numerous people. Correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Re: (Illuminated)

Quote, originally posted by Illuminated »
V a V jetta W 3 6, have you been running that used MAF in your car?
To test it's condition...?

No i have not, infact now that i think about it, im not even sure if it is ODB I or II... I could try to run it if you would like, it has never been plugged up in my possesion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts