VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
401 - 420 of 444 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
Excited to see where this goes, and am pretty impressed that you'll be tuning your own ECU. Does the EMU Black have any built in safety features to avoid you accidentally doing something harmful to your engine during the tuning and testing process? Not that I predict you doing that - more so just for my own curiosity.
The Black is surprisingly feature packed for the price. Every data stream that should, has safe guards. For example, if fuel pressure drops below a specified safe point, I have a number of strategies. From pulling boost, to limiting RPM, and even a complete shut down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
Quick update.

EMU black plugged in, base map loaded, DSG setting entered. It runs and shifts, complete plug and play!

When I get everything permanently mounted, I’ll get some pics and better info.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #406 ·
I need to retract part of my previous statement, it is not plug and play. It’s close, but I don’t want people reading this in the future and thinking it’s easy.

The MK4 R32 uses Bosch 4.2 wideband, the MK5 R32 based 8P uses the newer 4.9. The PNP kit EMU offers is for the MK4. Both sensors have 6 pins, but are wired differently. All that’s needed is moving some pins around.

Also, the MK4 uses a fan control module. The MK5 does not, it is ECU controlled. Very easily wired and controlled by the Black, but not PNP.

So please don’t think this is a plug and go type deal.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 ·
Awesome. Car sounds great in the clip as well. The ECU was primarily to make the turbo upgrade work, right?
Both 034 and UM have great files for my car. So I could have used the of the shelf stuff. This was more for the future, my car will constantly change, now I’m not bound by the tuning. Also Ive wanted to get into tuning, this is my way of learning.

I think there are few noises better than a turbo VR6. :cool:
I must agree, it’s intoxicating!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Both 034 and UM have great files for my car. So I could have used the of the shelf stuff. This was more for the future, my car will constantly change, now I’m not bound by the tuning. Also Ive wanted to get into tuning, this is my way of learning.

Nice. I plan to do another tune myself; I've thought about going with eurodyne for the same reason, but I'm also scared I'll mess something up.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
It’s a 3in CTS down pipe, mid pipe, with a local exhaust shop 3in cat back with a Magnaflow.

Sounds good.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Looks good. I think I remember you saying you're in SD, right? That apartment complex looks like one I used to live in a long time ago in San Marcos. If it is, small world.

Anyway, car is legit, how do you like the power?

401 - 420 of 444 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.