VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2023 Sprinter came in! I ordered this in June. It's at MB of Chicago right now, just gotta go get it.

In building this van I had three priorities:

1) Make it as easy as possible to load cargo. For this I selected the floor and beltline tiedowns, the boxed wheel well arches, and doors that fold to the wall.

2) Get the engine with the best performance. I waited to order until the new high output diesel engine for the 2023 Sprinters was available to build. This gives me 208 hp and 332 lbs/ft, up from the now discontinued V6 diesel in the 2022s which offered 188/325. I also gained the new 9 speed auto, up from the now discontinued 7 speed.

3) Make the van as quiet as possible. High roof vans can be real noisy on the highway so anything helps. I picked the acoustic package with gives me additional door seals and foam filled pillars, and the heat insulation front pack which pads the doors/wheel wells/partition wall with blanket.

The only thing not listed on the build sheet is the tow hitch, which is being installed by the dealer.

I flirted with the idea of 4WD, but that had two big downsides - increases the ride height which makes loading cargo a lot more difficult, and costs a fortune.

Font Material property Screenshot Number Document

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive design

Sky Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

Car Window Vehicle Automotive tire Steering part

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Sky Car Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive parking light

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
25,152 Posts
Yikes, $2300 for destination. Congrats. Is this the I-4 turbo?
Looked up Ford Transit window sticker for comparison and destination was $1,495 so yeah this is excessive especially since it's built in South Carolina not in Germany.

Actually that brings up a question, why do Sprinter VINs start with a W (Germany) when they're made in South Carolina?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Geez, those aren't cheap.
Yes. Shockingly expensive.

In 2012 my fully loaded Ford E-350 Super Duty van with alloy wheels, power captains chairs, limited slip diff, running boards, chrome pack, tow package, and Triton 6.8 V10..... MSRP'd for $36,000.

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Sky Wheel

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually that brings up a question, why do Sprinter VINs start with a W (Germany) when they're made in South Carolina?
Because the first letter is the origin of the manufacturer, in this case Mercedes Benz of Germany. Position 11 in the VIN designates the production plant.

·
Registered
27,795 Posts
Cool, is it only for business or will you be camping and stuff in it, too?

I curious about the MPG it will get on the highway - mid 20s?

Since you added the mirror, are you adding windows in the back doors?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool, is it only for business or will you be camping and stuff in it, too?

I curious about the MPG it will get on the highway - mid 20s?

Since you added the mirror, are you adding windows in the back doors?
Just for business.
MPG should be around 20 highway.
No windows, so the kids can't get ou...I mean so nobody can steal my tools.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Even with higher diesel prices, that should save a couple grand a year on fuel.
100%. Comparing back to back with the Econoline, which averages about 12mpg, I'm going to be saving a lot on fuel. And diesel won't be $6/gal forever so there are additional savings down the road too.

Reactions: adrew
1 - 20 of 142 Posts