VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update, check this post for an update / resolution to the issue with a follow up video. Thanks everyone for your help.

Before I moved north, I didn't know what Frost Heaves were. On my 6th year here, I do know what they are and I'm afraid of them. They've done terrible things to my cars. Don't know what these are? here's the definition:

Frost heaving (or a frost heave) is an upwards swelling of soil during freezing conditions caused by an increasing presence of ice as it grows towards the surface, upwards from the depth in the soil where freezing temperatures have penetrated into the soil (the freezing front or freezing boundary)
Urban dictionary defines it a bit differently.

Anyway, on my back-road frost heaves can be up to a foot in height or depth, come unexpectedly and are sometimes impossible to avoid since avoiding one means entering the opposite flow of traffic.

I hit one today that was massive. I was going 55 (the speed limit) and slammed on the brakes when I was about 6 feet from it and I hit it going 38. The front of my car dove down but like most days when driving in the winter, my VWR springs did not bottom out (seriously this happens roughly every 5 miles even at cautious low speeds) and my fender didn't suffer any damage. but unfortunately, Volkswagen's beautifully designed plastic oil pan was shot.

I didn't realize this for about 6 miles when suddenly...

-Throttle flickering and P2279 Fault code appearing because I assume the engine was pulling in air from the crack in the oil pan.
-A yellow error in my center display showing a moving RPM starting at 6200 RPM and going down steadily as the "safe redline" warning me not to exceed xxx RPM or overheating risk would occur.
-A small clicking sound from in the engine. i never pinpointed the exact spot

I pull off, turn the car off..wait.

Call roadside assistance, they were an hour away so I go 10 yards to pull into a gas station

-Red error, oil icon appears, computer now displays "Oil Pressure, warning, stop immediately" so I did

When the trunk came, we finally saw the huge puddle of oil under my car where it was sitting and leaking oil from under my car

The shop that has my car is 40 minutes from home so I had a friend come and get me and now I wait. At the cheapest, it's a $200 part, at the priciest, it'll be a $750. I'd rather just buy the aftermarket aluminum oil pan for $540 or at the least buy the ECS Skid-Plate.

I'm one of the people on this forum who said VW wouldn't have gone plastic if they hadn't proven it would be perfect and withstand a beating.

I was wrong.

I'll wait for the shop to give me a quote, I'll ask them to tell me part numbers and I'll decide if I go the OEM route again or buy aftermarket.

I have dash cam footage of avoiding the frost heave that I'll post once I have the car back. Could be a week, could be 2. I really don't know.

:banghead:

Here's the engine RPM at IDLE fully stopped as it fluttered 900 to 1200 RPM

Here's a small video I made:

will update this post as I have more info---

·
Registered
28 Posts

Before I moved north, I didn't know what Frost Heaves were. On my 6th year here, I do know what they are and I'm afraid of them. They've done terrible things to my cars. Don't know what these are? here's the definition:

Urban dictionary defines it a bit differently.

Anyway, on my back-road frost heaves can be up to a foot in height or depth, come unexpectedly and are sometimes impossible to avoid since avoiding one means entering the opposite flow of traffic.

I hit one today that was massive. I was going 55 (the speed limit) and slammed on the brakes when I was about 6 feet from it and I hit it going 38. The front of my car dove down but like most days when driving in the winter, my VWR springs did not bottom out (seriously this happens roughly every 5 miles even at cautious low speeds) and my fender didn't suffer any damage. but unfortunately, Volkswagen's beautifully designed plastic oil pan was shot.

I didn't realize this for about 6 miles when suddenly...

-Throttle flickering and P2279 Fault code appearing because I assume the engine was pulling in air from the crack in the oil pan.
-A yellow error in my center display showing a moving RPM starting at 6200 RPM and going down steadily as the "safe redline" warning me not to exceed xxx RPM or overheating risk would occur.
-A small clicking sound from in the engine. i never pinpointed the exact spot

I pull off, turn the car off..wait.

Call roadside assistance, they were an hour away so I go 10 yards to pull into a gas station

-Red error, oil icon appears, computer now displays "Oil Pressure, warning, stop immediately" so I did

When the trunk came, we finally saw the huge puddle of oil under my car where it was sitting and leaking oil from under my car

The shop that has my car is 40 minutes from home so I had a friend come and get me and now I wait. At the cheapest, it's a $200 part, at the priciest, it'll be a $750. I'd rather just buy the aftermarket aluminum oil pan for $540 or at the least buy the ECS Skid-Plate.

I'm one of the people on this forum who said VW wouldn't have gone plastic if they hadn't proven it would be perfect and withstand a beating.

I was wrong.

I'll wait for the shop to give me a quote, I'll ask them to tell me part numbers and I'll decide if I go the OEM route again or buy aftermarket.

I have dash cam footage of avoiding the frost heave that I'll post once I have the car back. Could be a week, could be 2. I really don't know.

:banghead:

Here's the engine RPM at IDLE fully stopped as it fluttered 900 to 1200 RPM

Here's a small video I made:

will update this post as I have more info---
Sucks, for sure I would add the protection plate, especially with a lowered car. Not sure the aftermarket pan would have saved you. I've seen metal ones break hitting debris

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Sucks sir.

Hopefully nothing bad happened engine wise while it was running.

My old mkiv tdi used to have one of the big steel tank grade skid plates.

On the upside it was awesome because you could smash anything with it at will and the car would bounce off. Was pretty fun and awesome in frost heave country.

On the downside old sagging springs+ heavy tdi+ heavy skid plate = hitting just about everything under compression.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
:( man I was sure you had bought the skid plate... but I must have lost track.

A good frost heave will break anything that sits below the subframe. Personally, if I lived in NH and were in your situation I would return to OEM suspension height, use OEM oil pan, and get the skid plate.

Agree with the poster above who said the wortec would have broken too, it would have even been worse because the impact would have been transferred into the engine and could have broken something else.

·
Registered
666 Posts
So sorry to hear about your oil pan :(

I ordered the ECS skid plate last thursday afternoon with it being $50 off and I received it saturday. Fast shipping! Now I just need to get around to installing it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Frost Heaves... never heard of that. Never seen one. We live close by. Located in Montreal.
We do have pot holes the size of F-150.

Cracked one oil pan like you did once, on a big chunk of ice on my old MK4. Never got a code.
Hair line crack. Barely leaking. Noticed when I parked my car that tiny oil line following my car.
I was 4 blocks max from a VW dealer... 350$ later, brand new pan.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
:( man I was sure you had bought the skid plate... but I must have lost track.

A good frost heave will break anything that sits below the subframe. Personally, if I lived in NH and were in your situation I would return to OEM suspension height, use OEM oil pan, and get the skid plate.

Agree with the poster above who said the wortec would have broken too, it would have even been worse because the impact would have been transferred into the engine and could have broken something else.
I'd be willing to bet thats VW's line of thought. Better for the pan to absorb the hit and crack then have it shear off and damage other stuff up the food chain.

Skidplate FTW

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did you get pictures of under the car? Or the oil pan?

I don't understand why VW would go with a plastic oil pan in the first place. I was installing my JB1 with my friend and when we first saw it we both were like "Wtf?"

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have not seen the plastic oil pan but modern plastics can be tuff. If you hit an aluminum pan that hard, it probably would have at least dented and maybe broke the seal at the gasket. Agree with other comments, probably a catastrophic impact regardless.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Sorry to see that happen to you Adam. Like Ian mentioned I could've sworn I saw you mention somewhere you had a skid plate put on. Hope it works out for you, and looking forward to see what you make of it. Have one on me :beer:.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts