VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading another forum about a recently published 0-100-0 test, and of course the legendary 0-100-0 to end all 0-100-0 cars, the Shelby Cobra was mentioned. I've always loved the comedy sketch Cosby did about the car that Shelby had personally built for him. "Its got dual EVERYTHING". I never realized dual everything meant dual Holleys and dual Paxton superchargers on a 427, making somewhere north of 800hp

so anyone got any more details on the car?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Re: It'll do OVER 200mph... (3liter914-6)

One day in the 60ies a man was driving his Shelby Cobra ±200mph in the UK, and it alarmed the government so much they installed the speed limit on public roads.

·
Registered
90 Corrado, 97 B4 TDI, '10 CC 4 MO
4,370 Posts
Re: It'll do OVER 200mph... (peppie cola)

From memory:
I heard that Cosby sold the car (too scary or something like that)
I thought that the car was wrecked though. Something about going off a cliff....
Like I said, this is what I recall, don't know if it is accurate.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts

Quote, originally posted by peppie cola »
One day in the 60ies a man was driving his Shelby Cobra ±200mph in the UK, and it alarmed the government so much they installed the speed limit on public roads.

AFAIK, it was AC test-driving up and down the A1 at very high speeds that forced the government of the day to bring in a 'temporary' 70mph speed limit - didn't take long for the limit to become permanent.

·
Banned
13,344 Posts

Shelby built two of those cars, one for himself and another for Cosby. Cosby took it down the street once and it scared him so much that he sold it.
I've spent some time messing around with an original 427 side-oiler cobra. It has enough power to scare me at any speed (i.e. nail it and the rear end comes loose, even with 295 rear tires), so I can only imagine what a handfull a forced induction cob would be.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Re: It'll do OVER 200mph... (3liter914-6)

Quote »
Was reading another forum about a recently published 0-100-0 test, and of course the legendary 0-100-0 to end all 0-100-0 cars, the Shelby Cobra was mentioned.

my old boss is really into old cobras...he's got a replica that's 425hp at the flywheel...sick, sick car...he gave me a book to read about the history of the car a few years ago and they mention the 0-100-0 test. at the time, the Cobra had one fo the best runs ever in this test, however, what many people don't know is that on the 100-0 portion, the car did a 180 under braking on the run that recorded the best time.

there was also a page or so describing the bets the factory builders used to make on the fate of the cars they each built..kinda like a death pool based on the serial number on the car...really interesting stuff...too bad i can't remember the name of the book to pass on...

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Re: It'll do OVER 200mph... (Jeff43)

Does he still have that Cobra replica or did he sell it to pay for his absurd Mustang habit?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts