VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although not completely 100% correct yet, I did finally figure enough of the problems out to get it started & running on it's own power today! I had to Jerry-rig a couple electrical things, ran the injectors at WOT in a catch pan to clear them out, and then I figured out it had a distributor cap from a 2 valve, which meant all the wires were on wrong, then the rotor was 180 degrees out. After all that, she literally fired right up! There were a few times I tried to fire it, and the wires weren't hooked up right, she backfired quite insanely - sounded like a gun in the shop(I still haven't put the exhaust on
)
So once I got it running, revved it up some, and ..... of course found another problem: passenger side radiator leak. Luckily, it's right on the engine side, easily accessible, and will be braised tomorrow. So that, and un-jerry-rigging the electrical, and it'll be ready for some test driving.

I promise I'll take pictures before it leaves http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif but for now, the actual running of the engine is worthy of a few

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
for you...
is it your car?

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (The_Hamster)

That exhaust note was SICK without the mufflers, it sounded like the race shop on the other side of the wall! As of now, I'm waiting on the radiator core from a rebuild. It was supposed to be in today, but I'm guessing tomorrow.
Once that's all done, I'm gonna try to drive it, but there's still quite a nasty electrical gremlin in the engine bay. It's got relays going nuts in the left rear corner. A lot of the wiring in there looks like it came out of a '56 chevy original. Y'know, like the insulation is so dry rotted, it's almost see through, cracked in a lot of places, and has less resistance than the actual wire? Yea, pretty sad in a lot of spots. We're probably gonna end up giving the car back to the customer like this too, as it'd be another scary $$$$$ estimate to fix it.
......(wiring harness for '86 countach: most likely not available)

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (The_Hamster)

What a SICK ride! That exhaust note is amazing!!! I got to drive it around today for awhile, there were so many people driving behind me with thier celphone cameras out, and a car full of girls came up beside me with thier faces against the glass(I was hoping for something else
). I got to take it around & show some friends that are local, and we all agree, compared to newer cars, this is a piece, but it's still fun.
I'll have pics up sometime, but the car is fully assembled and drives normal now. There's one thing I'm not 100% happy about, an electrical jerry rig I've got in place, but the customer's hellbent on not paying any more(current bill = $21k), so I'm not fixing any more.

For a 20 year old car, made by a tractor company, it's pretty sweet!

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: (ollieboy)

I've got a pretty nice Diablo I'm working on now, nothing major though, really. We also just got in a pretty new murcielago that has a broken camshaft(we suspect). New engine is ordered to replace it, VERY EXPENSIVE warranty repair!

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Re: (ollieboy)

Quote, originally posted by ollieboy »
like any Lambo repair wouldn't be
. But what's a crate motor worth, like 10k?

Um...a crate motor 24 valve VR6 is like 10 grand. I think a crate Lambo motor woulg go for a wee bit more...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Re: (davidpg)

Yeah, we have some $15K+ engines over at Audi. I think the Lambo engines are at least twice that much. Hell, I have heard what their clutches cost and that will make you puke on your shoes.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Re: (Audiquattroluv2)

Anyway, I would like to see more Countach's restored. Even though their fit and finish leaves something to be desired, it will always be the world's most shocking supercar design. The definition of exotic.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: (davidpg)

Uh, Murcielago crate engine. Should I make y'all guess some more?
Nobody's come close, that's for sure. IIRC, a new V8 S4 is about the same price, around $54k? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Oh, and that's strictly a long block. All accessories, manifolds, wiring, sensors, etc., have to be transferred over. I remember a V8 swap in a B6 S4 once, the crate engine came with absolutely everything(the way they all should, IMO, since you sometimes don't know what caused it to blow).
That murci engine is ready to be pulled, probably tomorrow. I should start a new thread for it in the murci forum....and I have my camera in the car for a good photo shoot as soon as they polish up this countach. I've been pimpin' it around locally, putting some miles on it to make sure everything's good.

Anyone heard of a Lamborghini Espada? Got one in on Friday to work on for a clutch issue. It's the only 4 seater lambo car I've ever seen aside from the SUV, but I haven't actually seen one of those up close, so I don't even know for sure....

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
Yes I've heard of and seen the Espada.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Re: (sjberg40)

Pics! If you got 'em please post them!
Also, everyone's seen pics of Lambos.... if you have pics of them being worked on (engine openned up, underneith, etc.) that would be cool and the gang.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Re: (JimmyD)

Espadas are neat we did a head rebuild on one awhile back. There were a few four seater Lamborgini made in there early years

1 - 16 of 16 Posts