• Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

741 - 760 of 944 Posts

·
How do I resize a picture?
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #743
I win the idiot internet award.

:laugh: :laugh:

The noise was the safety clips on the rear calipers. They weren’t installed right so they were rattling around going over bumps.

These things:

On my way home this evening I stopped by my buddy’s shop. We rode around the shop with windows down to listen. Got out, he went to the back wheel, wiggled one, and then pulled it out. “Here’s your problem” We both laughed, and then put them on the right way. Problem solved.

Glad I stopped by, that was driving me nuts.

:beer: :beer:

·
Premium Member
5,766 Posts
Time to trade it in.
I win the idiot internet award.

The noise was the safety clips on the rear calipers. They weren’t installed right so they were rattling around going over bumps.

On my way home this evening I stopped by my buddy’s shop. We rode around the shop with windows down to listen. Got out, he went to the back wheel, wiggled one, and then pulled it out. “Here’s your problem” We both laughed, and then put them on the right way. Problem solved.

Glad I stopped by, that was driving me nuts.

:beer: :beer:
Damn it. I was looking forward to another Chicago journey thread.

All kidding aside, glad it was something simple. I know your thrilled with that car.

·
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #746 (Edited)
are the non-M E46's prone to rear subframe cracks too? is that a possibility?
To answer this, yes it’s possible. Though not quite as common on the later model cars (mine is 2004). It’s also not as common on single owner cars who were driven by an elderly woman for 87k over the course of 14 years. :laugh:

Biggest thing though, if it were subframe crack noise, I’d hear it *very well* inside the cabin with windows up.

·
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #747
Drove car down to the lake today with windows down and sunroof open. It was 90* and sunny, and it was the highlight of my day.

That's all.

·
Registered
25,365 Posts
Thank you, how is the cat?

I rolled windows down today, too.

·
Registered
25,365 Posts
Also, do your rear windows go all the way down?

Mine do on the 2017, but the alltrack only went partially down. Design flaw or is there glass needed there for some reason?

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
4,728 Posts
Also, do your rear windows go all the way down?

Mine do on the 2017, but the alltrack only went partially down. Design flaw or is there glass needed there for some reason?
Not sure if I'm missing an inside joke, but many rear windows don't go all the way down because the body of the door narrows for rear wheel clearance. Just isn't enough space to put it.

·
Registered
25,365 Posts
Not sure if I'm missing an inside joke, but many rear windows don't go all the way down because the body of the door narrows for rear wheel clearance. Just isn't enough space to put it.
I'm not sure what the joke is.

F31 here, all the way down.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
4,728 Posts
I'm not sure what the joke is.

F31 here, all the way down.
Oh, I just wasn't sure if it was a rhetorical question that's all. Anyway, I don't believe the glass is left up on purpose, just a matter of finding room above the wheel well since rear doors narrow as they go down. As cars get bigger it's getting more and more common for them to find room, and I think it's a bigger priority on luxury cars as well. Actually I can't remember driving any BMW with rear windows that didn't go all the way down, so I believe Cabin's windows likely do. Conversely the only VWs I've seen with rear windows that go all the way down have been cabriolets. Even in my Cayenne they don't go all the way down.

·
Registered
25,365 Posts
Oh, I just wasn't sure if it was a rhetorical question that's all. Anyway, I don't believe the glass is left up on purpose, just a matter of finding room above the wheel well since rear doors narrow as they go down. As cars get bigger it's getting more and more common for them to find room, and I think it's a bigger priority on luxury cars as well. Actually I can't remember driving any BMW with rear windows that didn't go all the way down, so I believe Cabin's windows likely do. Conversely the only VWs I've seen with rear windows that go all the way down have been cabriolets. Even in my Cayenne they don't go all the way down.

Can you rephrase this to maybe 4 words?

·
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #759
Long time no post.

Now that I own the BMW, the Audi A6, Q7, and quarter million mile CR-V I should have plenty of threads to update on a regular basis. :laugh: :laugh:

The BMW is doing the rough start when cold.

When the motor is cool, regardless of ambient air temp, it coughs and sputters on startup. Turn key, car starts, RPM's immediately drop, car spits and sputters for one, maybe two seconds, and then revs go back to 1,000 or so like normal for 10-15 seconds and settle around 600-700. From that point on the car idles perfect and drives totally fine. This started last year and I replaced the plugs and cleaned ICV, it did little to nothing for it. Then a month later I replaced the VANOS and it seemingly went away. I have a hard time believing the VANOS is acting up again.

There are no codes of any kind, on my regular ODB-II scanner or the fancy Snap-On scanner with all the Euro add-ons my buddy has.

I'm leaning towards DISA, is that a waste of time? I checked for vacuum leaks around the motor and came up with nothing. Which makes sense, if it was a vacuum leak it would likely idle poorly all the time.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
4,728 Posts
Long time no post.

Now that I own the BMW, the Audi A6, Q7, and quarter million mile CR-V I should have plenty of threads to update on a regular basis. :laugh: :laugh:

The BMW is doing the rough start when cold.

When the motor is cool, regardless of ambient air temp, it coughs and sputters on startup. Turn key, car starts, RPM's immediately drop, car spits and sputters for one, maybe two seconds, and then revs go back to 1,000 or so like normal for 10-15 seconds and settle around 600-700. From that point on the car idles perfect and drives totally fine. This started last year and I replaced the plugs and cleaned ICV, it did little to nothing for it. Then a month later I replaced the VANOS and it seemingly went away. I have a hard time believing the VANOS is acting up again.

There are no codes of any kind, on my regular ODB-II scanner or the fancy Snap-On scanner with all the Euro add-ons my buddy has.

I'm leaning towards DISA, is that a waste of time? I checked for vacuum leaks around the motor and came up with nothing. Which makes sense, if it was a vacuum leak it would likely idle poorly all the time.
You ever dump a can of Seafoam or Injector cleaner or anything in the tank? Old injectors and whatnot.

But no, DISA is not a waste a time. Plastic electromechanical stuff with years+miles is an easy target on cars like this. I would just try simpler stuff first if you can.

741 - 760 of 944 Posts