VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

61 - 80 of 945 Posts

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
9,774 Posts

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
I haven't ordered it yet, but I've got a cart together on Amazon for radiator, expansion tank, new caps, new upper and lower hoses, water pump, and thermostat.

$258 after shipping and tax.

Not bad.
Just replaced my leaking radiator along with tank/hoses on my 323 couple of weeks back for the first time. Easy job. Check your pulleys and belts as well.

·
How do I resize a picture?
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Check out rear bushings and inspect rear subframe
Can you be more specific. Been a while since I’ve owned a car.

Subframe bushings? Control arm bushings? Sway bar bushings? End link bushings? Shock mount bushings?

Lolololbushings?

·
Registered
978 Posts
This is a great pick up and you can have a lot of fun with this car. Here is mine, been in the family since new. Now it has 175K miles on it.

2003 by BGTI

3001 by BGTI

Mine is also a 325I although my bro bought it with the Sports package as the only option.
Here is what you need to do if you are willing to spend some $$:
1) Replace front control arms. Look into the ZHP ones. Get the FCAB from the ZHP as well
2) Replace the RTAB with M3 bushings and add the bushing limiters (made from Delrin) or similar.
3) Replace the shocks and springs. I went with street H&R cup kit. If you want to spend some $$ go for coilovers.
4) Replace the motor mounts and transmission mounts. Go for the solid rubber ones (not fluid filled). They are great and inexpensive. They will do wonders with regards to shudder in first gear.
5) Replace your shifter bushings. A kit is about $80. I just did mine over the weekend and it is quite involving. You need to remove the exhaust, heat shield and driveshaft. Replace the guibo while you are at it.
6) Replace the differential bushing at the rear. The front ones do not really go bad. The part is only about $40 but you need a tool to remove and install it. Its about $90 for the tool I think.
7) Remove the CDV (clutch delete valve). It sucks.
8) Install a ZHP muffler or spend some $ on a custom or Borla. This is up to you.
9) Install an automatic differential. It's 3.46 vs 3.15 for the stick. The increased acceleration is noticeable especially in 2nd gear. First drive the car the way it is and see how you feel. I installed one in mine and I love it. But I also autox my car and I am looking for all the torque I can get in 2nd gear.
10) Check if there is a recall on the airbags. Mine have both been replaced last year.
11) If you have massive oil leaks you need to check the following: valve cover gasket, oil filter housing and oil pan.
12) Low voltage on the battery can create some weird electrical crap with the instruments. So if you have weird light or warnings check the battery first.
13) Get a smoke machine and check all your rubber hoses and vacuums in the intake. They are notorious for leaking air and tripping the check engine light.
14) Check if the car is SULEV. If it is, be aware that the fuel pump is integral to the tank. It must be replaced as one.
15) A hesitation when accelerating can be cause by a bad plug or coil or a failing fuel pump. All are easy to replace.
16) If you have a weird cricket sound in the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel or a whistling sound then you need to replace a small fan that is cooling an electronic computer. Its almost like a laptop fan. Google it up. I gave up and changed mine after listening to the damm thing for years.
17) Window regulators suck although mine are still original. If they make noise, open the window and try to fix them. You may be able to save them.
18) The cloth on the pillar covers on the interior fails after while. I tried to fix mine but they did not look good. So I bought a set from ECS. They look sharp now.
19) Just because you have the phone button on the steering it does not mean you have the BT module. Google it up. There is tons of info.
20) Look into swapping sport seats. The regular seats suck. Its like you seat on a wooden bench.

Everything I mentioned above should come after fixing all the maintenance related items of course. If you have any questions just ask. I am pretty familiar with these cars.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
9,774 Posts
This is a great pick up and you can have a lot of fun with this car. Here is mine, been in the family since new. Now it has 175K miles on it.

Now that is a great post :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
23,843 Posts
Great purchase. I was seriously considering picking up my sisters BMW wagon of this vintage, but no manuel so I didn't.

In for more updates and road trip pictures. :popcorn:

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
18,786 Posts
Can you be more specific. Been a while since I’ve owned a car.
He probably also means check the subframe mounts for cracks in the chassis. Pretty much everything important has been mentioned so far. Welcome to the E46 club!

·
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #73

2003 by BGTI

3001 by BGTI

Mine is also a 325I although my bro bought it with the Sports package as the only option.
Here is what you need to do if you are willing to spend some $$:
1) Replace front control arms. Look into the ZHP ones. Get the FCAB from the ZHP as well
2) Replace the RTAB with M3 bushings and add the bushing limiters (made from Delrin) or similar.
3) Replace the shocks and springs. I went with street H&R cup kit. If you want to spend some $$ go for coilovers.
4) Replace the motor mounts and transmission mounts. Go for the solid rubber ones (not fluid filled). They are great and inexpensive. They will do wonders with regards to shudder in first gear.
5) Replace your shifter bushings. A kit is about $80. I just did mine over the weekend and it is quite involving. You need to remove the exhaust, heat shield and driveshaft. Replace the guibo while you are at it.
6) Replace the differential bushing at the rear. The front ones do not really go bad. The part is only about $40 but you need a tool to remove and install it. Its about $90 for the tool I think.
7) Remove the CDV (clutch delete valve). It sucks.
8) Install a ZHP muffler or spend some $ on a custom or Borla. This is up to you.
9) Install an automatic differential. It's 3.46 vs 3.15 for the stick. The increased acceleration is noticeable especially in 2nd gear. First drive the car the way it is and see how you feel. I installed one in mine and I love it. But I also autox my car and I am looking for all the torque I can get in 2nd gear.
10) Check if there is a recall on the airbags. Mine have both been replaced last year.
11) If you have massive oil leaks you need to check the following: valve cover gasket, oil filter housing and oil pan.
12) Low voltage on the battery can create some weird electrical crap with the instruments. So if you have weird light or warnings check the battery first.
13) Get a smoke machine and check all your rubber hoses and vacuums in the intake. They are notorious for leaking air and tripping the check engine light.
14) Check if the car is SULEV. If it is, be aware that the fuel pump is integral to the tank. It must be replaced as one.
15) A hesitation when accelerating can be cause by a bad plug or coil or a failing fuel pump. All are easy to replace.
16) If you have a weird cricket sound in the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel or a whistling sound then you need to replace a small fan that is cooling an electronic computer. Its almost like a laptop fan. Google it up. I gave up and changed mine after listening to the damm thing for years.
17) Window regulators suck although mine are still original. If they make noise, open the window and try to fix them. You may be able to save them.
18) The cloth on the pillar covers on the interior fails after while. I tried to fix mine but they did not look good. So I bought a set from ECS. They look sharp now.
19) Just because you have the phone button on the steering it does not mean you have the BT module. Google it up. There is tons of info.
20) Look into swapping sport seats. The regular seats suck. Its like you seat on a wooden bench.

Everything I mentioned above should come after fixing all the maintenance related items of course. If you have any questions just ask. I am pretty familiar with these cars.
Wow, thanks for the info, I'll probably be referencing this in the future.

·
Registered
23,034 Posts
He probably also means check the subframe mounts for cracks in the chassis. Pretty much everything important has been mentioned so far. Welcome to the E46 club!
The chassis cracks? :what: :eek:

·
Registered
10,085 Posts

·
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #78

·
Sausage King of Chicago
100,666 Posts
This is uh, interesting.

Yeah, but 99% of those problems were on M3s and ZHP cars that were driven hard. Same thing with the subframe ripping the floor out of the Z3--it's pretty much just the M cars and the ones driven at high lateral-Gs.

This is an 87k mile car that has clearly never seen the track, or likely snow. I'd wager it's fine.

·
17,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Yeah, but 99% of those problems were on M3s and ZHP cars that were driven hard. Same thing with the subframe ripping the floor out of the Z3--it's pretty much just the M cars and the ones driven at high lateral-Gs.

This is an 87k mile car that has clearly never seen the track, or likely snow. I'd wager it's fine.
The PO was in her 70's.

:laugh: :laugh:

61 - 80 of 945 Posts