VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now on one of the threads i found this picture of this extreemly nice lookin Fox wagon, and i wanted to know how some one got thoses rims to fit on the car, althogh the question was asked, it wasnt answered, (at least to my knowledge) I have a pair of rims i found at the junk yard but there somewhere in the 16-18 inch range and i would love to put them on my car, and when i saw this i thought now it might be possible. But i dont know how someone got those rims on there with no/little rubbing, does that require some sawing of the wheel well? If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would make my year, Thanks,
Tim

P.S. I believe the picture was in the " Fox Potential" Thread

[Modified by 93FOXGL04, 12:28 AM 1-29-2003]

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Re: Its been buggin me! (93FOXGL04)

A Fox will accept a 22" wheel if you use a rubber band for a tire. It's really all a matter of wheel offset and tire width and profile. You need to know the offset of your wheels.
For tire diameter in inches, use this formula. You should keep the diameter as clost to stock as possible. Stock is about 22.7 inches from tread to tread.
Overall tire diameter in inches = Wheel diameter + [(treadwidth * aspect ratio expressed as a decimal * 2) / 25.4]
In other words, if you have a 195-50-15 tire and you want to find factory size...
D = 15 + (195*.5*2)/25.4
D = 22.677 inches.
So, you need to find a tire size (probably not wider than 195 or 205) that conforms reasonably to this diameter. But first you need that wheel offset!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Re: Its been buggin me! (TeraFox)

JP is spot on: what is the offset.
I have a 185/65 14 inch tire on a 38MM offset rim. I can stick a finger between of the rear axle and the RIM. Not the tire, the rim.
So, I have seen 17-18 inch tires that go size wise 205/40/17. This has to be the freakiest tire size, I would love to see it in person. The way I see it, you have to at least TRY to run a 45 MM (stock) offset.
In answer, I have seen pics of two wagons with 17-18 inch wheels. Looks? well, personal choice there. I wish I would have been there, because I am not afraid to get on my belly (as I had to do with Adam and Vinz cars) to see how it is laid out underneath.
Suckers have to be jambed in there TIGHT, though.
Good luck, hope you don't buy $400 in tires to see that they won't fit. That is what holds me back.
That, and the looks/acceleration/local roads thing.
LP

·
Registered
521 Posts
Re: Its been buggin me! (92foxrox)

Don't forget the load rating on the tire as well. You want to have at least a 78 load rating in the service description for the FOX. You'll find that on the sidewall right after the long size number. It will show 78T or 82H etc.... That load rating is critical for safety and handling. I've seen quite a few people running under rated tires with plus size fitments. They can't seem to figure out why the tires wear out so fast or keep getting bubbles in the sidewalls. Duh!! I run 195/50-15 Kumho 712 V rated in the Summer and go back to the 14" for the Winter. With a 15X7 35mm offset Borbet Type T wheels I had to roll the fender lips for added clearance. I have the Neuspeed springs as well and with the stock Boge struts I did bottom out in the rear with people in the car or over big bumps. I am now running KYB G60 Rear struts which bumped the ride hight up about 1/2" which took care of the bottoming out. I plan on going to the adjustable G60 Koni Sports in the Spring. Those have the adjustable spring seat so I can fine tune the rear end. I don't care for the rake front to back now. Koni also makes a threaded strut perch sleeve that I am checking into. May be the best way to go with an adjustable suspension using the G60 rears and standard VW/Audi front Koni adjustable inserts. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Its been buggin me! (themonkeymobster)

Today turned out to be a very interesting day for me and my fox. I went and removed my "spare tire" and jack to put in a sub box, and i found that "spare" was a 5 lug, not bad. I also noticed when i baught my car, it needed a front end alignment, bad so i was measuring up my wells, fender, just to see what it was about and i realized my car doesnt have matching rims or tires. I guess im running 2 differnt tire sizes. So i def. need some rims w/ Matchin tires. And if i figured this out right The offset has to be atleast 35mm whats the maximum offset i can do with out rolling my fenders and cuttin my wells? And the rims in my garage are 17s what size tire do i get? Im stumped.
Id like to be lazy and pretty much just throw them on there, but if theres no way to get em on, ill do the work, Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Re: Its been buggin me! (93FOXGL04)

quote:[HR][/HR]The offset has to be atleast 35mm whats the maximum offset i can do with out rolling my fenders and cuttin my wells? Tim
[HR][/HR]​
Well, you can run any factory VW wheel without problems. As the offset number gets larger, it moves the wheel farther INBOARD. So, what you are really asking is what is the MINIMUM offset with which you can get away. Stock Fox wheels (like all B-series VW except Quantums with snowflake wheels) are 45 offset. My faves, Audi 4000 Ronal wheels, are 45 offset. I have run 15*6.5 Konig GTRs with a 33 offset and 195-50-15s without rubbing. That's as far as I have gone.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Re: Its been buggin me! (themonkeymobster)

quote:[HR][/HR]What about the dual round grill on that car. . . . looks A2. . . . anyone know??
I mean, how was it done??
[HR][/HR]​
Aah. I have seen it done before, and it seldom looks very good, because it seldom is done right. I have heard such is the case for this car. It's done with ye olde cut'n'weld.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] ... Stock Fox wheels (like all B-series VW except Quantums with snowflake wheels) are 45 offset. ...[HR][/HR]​
Minor nit: the base/steel Fox wheels are 45 offset. The alloy (7 and 9 spoke 5.5x13) wheels, which were standard on GL Sport and some Wolfsburg (1989 & ?) and optional on others, are 38 mm offset.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Re: Its been buggin me! (FOXisVW2)

No. I refuse to be wrong.

So, which 13" wheels have which offset? Wheel offset would be an excellent FAQ topic, don't y'all think? Let's come up with names for the different styles as well. We all know tarantula. Let's name the others and one of us can make a nice FAQ post with swell pics.
Jonathan

·
Registered
153 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]What about the dual round grill on that car. . . . looks A2. . . . anyone know??
I mean, how was it done??

Aah. I have seen it done before, and it seldom looks very good, because it seldom is done right. I have heard such is the case for this car. It's done with ye olde cut'n'weld.[HR][/HR]​
A lot of work to have your early Fox look like an A2 GTi. One might also mention that it would be more difficult to do on a later Fox with the composite headlamps as the grill and headlamps are not as tall as the earlier ones. Hood, fenders, and front body panels are different from earlier Foxes too, making it a difficult proposition without a lot of cutting and welding. Seems like a lot of work to me. If you want the look of an A2 GTi, might I suggest buying an A2 GTi?

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Re: Its been buggin me! (FOXisVW2)

quote:[HR][/HR] Minor nit: the base/steel Fox wheels are 45 offset. The alloy (7 and 9 spoke 5.5x13) wheels, which were standard on GL Sport and some Wolfsburg (1989 & ?) and optional on others, are 38 mm offset. [HR][/HR]​
I'm almost positive my steels were ET38s, like my GTi wheels. Or maybe the GTi wheels were ET45. I forget now. I should be able to look in March.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Re: Its been buggin me! (Coolwhite Fox)

I know my stock Fox wheels are 45s--all 20 or so of them! I have (I think) four full sets with mounted and balanced tires. If anybody needs a super-cheap deal on ready-to-go tires, let me know. I'm slappy with them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts