VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, promptly at 7:30 my MK2 and first VW was dropped off!
No pics yet, but it's an '87 GTI 16v. Silver. Straight from New Mexico, I still even have a New Mexico yellow plate in the trunk. Paint is baked, body is rust free! Only dent I can find is on the driver's door from someone obviously bumping the door shut with their hip.
Other than that, it's pretty damned clean. typical wear on the front two seats, especially the driver's.
Factory teardrops, decent tires.
Current gear, progress and first week's mods/fixes.:
Previous owner installed a quad headlight setup with crystal clear Hella hi-beams.
I bought an ABD Short Shift and ABD Weighted P-Shift - already installed. (So Incredibly Easy to do...15minutes total.) I bought and had planned to install all new shift bushings, but found that previous owner had already recently done so.
Old Pioneer DEH-P3500 headunit and broken dash bezel already removed, mint replacement bezel and an entire replacement mint dashboard with chrome strip to be installed this week. Put the Pioneer head-unit in a family member's super-clean MK1 Jetta Diesel.
MK4 Front and Rear Red/Black stitched seats sitting in garage waiting to be installed.
There are currently Pioner 6x9's cut into the rear deck by previous owner ran off of a 2/1 channel Blaupunkt amp....have an uncut mint rear deck to replace it with. Plan on putting 5x7's back into stock locations, removing amp. Rockford 3.5"
Eurosport front sway bar given to me by previous owner but with no mounting hardware...plan on ordering the mounting hardware this week.
I bought a Beltronic's Vector FX2 Performance computer today so that when I begin adding parts I will have something to go by a bit more accurate than the butt-dyno.
So, I drove it for about 4 hours today while running errands. My first impression? Wow! This is my first Volkswagen, and I'm very impressed. I also have a '90 Nissan 300z....the GTI is just as fun to drive as my Z, if not more fun running around town. I'm sure this has been said before, but the GTI feels like I'm driving a golf cart.
The exhaust grunt when it's ran up into the top of the RPM band is absolutely fantastic sounding....I cant wait to put an aftermarket setup on it.
Here are my questions....keep in my this is my first VW and the first car I am going to modify. My 300Z is complete stock except for the stereo.
It seems to me that at idle, the car is running a bit rough....but when accelerating, it pulls hard and smoothly. Could this be a timing issue? I think that it may just be due to the fact that the car hasn't been driven in the past 6 months, and has a tank full of 87 octane gas.
I noticed that sometimes the car is a bit hard to start. I stopped and started it about 8 times, 3 out of those times, I had to try a second time to start it.
Tomorrow I plan on doing standard tune-up stuff...oil change and new plugs, K&N filter if total for parts doesn't cost too much.
Does anyone have any Plug and Oil/Grade recommendations? What else should I check for? I plan on running to the local auto parts store tonight to get everything I need.
Any other tips for a new VW owner?

Modified by StoneGTI at 12:11 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No pics. Just got the car last night and digital cam's batteries are dead. Anyone know a good and free photo hosting site?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just took the car for a quick little night-time drive to fool around with and Calibrate the Vector. Another thing I'm happy to say is that the quad headlight setup's hi-beams are incredibly bright. I've never owned a car with such bright high-beams. The quad headlight setup is definitely staying.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After driving the car today, I'm again quite impressed. I have 2 coworkers who drive very tastefully modified hondas. They were both impressed by how the nearly stock GTI pulled in the upper RPMs. I didn't have time to work on the car, only drive an observe it. I'm finding that removing the radio was a great surprise, I'm learning a lot from just listening to car while driving all day.
So, it appears I have an oil leak that definitely needs attention. The size of the oil leak corresponds to how hard/long I've driven the car. I drove it VERY hard on the highway for about 30 minutes twice today to burn off the old gas that has been sitting on the car. When I got arrived at home, an oil leak approximately the size of an orange and another the size of a quarter approximately 8 inches back and to the right of the large one, which is centered towards the front of the car. However, if I take short trips, or even sitting overnight the leak doesn't manifest itself. Once the car cools down, the leak stops.
I'm planning on doing an oilchange & plugs hopefully tomorrow and see if I can poke around for a bad gasket somewhere. The previous owner installed an oil pressure gauge, I plan on tracing it from the cabin back to see if anything corresponds with the leak.
Anyone have any specific things I should look for tomorrow?

·
Banned
2,339 Posts
Re: (StoneGTI)

Quote, originally posted by StoneGTI »

Anyone have any specific things I should look for tomorrow?

valve cover gasket would be my guess, but I don't really know anything. Good luck with the car and welcome to our world!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts