VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Re: "It's Not a Choice. It's the Way We're Built," (baur323)

Subaru is taking advantage of a great marketing opportunity. I think it's good for them, but probably not so great for ....um, less secure Impreza owners.

·
Registered
23,018 Posts
Re: "It's Not a Choice. It's the Way We're Built," (turbo_nine)

Gawd...you kinda feel sorry for the guys with the pink STi badging...now people are gonna think they're sending the wrong message. Expect a run on the black and blue STi badges.

·
Banned
4,560 Posts

Guess they've got a lot of confidence in the hetero appeal of their product.
Subaru is not the first auto maker I would think of as a supplier to Gay men. Gay women maybe.

·
Registered
14,339 Posts
Re: "It's Not a Choice. It's the Way We're Built," (Bob Roberts)

who cares? I guess the southern baptists will now boycott them...oh no. Maybe Bush will sign an order saying they can't sell cars here anymore

·
Registered
23,018 Posts
Re: "It's Not a Choice. It's the Way We're Built," (what)

quote:[HR][/HR]who cares? I guess the southern baptists will now boycott them...oh no. Maybe Bush will sign an order saying they can't sell cars here anymore
[HR][/HR]​
You know, you're one of the most prejudiced, intolerant people I've had the displeasure of communicating with. Typical Californian.

G

·

Well Duh. Subaru was the first advertiser to try and reach out to gay consumers, but they're hardly the only ones. SAAB, for example, has been a major supporter of gay pride celebrations for several years now. VW, too, gives money to its local advertisers to reach out to the gay community. Several gay couples with whom my partner and I are friends own Viggens. And I can't tell you how many lesbians I've had to talk out of Subarus (and mostly into VWs) because they thought it was the "cool car to own." Clearly the marketing is working.
You mean you've never heard that GWM stands for, "Guy With Money"?
And for the record, there's still VW's "Da da da" ad, which is one of the first ads targeted at the gay community. I know a lot of people here don't think that's so, but remember this: the ad was originally created to run on the "puppy episode" of Ellen when she came out.

[Modified by bgluckman, 9:30 PM 8-2-2002]

·
Registered
14,339 Posts
Re: "It's Not a Choice. It's the Way We're Built," (SchrickVR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]who cares? I guess the southern baptists will now boycott them...oh no. Maybe Bush will sign an order saying they can't sell cars here anymore

You know, you're one of the most prejudiced, intolerant people I've had the displeasure of communicating with. Typical Californian.[HR][/HR]​
Please explain. Southern Baptists boycoted disney because they gave benefits to partners of homosexual empolyees.

·
Registered
23,018 Posts

Southern Baptists are as backward as people can possibly be...no one takes them seriously anywhere. I'm an atheist, and they didn't take kindly to my telling them that, according to their belief system, they were all going to Hell.
I'm talking about your constant bitching about Bush, and constant insult of Texans in general, when you've proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that you know little to nothing about Texans.
And BTW, VW and Saab (as has been mentioned) have targeted gays for years without a peep from anyone, so get off your high horse.

·
Registered
14,339 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Southern Baptists are as backward as people can possibly be...no one takes them seriously anywhere. I'm an atheist, and they didn't take kindly to my telling them that, according to their belief system, they were all going to Hell.

I'm talking about your constant bitching about Bush, and constant insult of Texans in general, when you've proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that you know little to nothing about Texans.

And BTW, VW and Saab (as has been mentioned) have targeted gays for years without a peep from anyone, so get off your high horse.[HR][/HR]​
you seem to be paranoid. I would go see a doctor. Nobody is out to get texas.

·
Registered
23,018 Posts

And you apparently suffer from a disassociative personality...cos you can't remember all the biased, stupid statements you make. Anything political comes up, you bitch about Bush. Anything gets mentioned about Texas, you have some snide remark...re-read your gem of a thread about the Californians doing something about "global (LMAO at that one) warming." Also read the thread about the omwan running over her husband. I believe your words were something to the effect of "what else would you expect in Texas?"

·
Registered
14,339 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]And you apparently suffer from a disassociative personality...cos you can't remember all the biased, stupid statements you make. Anything political comes up, you bitch about Bush. Anything gets mentioned about Texas, you have some snide remark...re-read your gem of a thread about the Californians doing something about "global (LMAO at that one) warming." Also read the thread about the omwan running over her husband. I believe your words were something to the effect of "what else would you expect in Texas?"[HR][/HR]​
you seem to have a double standard for yourself
quote:[HR][/HR]You know, you're one of the most prejudiced, intolerant people I've had the displeasure
of communicating with. Typical Californian.[HR][/HR]​
Bitch about texas or bush and you are "prejudiced" and "intolerant". Saying that someone who is "prejudiced" and "intolerant" is a "typical californian" is different. sounds like texas "republican logic" (oxymoron?) to me

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Re: "It's Not a Choice. It's the Way We're Built," (A4Jetta)

when my friend (male and straight) had his jetta a guy driving a cabrio once asked him for his number. seriously, though, a car isn't your wang, to say it. if i had a WRX i'd love it so much i wouldn't care (and i'd laugh) that some manly man in a v6 mustang or an 80's camaro would question its masculinity.
and yes what, shrickvr6 is right, you're giving us californians a bad image. don't be so politicized, and don't just generalized people due to a loud mouth minority group.
will this be an what you talkin bout Willis????????

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I always find these marketing strategies odd. Targeting certain demographics or regions makes sense, but sexuality doesn't seem to match. If you're going to target Gays, then why not Southern Baptists, for example?
In other words, basing who you target on their belief system seems a little irrelevant to me.
And Subaru, save for the Explorer Sport Trac have the Lesbian market cornered (I'm not kidding, I've sold both)!

·
Premium Member
1991 Civic Si
11,495 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
Subaru is taking advantage of a great marketing opportunity. I think it's good for them, but probably not so great for ....um, less secure Impreza owners.
[HR][/HR]​
are you sure? are they not perhaps alienating a large percentage of their potential audience for a few?
so this is the tag line for the ad instead of 'the beauty of all wheel drive'?
I mean seriouslly, what if Subaru did come out with a thinly veiled ad geared towards southern baptists would that be a good idea for the rest of their customer base? How many homosexuals would buy the car then? would it really be so terrible for a group to choose not to purchase a product based on the messages that company gives?
"....um, less secure Impreza owners" exactly- as well as potential buyers. Insecurity is not the only reason someone may dislike a car company's ad or the image they are trying to produce for themselves.

[Modified by MGQ, 2:12 PM 8-3-2002]

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.