VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im finally in a mk1. I had a mk2 gti for almost 2 years, finally just wanted something new. Found an 81 rabbit 1.6l diesel with an aftermarket turbo in pretty good condition (although it does have its flaws), and finally picked it up this morning.

Im in college, so this is by no means an all out build thread as I have neither the time or money, and honestly it might get stored for the winter as me and my brother share a car at college. But for the rest of the summer, and hopefully many years in the future, I will be rocking this thing for all ive got :laugh:

Plans are to fix all the rust, all the dings and dents, then repaint it sometime in the future. Find the missing pieces from the interior which is like 5 things plus the crappy headliner that I just trashed. New wheels/suspension, my last car was SLAMMED, I dont think im going that direction with this one, but it will be stanced and fairly low. Keep it running FOREVER.

The car has around 110k mileage (but the odo doesnt work anymore..), engine runs great and the turbo helps give it at least a little power, small amounts of rust, great interior, good exterior.

So here is when I got it

Immediately drove it around all day :) Then started cleaning

Headliner came out, sounds like a piece of sheet metal being hit by a hammer whenever you close a door (which I guess is basically what is happening...)

Found this above the headliner

I was curious as to why there were giant balls of the padding, and then I saw dog food...

And then I feces....

Thankfully I didnt find any dead mice, but has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

Next to go was the side trim, the clear coat was peeling off of it and it just looked bad. I might try to refinish it and put it back on, but I like the look without it. If anything ill just replace them with vinyl strips.

I only got about 1/3 done with removing the adhesive. Does anyone have a trick for getting that stuff off? Such a pain!

The car drives really nice but shakes at about 55mph, so I did a bit of a self alignment and now it shakes at 60mph, which I guess is an improvement, but not what I was looking for.

That is about all for now. I work the next 2 days and then my girlfriend is coming down from NH to visit me, so not much will get done on the car other than me driving it for a bit. Hoping to pick up some new wheels as early as this weekend, and some coils to (Hopefully H&R ultra lows, crossing my fingers on that).

Questions, comments, and criticisms are all welcome! I know almost nothing about diesels other than they dont have spark plugs (right?!?!), and mk1's are a whole new beast coming from the mk2 world. But im excited, and looking forward to more of this car in my future.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Cool bunny.

I used a 3m wheel to get that adheisive off. Its a huge rubber eraser basically. :thumbup:

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Don't ditch the cardboard from the headliner. They don't exactly grow on trees. ;)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool bunny.

I used a 3m wheel to get that adheisive off. Its a huge rubber eraser basically. :thumbup:

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2
Sounds good, I might just pick one up because using a bottle cap as a plastic scraper just isnt working anymore :eek:

:thumbup: Nice start
Thanks!

Don't ditch the cardboard from the headliner. They don't exactly grow on trees. ;)
Really? I have a couple that are options for me to buy right now. But maybe I will save the old one just in case :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Really? I have a couple that are options for me to buy right now. But maybe I will save the old one just in case :thumbup:
If you look up the headliner threads on this forum, the biggest question asked is 'does anyone know where I can get new headliner cardboard?' If you don't ditch it, you can just glue new fabric to it and stick it back up. I put a new headliner in my car, and it turned out to be pretty easy.

But be sure to disinfect the mouse poo first :sly:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you look up the headliner threads on this forum, the biggest question asked is 'does anyone know where I can get new headliner cardboard?' If you don't ditch it, you can just glue new fabric to it and stick it back up. I put a new headliner in my car, and it turned out to be pretty easy.

But be sure to disinfect the mouse poo first :sly:
Oh, I would have refinished it if the cardboard was still good, but it was super saggy and bent, looked like this: Its supposed to be concave, not convex haha

I refinished the headliner and pillars in my last car and they looked great. I would have done the same thing with this one if the cardboard was actually reusable... I dont want you to think that I was throwing away good parts :thumbup:

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,534 Posts
yes it is apparently very common that mice prefer to live above in the headliner

this happens because the car sits in a field somewhere for a few years
mice can get inside no matter what

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I guess I shouldnt be surprised that it has sat for a while sometime in the past 31 years, it only has 110k mileage. I have a bunch of cleanup stuff that im hoping to accomplish sometime soon, but my girlfriend is coming down from NH for the next couple days, and then I work a ton all next week, so well see what I get done. Also hoping to make it to mk1 madness, maybe :p

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I picked up some things today, and did just a little bit of work. I still havent washed it, and I have a feeling that its going to be an entirely different color :p

Grabbed these 15" Centra Type 7's and some H&R Ultra Low's with low low mileage. The centra's area little beat up, but they were crazy cheap and I wanted different wheels. Plans are to clean them up a bit and then plastidip them black and get some new tires sometime in the future when I can find a deal. Possibly refinish them completely if I get the time/$ (and NO, I did NOT spray paint them like that...)

Other than that I just redid the sound deadening on the roof with what I could reuse from before, as well as some quickroof to keep it quiet in the cabin. Quick roof acts as a great sound deadening material, and its waaaaaay cheaper and you can buy it at Lowes :laugh:

Thats all for today, coils should be going on tomorrow with the wheels, ill get some pics of that when it happens :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally got my ultra lows on today, and let me say they ride amazing, here is my expensive vs cheap coilover rant:

Cheap coils are fine as long as you are keeping your car at a reasonable height, as soon as you lower them to far they SUCK. I had racelands and they rode like crap once they were low (which was like really low). At a normal or relatively lowered height they rode great, even awesome. If you are looking to keep a nice ride when your low, definitely get some nicer coils, or more specifically coils that are meant to go low, like ultra lows. But if you just want to slam your car go ahead and get whatever you want, but it will suck.

Anyway, they are on, I borrowed some 5 spoke flyers from Standard125r (thank you!!!) and now im happy. Ill be rocking them until I get my 165's on the centras, at which point the stancing will begin. Rolled some of the fenders today with basically a board to protect the outside of the fender, and a vice grip style wrench with some duct tape so there was no metal on metal: worked like a charm!

Now im going to madness tomorrow, looking for a bunch of parts and hopefully having a good time with you all. Ill try to get some pics soon.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Before I even start I just want to say that I love this car. Driving it is an absolute blast, and it does AMAZING on the highway, Im in the passing lane most of the time, and the only time it cant keep up is on steeper hills. In any case, its a blast to drive, and its just going to get better from here (it still needs some work, which I find exciting).

Finally got to work in Bugsy today (As my girlfriend has affectionately nicknamed my car, short for Bugs Bunny) :laugh:

Started taking out the interior and ended up with everything out but the front carpet (and that is 90% out), and the dash (that is staying in....). Can I just say that the glue stuff that they use to adhere the carpet to the floor is such a pain.... This carpet has never been up in 31 years, and its a nightmare working with that stuff... anyway, the car will probably stay like this for a while (with seats put back in :rolleyes: and maybe the front carpet too) as I do some rust repair and get everything solid. But it looks really good except for 2 or 3 places, so im not too worried.

Tomorrow Im going to finish taking out the carpet, and then clean/sweet up everything real good, got some loctite extend on the rust areas, put sound deadening in, finish taking the hitch off (will be for sale with a full brake/turn signal assembly!), take the bumpers off, and probably some more stuff :p

Anyway, here are some crappy pictures just to prove that I am working on the car haha

Thanks for looking, there will be more to come tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts