VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this a few years ago (looks a bit peckish stock but it fun enough with the 2.7 turbo and 10 sped auto).

And now my oem Michelins are shot and this happened this morning.

I said eff it and just got a ride to the office (close by).
Checked around- oems are back ordered (WTF?).
So now I need a new set of tires... time to upgrade the wheels too as these are just too narrow imo.
Show my some wheel/tire upgrade options.
I'm thinking 20" or 22", plus a slight drop.
But I do not not want rubbing.
I have to admit, black/dark wheels are definitely growing on me know.
This isn't a bad look.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
No help to your question but in refrence to the oems not being available I have been looking for Michlens for my wife's mall runner and they have been backordered since the summer. Not sure if its a covid thing. . .

·
Registered
2006 LS430, 2012 GX460, 2005 ES330, 2018 Explorer PI
2,510 Posts
I live in Houston and drive upwards of 3,000 miles a month, often in the worst possible traffic conditions... during all that driving I can't even recall the last time I saw a single cab short bed F150. Must say though, they look good! :thumbup:

·
Registered
82,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Houston and drive upwards of 3,000 miles a month, often in the worst possible traffic conditions... during all that driving I can't even recall the last time I saw a single cab short bed F150. Must say though, they look good! :thumbup:
TBH, they do kind of ride like sh*t though on anything less than smoothness.
Short wheelbase + light bed + solid rear axle.

·
Premium Member
7,765 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Big fan of the flat faced OEM 20s:

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
TBH, they do kind of ride like sh*t though on anything less than smoothness.
Short wheelbase + light bed + solid rear axle.
If you think it has a flinty ride now, personally I wouldn't upsize more than an 18".

I would do something like 245/70-17 to 265/60-18 - then you only lose a half inch of sidewall.

If you go to 20s, you will lose about 1.5" of sidewall.

What does the take-off situation look like on your local Craigslist? If you have a full-size spare it might be worth waiting a few months for people who dump the factory wheels and tires on their new '21s.

The new 18" STX wheels look pretty nice to me (3rd one on the top row)

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Explorer ST wheels would look nice on your truck. Not sure how the availability is on those though or if they share a bolt pattern.

·
Registered
82,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you think it has a flinty ride now, personally I wouldn't upsize more than an 18".
I honestly don't think it's a function of the wheel/tire on my truck- but due to the short wheelbase.
It doesn't bother me... but my mother was quite vocally not comfortable. :laugh::(

·
Premium Member
F82 Krautrocket
6,071 Posts
I don't really have anything constructive to add other than DO EET. Always had a soft spot for sport trucks ever since the second gen lightning.

Also, it's amazing how much the old style mesh grille improves the look of this generation F150, I'd get one of those along with the springs/wheels.

As for color, the black pops against the red, not sure against the grey you have. I think I'd go with something polished, not chrome/shiny, not silver/matte, but a nice metallic polished finish.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Its a strange regional thing. East Tennessee has more RCSB trucks per capita than anywhere else I've ever been. WV has a bunch too, and so does the western part of Virginia. Cross that border into NC though and they're all gone.

·
Registered
88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
23,843 Posts
18's are not going to look in any way sporty on a truck of this size these days. 20's are pretty much the minimum IMO if you are concerned with looks and plan on dropping it.

·
Registered
16,545 Posts
My '16 is a 2wd supercrew but I think it fits the thread.

5.0 with Roush S/C and exhaust
Wilwood brake kit all around
McGaughey 2/4 drop
Fox shocks on the rear because the stock ones are crap as has been mentioned
Helwig rear sway bar
Yukon Gear posi unit (went from 3.31 to 3.55 gears)

I am running Foose Switch wheels (22s). They are a nice simple 6 spoke design in black.

One of these days I need to set up an account to host photos so I can post them.

I was thinking about going Stage 2 with a custom tune but then bought my ZL1 so I am pretty well set for hp between the two, lol. ;)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Very curious what OP’s truck cost. Seems like it could be a lot of power for not a lot of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts