VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i have a ? to ask, I own a piece called a civic hatchback at the time when i bought it, it was the only one i could afford. The moment i can find a buyer for it i need another car.
Now the Gti is great becasue im into small cars and i heard that you can fix them up for cheap and make them faster, and i also love M3 big time e36 models.
Now the ? becomes if im in the range of 16-19k what is a good thing for me to do. I love the look of the 2002 model Gti interior also great color and everything. Can you guys tell me if these cars last and can they be made fast enough to hang with a stock M3. And how much of Mods would it take..
Thank You guys youve always been helpful

Modified by SARO714 at 3:01 AM 2-15-2004

·
Banned
8,251 Posts
Re: Ive always liked the GTI 1.8T But? (SARO714)

u have alot of history to catch up on.
1.8t = easy cheap jerky speed
vr6 = expencive smooth torquey power.
u can chip a 1.8t easily and hang with an e36 m3. turbo upgrades and e46 m3.
now how long will a chipped 1.8t last? i guarentee turbine failure/engine failure will be MUCH sooner than if left stock.
if ur gonna chip, do the right precationary steps to ensure longetivity.
honestly if u want a 1.8t, and want speed, spend the money and do a full turbo upgrade and engine upgrades.
oh yeah, VW's do break for random reasons. they arent the best egineered cars out there. u really need to have a love for the car and company to keep one for a while.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Re: Ive always liked the GTI 1.8T But? (ninja_van1sh)

Quote, originally posted by ninja_van1sh »
oh yeah, VW's do break for random reasons. they arent the best egineered cars out there. u really need to have a love for the car and company to keep one for a while.

The same is true for BMW's...so I don't think either choice would be worse, depends what you want. A M3 will outhandle a GTI all day long, but I would expect it would be a lot easier to make a GTI faster than a E36 M3 in a straight line.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts

u have alot of history to catch up on.
u can chip a 1.8t easily and hang with an e36 m3. turbo upgrades and e46 m3.
now how long will a chipped 1.8t last? i guarentee turbine failure/engine failure will be MUCH sooner than if left stock.
if ur gonna chip, do the right precationary steps to ensure longetivity.
honestly if u want a 1.8t, and want speed, spend the money and do a full turbo upgrade and engine upgrades.

Cheap jerky speed? If you mean the turbo spooling up then ok, I'll give you that. But our turbos spool amazingly low...probably full boost at 2.5k-3k. You won't even notice the lag.
With regards to the turbine failing and engine failing...come on, ANY car would have higher wear if you up the power from stock; even your 6. The 1.8T engine is engineered quite well. There are guys putting down 400+WHP on STOCK internals.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Re: Ive always liked the GTI 1.8T But? (Nessal)

Quote, originally posted by Nessal »

Cheap jerky speed? If you mean the turbo spooling up then ok, I'll give you that. But our turbos spool amazingly low...probably full boost at 2.5k-3k. You won't even notice the lag.

You will have to excuse Ninja, he has a VR6, he doesnt know what real power feels like........

Modified by MRP2001GTi at 8:49 PM 2-14-2004

·
Banned
8,251 Posts
Re: Ive always liked the GTI 1.8T But? (Nessal)

Quote, originally posted by Nessal »

With regards to the turbine failing and engine failing...come on, ANY car would have higher wear if you up the power from stock; even your 6. The 1.8T engine is engineered quite well. There are guys putting down 400+WHP on STOCK internals.

indeed i do own a vr6. let me ask u this.
are u smarter than VWAG and AG engineers? are you so gullible to believe that the engineers do not know about producing more HP from the 1.8t engine? why do you think they didnt?
dont you think they could sell MORE cars and turn out high profits with a FASTER car simply by changing boost, and a/f mapping?
this was meant in no offense.
by jerky what i meant was the lag time, albeit there is a small lag time, the vr6 is by comparison much smoother.
the reason why i chose the vr6 over the 1.8t? every day driveability and the pure fun of cruising with it.
i have no hate for 1.8t's, just i prefer vr6.
(p.s. i am real ultimate power!)

·
Banned
8,251 Posts
Re: Ive always liked the GTI 1.8T But? (MRP2001GTi)

Quote, originally posted by MRP2001GTi »

You will have to excuse Ninja, he has a VR6, he doesnt know what real power feels like........

Modified by MRP2001GTi at 8:49 PM 2-14-2004

driving a carrera targa for a weekend and s2000 for couple days...soo...i do know aspirated power
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by ninja_van1sh at 8:17 AM 2-15-2004

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

driving a carrera targa for a weekend and s2000 for couple days...soo...i do know aspirated power
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by ninja_van1sh at 8:17 AM 2-15-2004

Once you're driven/own an S2000...it's hard to go back to any other car....i still miss that car.
As for VW's: one word: Boost!
I hang with modded E36 M3's, and i'm not chipped either.
-Jesse

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
hang with e36 m3s? dude, vw's can't do that.. My cousin has hung with my other friend's F355 on the twisties... now m3s CAN HANDLE and have great power.
No VWs w/o SERIOUS suspension geometry modifications, and without a good 250 hp can hang with an e36. It's geared for acceleration, and turns.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts

u can always tell who the VR6 drivers are

anyway, i have no problems with everyday driveability from my 1.8T.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts

are u smarter than VWAG and AG engineers? are you so gullible to believe that the engineers do not know about producing more HP from the 1.8t engine? why do you think they didnt?

They're also limited by things like emissions regs, and watching fuel consumption across the model line. Some of the state of tume they chose, I'm sure, is for long-term reliability -- but some of the conservative tuning is for other reasons, too.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

You should take this fellows generalizations with a grain of salt. My last 1.8t (1999) had 107,000 chipped miles on the STOCK turbo. The only component failure I had was the stock diverter valve at 50,000 miles. The reason I got rid if if was because I like to be in a new car often, not because it was on its last leg.
The testimonials to the 1.8Ts durability are a dime-a-dozen on the vortex, chipped or not. If you select a conservative chip for your car such as APR, and you take good care of it, then you will likely sell your car long before the engine fails. You simply need to be smart about driving it - don't drive it like you stole it and it will hold up just fine. Have the option of being able to switch back to stock settings for day-to-day driving, as you don't need all the torque of the chipped 1.8 for going to pick up milk; this will save you years of wear. The problem is that many people who chip their 1.8s drive them with 'great spirt' very often - this will, understandably so, reduce engine life.
The quality of this engine is rather remarkable and I believe that many mechanics and automotive engineers hold that same sentiment. To say it is poorly engineered is just laughable.

Modified by JTwGTI at 6:09 AM 2-15-2004

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Re: Ive always liked the GTI 1.8T But? (SARO714)

SARO714 said:
Now the ? becomes if im in the range of 16-19k what is a good thing for me to do.
my 2004 GTI brand new was only 18,850 - so just get a new one

·
Registered
2005 S2000, 2019 G70 6MT, 2019 i3 REX, 2003 XC70
16,728 Posts
Alright I'll chime in here. A Mk4 GTI is a great car, but be prepared to have more maintenance and repairs than on your Civic. My GTI 1.8T now has 101,000 miles. I bought an aftermarket extended warranty (which just expired at 100k) and it paid for itself TWICE, mostly due to stupid small things breaking, glove box door, cup holders, etc.
The motor, which has been chipped since 15k miles, is incredibly stout. Other than a premature timing belt failure (covered under warranty) and a diverter valve, I have had NO engine issues.
The transmission has been similarly trouble free. Many people complain about grinding, but I have had no grinds and I am still on my stock clutch.
In all, I think a GTI (or any VW for that matter) is a good buy as long as you can put up with more maintenance issues than your average Honda. You can get a lot of power out of the 1.8T for cheap, and always remember that keeping up with maintenance and choosing not to abuse your car goes a long, long way.
-Nick

·
Registered
2005 S2000, 2019 G70 6MT, 2019 i3 REX, 2003 XC70
16,728 Posts

Whatever.
My motor was torn down at 95,000 miles, having been chipped since 15,000. We found virtually no wear on the pistons, cylinder walls, valvetrain, cams, and turbo.
The fact is that the K03 was designed for 1.1 bar of boost, and there is no evidence to support that chipped motors and turbos fail more often than stock.
-Nick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts