VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: I've heard of buzzing with VDO, but Autometer too? (16vracer)

I got everyone all riled up on another post about Autometer so I won't make my opinion so public this time, but in short.......there are other gauges that, while they make cost more, you certainly won't notice that problem of buzzing (Apex, HKS, Greddy, Blitz, Omori). It is true that some people have had this Annoying problem though with Autometer. What can I say, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
Blackwing, Model 3, S2000, i3, Odyssey
15,849 Posts
Re: I've heard of buzzing with VDO, but Autometer too? ((QkShift))

quote:[HR][/HR]I got everyone all riled up on another post about Autometer so I won't make my opinion so public this time, but in short.......there are other gauges that, while they make cost more, you certainly won't notice that problem of buzzing (Apex, HKS, Greddy, Blitz, Omori). It is true that some people have had this Annoying problem though with Autometer. What can I say, you get what you pay for. [HR][/HR]​
You got everyone riled up my making moronic, erroneous comments, similar to this one. I, for one, would rather spend $35 on a gauge and $0.99 on a aquarium valve than $150 for a gauge that tells me the exact same thing.
16vracer, the fix for buzzing is very easy. Email me for tips if you want.
-Nick

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Re: I've heard of buzzing with VDO, but Autometer too? (wolfsburg_de)

no buzzing in mine at all.
my only problem is the glass piece on the front of the guage...it rattles a little bit (it's not in there completely tight!)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Re: I've heard of buzzing with VDO, but Autometer too? (Pinepig)

some people use a fuel filter(inline filter) i know this fix works for the vdo...i have never heard of an autometer buzzing before...like wolfsburg_de said, make sure that you put teflon tape on the back. i know they have a warranty on them, maybe you can get another one from them based on that (not sure) good luck and happy boosting

[Modified by 01silverGTI, 11:29 PM 11-30-2001]

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Re: I've heard of buzzing with VDO, but Autometer too? (01silverGTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]some people use a fuel filter(inline filter) i know this fix works for the vdo...i have never heard of an autometer buzzing before...like wolfsburg_de said, make sure that you put teflon tape on the back. i know they have a warranty on them, maybe you can get another one from them based on that (not sure) good luck and happy boosting

[Modified by 01silverGTI, 11:29 PM 11-30-2001][HR][/HR]​
I've had an A-pillar mounted VDO for a year or so. It buzzed badly, but I put a fuel filter inline and ziptied it near the N75 valve and it doesn't buzz now.
You can also put a little piece of open cell foam inside the brass fitting before you screw it on to the gauge. Supposedly this works too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: I've heard of buzzing with VDO, but Autometer too? (GTI 20v)

So you're a cheapass. Dude, I am posting the truth. Other gauges don't buzz...I am not erroneous in this comment and I never argued that it couldn't be fixed. Quite frankly...gettin a little sick of your mouth. I kept quiet about my opinion on this post and you still wanna start $hit.

[Modified by (QkShift), 4:54 PM 12-1-2001]

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

QkShift, we are talking about fixes for mechanical gauges. I'm not sure but i think the gauges you are talking about are electrical, and won't buzz....electrical gauges are great and i'm sure yours works fine...but some of us guys don't like electrical gauges on pressure readings, so we have to fix lil problems like that.....
BTW..why so confrontational?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: I've heard of buzzing with VDO, but Autometer too? (01silverGTI)

....not confrontational. But this guy calls me an idiot and then a moron. I didn't say anything the first time, but it gets old. I agree that sometimes mechanical is better for some people. Nuff said, I'm off this thread. Sometimes I come off a little strong...but I guess I am just really passionate about some things (maybe a love or hate type person). No offense to all.

·
Registered
Blackwing, Model 3, S2000, i3, Odyssey
15,849 Posts

I was more reacting to the dumb things QkShift said in another thread.
Anyway, the info on fixing VDO buzzing, not sure if this will work for autometer buzzing:
The secret to getting rid of gauge vibrations is to add a damper to the boost line going to the gauge - something that will absorb the air pulses that are causing the vibrations. This can be accomplished in a number of ways.
1- Add several more feet of boost tubing under the dash.
2- Place a fuel filter in the boost line.
3- (what I did) Go to a pet supply store and buy an aquarium valve. This is a little plastic valve that simply has a variable restriction in it. I put it in the boost line (at a junction I already had) and adjusted the restriction until the gauge no longer buzzed. Now the gauge moves a little bit slower, but is still accurate and completely silent.
Hope this helps,
-Nick

[Modified by GTI 20v, 7:18 PM 12-1-2001]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.