VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

I've searched and searched and I cannot find this annoying rattle.

393 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  djrado 
#1 ·
It is without a doubt coming from the back of the car and driving me insane... I am about 95% certain it is something under the car. Its more of a clunk than a rattle BTW.
Things I know that it is not:
Hatch (adjusted bump stops)
Hatch Cover (removed still rattles)
Sub Box (removed still rattles)
Any plastic piece in the back. (this is a different sound than a plastic rattle)
Exhaust (the exhaust on my MK3 rattled and this is a completely different sound)
Bumper.
When I back out of my garage, there's about a 1" drop off from the cement garage floor to my driveway. Going, 0.0001 MPH whatever is causeing this rattle makes a noise. If I hit an expansion joint I can hear it, or any kind of decently large bump in the road... Please help before I go insane!
Thanks in advance!
I guess my question is, what under the car could I check?

#2 ·
Re: I've searched and searched and I cannot find this annoying rattle. (vw mofo)

sounds suspension related. Maybe get it on a lift and jerk around on the rear wheels and suspension, to see if anything is loose or makes the noise.

#7 ·
It's not the exhaust... Like I mentioned in the original post, the exhaust on my MK3 rattled and this is a completely different sound. Also, there are no marks anywhere from it hitting, including on the exhaust itself.
Can't feel the anything hitting the car either whic leads me to believe its something with the suspensions, but I'll be damned if I can find anything loose under there...

Modified by vw mofo at 1:43 PM 7-1-2003

#8 ·
Re: (zedcorrado)

Quote, originally posted by zedcorrado »
my top shock nut backed out on me and had me going crazy looking for the rattle it caused.

That happened on my last car too. I don't think this is the same, but I'll definitely look to see if it is...

#11 ·
Re: (djrado)

Well, I dunno, but I can tell you this clunk has been there since I bought the car in November. It probably is something with the suspension back there, but I don't think its anything with the shocks, etc...
This is an odd one... Lemme see if I can describe it a bit better. The clunk is a bit delayed. Ie, I hit the bump, suspension compresses and THEN I hear the clunk. Like something is physically loose. Best way to visualize it would be to take a paper clip and put it on a piece of paper. Tap the paper under the paper clip with your finger and then imagine my clunk is the sound the paper clip makes after it comes back down and hits the paper... Did that make sense?

Modified by vw mofo at 2:38 PM 7-1-2003

#12 ·
Re: (vw mofo)

Quote, originally posted by vw mofo »

This is an odd one... Lemme see if I can describe it a bit better. The clunk is a biy delayed. Ie, I hit the bump, suspension compresses and THEN I hear the clunk. Like something is physically loose. Best way to visualize it would be to take a paper clip and put it on a piece of paper. Tap the paper under the paper clip with your finger and then imagine my clunk is the sound the paper clip makes after it comes back down and hits the paper... Did that make sense?

*Exactly! My 5 year old daughter heard this clunk everytime shes back there and refused to sit back there till I fixed it cuz she was thingking that the wheel might come loose
. All I did was take the rear struts out amke sho they are sitting well and re tighten them. Voila No more Paper clip sound. Don`t worry man it should`nt be a biggie prob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.