VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
81,361 Posts
Re: I've seen topics of big rigs, SUVs, Vans and donks but haven't seen one of Buses? (nopal 6.0)

Quote, originally posted by nopal 6.0 »
and one of the coolest concepts ever!

GM Future Liner. Went for a good 4 mil on Barret Jackson auction.

·
Registered
22,318 Posts
Re: I've seen topics of big rigs, SUVs, Vans and donks but haven't seen one of Buses? (QuackDuck)

Quote, originally posted by QuackDuck »

This is the biggest windshield I've seen

Looks even bigger from the inside!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: I've seen topics of big rigs, SUVs, Vans and donks but haven't seen one of Buses? (nopal 6.0)

Spent 14 days traveling around Israel last month in one of these Scania (Saab?) busses....
They might be massive and look cool for a bus, but the legroom and general comfort of this bus was sucky. I was very jealous of the nicer looking Mercedes busses trotting around the Middle East.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Re: I've seen topics of big rigs, SUVs, Vans and donks but haven't seen one of Buses? (FlyMyGTI)

This is the bus I used when I toured Europe last summer. Very comfortable bus. It even had fake carbon fiber everywhere.

·
Registered
18,581 Posts

Here is a picture of one of the 6 different types of buses I drive at school.

In addition to the International AmTrans, we have 30' + 35' Gillig Phantoms, 35' Gillig Advantages (Low-Floors), Freightliners, and one Thomas.
They are all turbo-diesels. You've never felt turbo-lag untill you've driven some of these buses.

Modified by Jetty! at 12:57 PM 3-11-2007

·
Registered
23,230 Posts
Re: I've seen topics of big rigs, SUVs, Vans and donks bu ... (cityjohn)

Quote, originally posted by cityjohn »
and who could forget

For the life of me, I cant remember what movie this was off of...

·
Banned
7,987 Posts
Re: I've seen topics of big rigs, SUVs, Vans and donks bu ... (240nut)

MCI MC-12. For most of the 90's, this was the main workhorse of the Greyhound fleet. The MC-12 is an updated version of the MC-9, which was the workhorse of the Greyhound fleet throughout the 80's. Greyhound had tons of spare parts of the MC-9 that were still good and subsequently could be installed on the MC-12. Recycling anyone?
One interesting fact about Greyhounds MC-12's is the last generation of them, are 4 bangers! They're equipped with the Detroit Diesel Series 50, wiich is a Series 60 minus 2 cylinders.

Eagle Model 15. Eagle Coach has an interesting history. The first generation of Eagle buses, known as "Golden Eagles", were European buses built by Karl Kassbohrer and imported by Trailways. Another model, called the "Silver Eagle" was also imported. The Eagle Model 15 is descended from the Silver Eagle. Eagle eventually built their own plant in Brownsville, TX. Eagle coaches were known for their "Torsilastic" torsion bar suspension that gave an extremely smooth ride. After US production ceased, production for the Mexican market soldiered on for a few more years. Eagle bus shells are very popular for conversions.

MASA Strada. MASA (Mexicana de Autobuses) was purchased by Volvo in the 90's. The Strada is popular with small tour operators.

Mexican market Volvo 9700. Volvo is an extremely popular bus among Mexican long distance linehaul carriers. Volvo buses are among the few to offer TWO bathrooms, one for men, one for women.

Sultana Panoramico. You could call this the Mexican version of the Greyhound Scenicruiser.

DINA Paradiso 1150. DINA imported bus bodies from Marcopolo of Brazil and put them on their own chassis. Later Marcopolo opened it's own manufacturing plant in Mexico and sold buses under their own name.

DINA Dorado. DINA bought the rights for the old Flxible Vista-Liner, a bus built in the US during the 1950's and 60's. The Avante and Dorado were the updated version of the old Flxible design. They used a similar torsion bar suspension that Eagle used, which really stood up to the harsh road conditions in Mexico, making the DINA buses extremely popular. When DINA was phased out, the bus division was sold under the MCI name.

DINA Viaggio 1000. This is a DOT legal version of the Viaggio, another rebadged Marcopolo. A shorter wheelbase version, not sold in the US, is available, the Viaggio 850.

Kassbohrer Setra S215. Kassbohrer, who built the original Eagle buses, eventually entered the US market themselves with their S215 (40') and later the S217 (45') coaches. Like most US market buses, the S series coaches were equipped with Detroit diesel engines and Allison automatic transmissions.

Setra S417. Setra's latest offering. Unlike the S215/17, the S417 that is sold in the US is specially built to US dimensions, 102" wide instead of 98" wide which is the European standard.

Neoplan Cityliner. Some of the first imported Neoplan buses were equipped with air-cooled Deutz V8 diesel engines, making them unique in the US market but a PITA to service. (Imagine some old diesel mechanic in a small town drawing a blank when he saw the name "Deutz".) Eventually, US market Neoplan buses were equipped with the typical Detroit Diesel 2 strokes.

Modified by RatRedux at 6:14 PM 3-11-2007

Modified by RatRedux at 6:19 PM 3-11-2007

21 - 40 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.