VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's inline for the fuse for the fuel pump to blow? I'm blowin' 30amp fuses too(I was stuck out on the road and had to replace the 15 with a 30 amp fuse). Doesn't happen all the time, it's sporatic. My uncle says he doesn't believe in coincidences and I have been messin' with the wiring from the throttle switch to the ECU. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Re: I'Why do I keep blowing the fuse for my fuel pump?!?! (JBRONCFAN)

As your fuel pump argues with the grim-reaper about whether it's time has come or not, the fuel pump needs more current in order to fortify itself to both keep up the arguement AND pump fuel.

You, my friend, need a new fuel pump!
fat biker

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Re: I'Why do I keep blowing the fuse for my fuel pump?!?! (16v po boy)

Fuel pump sounds likely to me too, but remember you have two fuel pumps.....I'd say do the transfer(in-tank) pump first; it's less expensive and easier to do IMO. Make sure you avoid VDO pumps; the OE ones by them last about half as long as a Pierburg, for example. (insert shameless plug here) http://www.germanautoparts.com - Pierburg pump w/filter screen, $57.00. Add three mini clamps, @ about $.60 each, and you're good to go.

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

Disconnect the wires at the fuel pump and see if it still blows fuses. if it doesn't you've narrowed it down.
Then test the load on the pump using a battery direct to the pump with an inline fuse (start with a low amp fuse when one doesn't blow that's the current it draws).

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: I'Why do I keep blowing the fuse for my fuel pump?!?! (16v po boy)

Considering the high mileage on my car and the fact that I replaced my intank transfer pump six months ago, maybe it is fuel pump time. How about this, my car dogs out hard pulling out in first, pretty much anytime I really step on the gas, it wants to bog and die. Would that also indicate a bad fuel pump?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: I'Why do I keep blowing the fuse for my fuel pump?!?! (maximus_manx)

I was leaning toward a clogged cat as the culprit to my problems before I started blowing fuel pump fuses. Just to double check, is it most likely my fuel pump on it's way out compared to it being my cat? Won't start on it's own, I have to stay on the gas, idle is all over from dying out to 3,500+ rpms. Would a cat cause any of this to happen?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: I'Why do I keep blowing the fuse for my fuel pump?!?! (Tbird Pimpistik)

I would assume you mean to buy a resetting fuse until I replace my fuel pump? Still would like a second opinion on my fuel pump delema. Pump or cat?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts

There shouldn't be any dilemma. Test the fuel pump. Replace it if it fails. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

If you're determined to throw money at the problem instead of thinking your way through it, start with a VR6 or 1.8T swap, as it's the most expensive. replace the cat before the fuel pump, for the same reason

You've been here long enough you don't need to be told again to get and read Bentley.

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I would assume you mean to buy a resetting fuse until I replace my fuel pump? Still would like a second opinion on my fuel pump delema. Pump or cat?[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: I'Why do I keep blowing the fuse for my fuel pump?!?! (negativl)

Would a clogged cat make a car outright stall? I wouldn't think so, that's why I'm thinking fuel pump, especially with the fuses blowing.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts

actually if it were your cat, or anything in the exhaust, you likely couldn't get the car started.
The fuse blows because of too much current being drawn across it. If it dies suddenly while driving, that means the pump had to suddenly work really hard, or the wiring shorted. Get a fuel pressure gauge, hook it up, put in a fresh fuel pump fuse, and then bypass the fuel pump relay. The pressure should come up and stay there. The system will keep pumping like that and just circulate the fuel around. watch the pressure for variations. Let it buzz for a while and see if the fuse blows just sitting there like that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts