VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking for some second opinions on repairing or replacing my center screen. I have a 2005 Phaeton V8 (NAR) that has run into some trouble with the center screen/ZAB/J523. Like others on the forum, my screen is stuck black or cuts to static and the unit continues to restart endlessly (even when the car is off). This means the battery is being continuously drained and I am unable to adjust any vehicle settings. The left/primary battery was replaced less than a month ago. I've spent a few hours reading related threads on the forum but I am still not 100% sure what my best course of action is.

It seems a good chunk of people decided to replace their unit with a used one but I have already done this once. In my case, the replacement unit only lasted about a year before it started looping like the old one so I'm not sure I want to try my luck on another used unit. I still have the original unit set aside and I have been thinking about sending it off for repairs but could not find many recent threads that confirmed a board repair was successful/lasted.

Can anyone who sent their unit off for repairs comment on how the repair has held up? Is your radio/screen still working? Most of the eBay units I've seen are around $500-600 so its about the same as the repair cost.

Here are the few businesses advertising repair service. I would like to avoid international shipping but it seems sending it to Germany for $400 + shipping might be best.

VCDS Scan does not show anything related to ZAB:

Code:
Address 07: Control Head Labels: None

Controller: 3D0 035 008 M

Component: ZAB COCKPIT 0188

Coding: 0500305

Shop #: WSC 01065

VCID: 243B095BA7C3

No Faults Found

or DTCs not supported by controller

or a communication error ocurred
Any input/comments appreciated! Thanks!

Related threads:

-Kameron

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi all,

I am looking for some second opinions on repairing or replacing my center screen. I have a 2005 Phaeton V8 (NAR) that has run into some trouble with the center screen/ZAB/J523. Like others on the forum, my screen is stuck black or cuts to static and the unit continues to restart endlessly (even when the car is off). This means the battery is being continuously drained and I am unable to adjust any vehicle settings. The left/primary battery was replaced less than a month ago. I've spent a few hours reading related threads on the forum but I am still not 100% sure what my best course of action is.

It seems a good chunk of people decided to replace their unit with a used one but I have already done this once. In my case, the replacement unit only lasted about a year before it started looping like the old one so I'm not sure I want to try my luck on another used unit. I still have the original unit set aside and I have been thinking about sending it off for repairs but could not find many recent threads that confirmed a board repair was successful/lasted.

Can anyone who sent their unit off for repairs comment on how the repair has held up? Is your radio/screen still working? Most of the eBay units I've seen are around $500-600 so its about the same as the repair cost.

Here are the few businesses advertising repair service. I would like to avoid international shipping but it seems sending it to Germany for $400 + shipping might be best.

VCDS Scan does not show anything related to ZAB:

Code:
Address 07: Control Head Labels: None

Controller: 3D0 035 008 M

Component: ZAB COCKPIT 0188

Coding: 0500305

Shop #: WSC 01065

VCID: 243B095BA7C3

No Faults Found

or DTCs not supported by controller

or a communication error ocurred
Any input/comments appreciated! Thanks!

Related threads:

-Kameron
Hi,
not the exact same experience as your situation.

But I have ordered and installed a modified ZAB with Android "overlay" that appears to be working (according to the VW dealer that have installed it). I have so far not had the chance to test it.
The work was done by Phaeton Zab Android and I believe he also repairs broken ZABs. There are other posts addressing the solution with Android overlays.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
not the exact same experience as your situation.

But I have ordered and installed a modified ZAB with Android "overlay" that appears to be working (according to the VW dealer that have installed it). I have so far not had the chance to test it.
The work was done by Phaeton Zab Android and I believe he also repairs broken ZABs. There are other posts addressing the solution with Android overlays.
Thanks for the reply and link. I will probably get the unit repaired and I am interested in the Android conversion. I reached out to the seller but they did not have any photos of the newer units. When you get the chance to test it, could you please share some photos of the unit/interface?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just received and installed the Android ZAB (A ZAB). Not had the opportunity to test it a lot, but main findings so far:
  • typically Android lay out and especially like other Android setups for cars
  • download any Android app you need
  • BlueT for mobile phone integration
  • full Google functionality, but need to login Google account for download off line Google maps (disappointing for those of us that require some anonymity). Can use off line Google maps from external sourced
  • file manager that allows you to make use of your (home) network, HDs, usb, cloud…
  • internal HD for files (music, videos, off line map files++)
  • usb connectivity by use of cables
  • original ZAB functionality quite easily available, including original navigation system

the slightly negative could be
  • original radio and cd not available on original ZAB (need to test more to see if this is really the case)
  • screen resolution on original ZAB is not as good as the original
  • detailed control of ac from original ZAB only (buttons etc on ac fans works)

To achieve the full ZAB functionality one need to use both the A ZAB and the original ZAB

All of the above is based on my limited testing so more use may open more possibilities

will take photos and upload..

Warning; make sure you have familiarized yourself with the MMI on the A ZAB before you start driving, it requires some handling and easy to loose yourself on the screen rather on the road while driving

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've had similar issues with my 2005 V8. I'm on my second ZAB which is non-functional now. Fortunately the car can drive even with a dead ZAB so that's what I'm doing now.

On my first ZAB I had the looping problem and I tried to software update it. I did the procedure without the car started and it shut off in the middle of my update and bricked my ZAB.

I bought a second used one off ebay and that worked for a couple of years and it's now dead. Even if I could find a NOS one it'd still be 15 years old now. I've thought of using one of the rebuild places you cited to but haven't gotten around to it yet - and not 100% sure they could fix it anyway.

I also own a Bentley. Lots of Bentley owners have replaced the ZAB unit with the Ben Hur modification or an Android modification. None of them that has done that seems to be very satisfied with it. The Bentley ZAB, for some reason, doesn't sound nearly as good as the Phaeton setup so that's one reason they wanted to try and upgrade it. When the Phaeton ZAB works, the sound is awesome IMO.

I'd suggest you stick with the original ZAB setup and find a way to get that to work.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The availability of continously updated maps as well as integration of phone maybe the trade off against the very good sound quality.
Also the possibility of a full integration of a rear view camera is of great value since most parking spaces are not designed considering the size of the P

I still have the original ZAB that works so I will try the A ZAB and see where it leads me.

The initial A ZAB did not work at first time displaying the original infotainment information. I returned it to the supplier that repaired it within a few days. Quite satisfied with the support received for this purchase.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here's a thread on the Bentley site I visit re: upgrades that have been done on their ZAB systems:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts