Ja or NEIN? BMW announces all-electric M car is coming this year

• NEIN. Real M needs to be an ICE!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bad news is, it will likely be the fugly, Bugs-Bunny-toothed, BMW i4.

An electric BMW M car is coming this year. That’s official news coming from the mouth of Markus Flasch, chairman of the board of BMW M.

There’s no official date for a reveal yet, so BMW has 11 months and some change to work with. The latest reports suggest that the car will be an M Performance version of the upcoming i4. BMW still hasn’t released a name for this vehicle, so we’re not totally clear on what it will be called yet. The M Performance gasoline-engine version of the 4 Series is the M440i. Mi4 was a British intelligence agency, and i4 M would denote a full-M model like the X4 M or X5 M. We don't expect a full-M electric car yet, but BMW is surely working toward it.

Power is rumored to come from a pair of electric motors that produce over 500 combined horsepower. The M440i hits 60 mph in just 4.3 seconds with 382 horsepower, so we suspect this electric car could be more in line with the full M4 in terms of acceleration (4.1 seconds).

In addition to the electric M Performance car, Flasch has teased that 2022 will be an exciting year of M to celebrate 50 years of existence. Yes, the BMW M division was founded in 1972. Flasch says to expect “a year full of surprises.” BMW M fanatics can begin frothing at the mouth now. The BMW M boss suggested special editions aplenty will be coming, so if that kind of thing appeals to you, you might want to wait for 2022. We suspect there could be far more coming than just special-edition cars, too.
Autoblog

·
Registered
Model 3P, AP2 S2K, 981 Boxster S
3,661 Posts
(heavy breathing)

I can finally bring back my favorite license plate to a BMW!

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,612 Posts
This is hilarious to me. Not that we needed another reminder of it, but it just goes to show NOTHING is sacred at BMW anymore.

I worked directly on the BMW brand for a year here in Canada and we had a few big meetings where guys from Germany would come over and explain why different line-ups were branded the way they were.

The M-Division guys swore up and down on the mother's graves that they would NEVER, EVER, EVER produce an electric M-Car. They said it went against all that M stood for. That that's what the I division was for. This was straight from Germany. They said, they don't care what Porsche or Mercedes or Audi does with their performance divisions, M WILL NEVER BE ELECTRIC.

Oh well. BMW stands for not much these days.

·
Registered
E39 M5, E46 325i Touring, F30 328dX Touring
3,860 Posts
This is hilarious to me. Not that we needed another reminder of it, but it just goes to show NOTHING is sacred at BMW anymore.

I worked directly on the BMW brand for a year here in Canada and we had a few big meetings where guys from Germany would come over and explain why different line-ups were branded the way they were.

The M-Division guys swore up and down on the mother's graves that they would NEVER, EVER, EVER produce an electric M-Car. They said it went against all that M stood for. That that's what the I division was for. This was straight from Germany. They said, they don't care what Porsche or Mercedes or Audi does with their performance divisions, M WILL NEVER BE ELECTRIC.

Oh well. BMW stands for not much these days.
What if it's just one M car that's electric and the rest are gas? Doesn't hurt to have some variety.

·
Registered
623 Posts
When the Tesla Model S Plaid will be doing the 1/4mile around 8.9 seconds and the M5 Competition is around 10.9 seconds, then yes, they need a full EV.

·
Premium Member
6,242 Posts
After having driven the Taycan, I welcome all electric vehicles with an intent to deliver a good driving experience for the purpose of daily driving. So long as they still offer a real car along side it.

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,612 Posts

·
Registered
44,728 Posts
When the Tesla Model S Plaid will be doing the 1/4mile around 8.9 seconds and the M5 Competition is around 10.9 seconds, then yes, they need a full EV.
That's what M cars have always been about, drag racing!

·
Banned
786 Posts
😂.. anyone else use this emoji for when they are both laughing and crying?

·
Premium Member
12,633 Posts
As long as it looks good, hell even decent, I'm all for it. I'm hoping for a BMW version of the Model 3 or Y Perf (with about 15-20% less range). But I don't see their EV tech as being quite there yet, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic. But please don't make it ugly.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:ROFLMAO:

As long as it looks good, hell even decent, I'm all for it. I'm hoping for a BMW version of the Model 3 or Y Perf (with about 15-20% less range). But I don't see their EV tech as being quite there yet, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic. But please don't make it ugly.
Just wait until iXM comes out. :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts