VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please post :::Jack Stand locations with pics

Hey guys i used search & all the links for jack stands the pics are all red X's. Can some please post some pics of jack stand locations under a gti.
Thanks

Modified by vwboy308 at 6:02 PM 7-13-2003

· Registered
665 Posts
why don't you just put them where the factor recommends. the side of the car, you will see little dents, they are actually arrows pointing down (roughly 5" from front wheel, 8" from back wheel)... I would just put a piece of metal or something in there to make sure the jack stands rest on the body that is sticking down and not the underbody around it.

· Registered
75 Posts
Re: please post :::Jack Stand locations with pics (vwboy308)

Figured maybe if I attached pics, perhaps someone could tell me where to jack the car with a floor jack to rotate tires. My goal is to be able to lift both front and rear wheels off ground to perform tire rotation on same side w/o using spare. Have included pics of both the front/side and the rear/side including underneath. Even more importantly, where should jack stands be placed? Thanks in advance.
1.) Here are pics of the front side and beneath the front - where should jacks and jack stands be placed when lifting the car?

2.) Next I've included pics of the rear side and beneath rear - where is it safe it lift and finally where should jack stands be placed?

Modified by Miles267 at 10:37 PM 7-13-2003

· Registered
2,657 Posts
Re: Jack Stand locations with pics (PA_Jetta1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by PA_Jetta1.8T »

Like I have said before, this won't work on a lowered car.
Here's my car

SO.....Buy the Jack pads they only $20
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...age=1

http://www.impexfap.com/partli...79345
After getting those place the stands on the rails. I have never had a problem doing it this way

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: please post :::Jack Stand locations with pics (vwboy308)

just go to the deale rwith these part numbers 8N0-804-583, 8N0-803-855 get 4 of each and there your set. follow the instructions on the link and youll be fine. its cheaper throught the dealer casue of s/h from the site.

· Registered
10,932 Posts
Re: please post :::Jack Stand locations with pics (Bruce Almighty)

when you jack on the rail as in the last picture, DONT hold the car on that rail for too long, only jacking. Mine has collapsed in alittle.
Also yes if your lowered you cant jack in the middle rails up front. Try getting 2 wooden platforms (6"x6"x2-3" whatever)... and put your car onto the wooden blocks then jack up.

· Registered
75 Posts
Re: Jack Stand locations with pics (Dub Nerd)

If I jack the front using the lift pad, is there a better location for the jack stand instead of the thin rail? Judging by the shape of my jack stand cradles, they would cause my rail to bend for certain.
Secondly, if you lift the car at a front lift point and place a jack stand in the appropriate location, is it still necessary to lift the rear and place a second jack stand in order to lift the entire side of car for same-side tire rotation?

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Re: Jack Stand locations with pics (Miles267)

someone needs to clear this whole confusion up. i think there are 3 diffrent opinions about lifing the front and really none about the rear expect jack pads.
so will someone take 10 minutes to take pictures of the Front and Rear points to place jack stands and a floor jack? other than the rails. to me the rails are scetchy. i bent my MKIII Jetta's Rails all the H3LL.

· Registered
2,657 Posts
Re: Jack Stand locations with pics (Imola Yellow GTi)

Quote, originally posted by Imola Yellow GTi »
now someone show me pics of how they lift the rear from the rear lift pad position and also place the jack stand at the indicated spot on the rail

I feel your frustration, I don't like lifting and jacking my car like I showed above, but that is the only way I have found with out screwing up your undercarriage.
This has to be the number 1 why I hate my car. Every other car I owned you could just throw a jack under it and jack stands anywhere.
The problem is noone here wants to give a Detailed explanation, preferably with pics on the best way to lift and support the car. It would be nice if someone could do that, because I know my method won't last forever

· Registered
2,657 Posts
Re: Jack Stand locations with pics (Miles267)

Quote, originally posted by Miles267 »
That sounded like an invitation for someone to finally create a detailed explanation with pictures to me

Yes it would be.....you always see someone's DIY and the car is on jack stands, but when ever I email or IM them they never respond.
Sooooo anyone.....it took me 2 minutes to get the pictures above.....show us....Free Beer

edit: check for my new post in a minute to see what I did this morning

Modified by Dub Nerd at 7:24 PM 7-15-2003

· Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Jack Stand locations with pics (Dub Nerd)

Quote, originally posted by Dub Nerd »

The problem is noone here wants to give a Detailed explanation, preferably with pics on the best way to lift and support the car. It would be nice if someone could do that, because I know my method won't last forever

Welcome to the MK IV forums happens alot in here. alot of people reply is SEARCH .

· Registered
2,657 Posts
Re: Jack Stand locations with pics (vwboy308)

Quote, originally posted by vwboy308 »

Welcome to the MK IV forums happens alot in here. alot of people reply is SEARCH .

Well I've been here for 3 years now (New name)and way back, people were more than happy to write something up like that.
Maybe it's because it was a Mk3. I've noticed the Mk4 forums are harsh, but I thought I'd try

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.