VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this has been an ongoing search for me,
but i'd liek to get it over with:
if i want to put the whole car on 4 jackstands, where do i put the jackstands and where do i jack the car up from?
the fronts i can get, but the rear i cant figure out where to put jackstands under.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Re: FV-QR (dubsker)

All the info you seek, can be found in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FV-QR

brb, while i run out to grab mine.
ive looked in there a few times before, couldnt find it.
edit: mine says where to lift, and thats the same place as the spare tire jack, at the arrows, but does not specify a place for jackstands.

Modified by dubsker at 12:26 AM 10-8-2008

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FV-QR

oh yeah, btw is anyone's rubber undercoating coming off where the jack points are?
just read the manual and it says use a rubber pad, which my jack has, but the rubber is still coming off.
is this bad?

·
You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can
9,486 Posts
Re: jack stand locations (dubsker)

If your car has sideskirts, there are arrows at the bottom of the pieces that show the jack points at each corner of the car. Your manual is great a resource for this type of information.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Re: FV-QR (dubsker)

Quote, originally posted by dubsker »
ive been putting my frotn jack stands on the control arm mounts, those giant chunks of aluminum.
i just want to know the best place.

It is. The rear is the place that seems to be giving the most people hesitation about where to put the stands and how to jack it up to put in the stands
Thats a sexy picture too Twelvism! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
Re: jack stand locations (MN6845)

Quote, originally posted by MN6845 »
If your car has sideskirts, there are arrows at the bottom of the pieces that show the jack points at each corner of the car. Your manual is great a resource for this type of information.

Those arrows are there even if you don't have side skirts.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Re: jack stand locations (silverA4quattro)

i usually jack the car up using the jack points indicated by the arrows, and then put my jacks on the A-Arm mounting points closest for the front jacking point, and in the rear, i again use the jacking point indicated by the arrows, and point my jack stand to the right of the jack where there is what looks like a ball mounted on the frame with two large bolt heads beside it. i haven't been under neith the car lately, but i believe it is the mounting point for the rear cross beam, but i could be wrong.
also, take caution is jacking a car up one corner at a time, the jack stands already put up act as a pivot, and when you jack up another side, the car may slide off of the jack stand.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Re: jack stand locations (zoidmk5)

Quote, originally posted by zoidmk5 »

also, take caution is jacking a car up one corner at a time, the jack stands already put up act as a pivot, and when you jack up another side, the car may slide off of the jack stand.

our cars are pretty rigid. i'm not saying i recommend it, but i removed 1 of 4 jackstands on the drivers rear side. i had to reposition to get the front stand out, and the rear of the car stayed in the air and didnt pivot or sag at all. i was very surprised!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Re: jack stand locations (shortydub)

It would have been very nice if we could have had some central jack points on both front and rear. I've previously owned Hondas, they all had this, and it certainly made getting the car up on 4 jackstands much easier.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I lift the entire car from the front jack points. I have found I can safely position my jack so that it contacts the stock jack location (vertical metal reinforced jack plate) and not the plastic parts (see third pic for detail). Lifting from the front jack point, both front and back wheels come off the ground. Jack up one side and place front and rear stands, duplicate on other side.

This permits placing the rear jack stand on the marked rear jack point,

I place the front jack stand under the alloy cap securing a suspension mounting point.

This seems pretty solid. I guess you could jack from the suspension point and put the stands at the front jack points too, haven't tried that yet.

I actually try and sort of push the car off the jack stands before I crawl under it, and the front stands can "settle".
the three places I have supported the car, so far nothing has bent.
floor jack pic taken under full weight of car, before placing the jack stands.

Front jack stand under load

Rear jack stand under load

Reactions: VW0127
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.