VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 Cabriolet that needs some work. I found the jack points to jack the car up. I thought I would ask where the best place to put the jack stands to make sure I don't mess anything up. I can smell gas when I fill the car up and I need to determine if its the tank or fuel lines.

Thanks for any advice on this.

·
Registered
21,861 Posts
The pinch welds on the bottom of the car on the rocker panels.
The axle frame itself but if you are doing the TANK you have to use the Pinch Welds.

Rear Axle Beam

Front Control Arm Mounting Bracket.

The above shows the jack stand on the control arm rear mount, but the Jack is on the pinch weld.

You can get the car high in the air, and I have had mine up in the air on four stands.

When looking at the tank, look around the seams for wetness. If it is when the tank is more than half full then the seams need looking at.

If it is when the pump are running then the fuel lines are suspect, and that your car is 30 years old you may thing about replacing them, as most of your have union and banjo bolt connections they are some what pricey.

You also have the vent lines that run up the fill tube, and the return lines from the front.

You need to remove your seat and take the inspection /sender cover off and look at those connections as well.
in the FAQ's page 3 thread 75 I go about showing you how I do an in-tank pump.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pinch welds on the bottom of the car on the rocker panels.
The axle frame itself but if you are doing the TANK you have to use the Pinch Welds.

Rear Axle Beam

Front Control Arm Mounting Bracket.

The above shows the jack stand on the control arm rear mount, but the Jack is on the pinch weld.

You can get the car high in the air, and I have had mine up in the air on four stands.

When looking at the tank, look around the seams for wetness. If it is when the tank is more than half full then the seams need looking at.

If it is when the pump are running then the fuel lines are suspect, and that your car is 30 years old you may thing about replacing them, as most of your have union and banjo bolt connections they are some what pricey.

You also have the vent lines that run up the fill tube, and the return lines from the front.

You need to remove your seat and take the inspection /sender cover off and look at those connections as well.
in the FAQ's page 3 thread 75 I go about showing you how I do an in-tank pump.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had the same issue locating secure points under the car so I just use the jack points themselves.

I use a short (about 2 foot) length of 90* angle iron and position that at the center of the pinch weld.

(Use common sense and find angle iron that's not so big it damages paint or body panels)

I place the jack under the angle iron and crank it up by hand until the jack meets the "v" of the angle iron.

This way the angle iron supports and protects the pinch weld from being crushed.

Then, I jack up the whole side of the car in one shot leaving both 'true' jack points exposed.

I can then position the jack stands under the jack points, lower the jack, and then carry everything over to the other side and repeat.

Keep in mind, I have the jack stands set low at first and then I readjust if necessary after the whole car is in the air.

I don't know if this information helps anyone. Someone please correct me if I'm crazy for doing it this way.

..but so far I've had absolutely no problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts