VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my brother is a couple years younger then me, good kid but not that quick, he wanted to give me a hand when i was shaving my emblems the other day...so him being the middle child that he is goes in there and starts scratching the **** out of the glue and the surrounding paint......long story short it now looks like a crack addict tried to scratch through my hatch door under where the 1.8T emblem was, i was wondering what products i could try to use to help hide/remove these blemishes.....the car is black if that helps any....thanks for any help, its greatly appreciated

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
Re: Jackass siblings..... (Sealab2k21)

Quote, originally posted by Sealab2k21 »
the car is black if that helps any

...that never helps any! LOL
Anyhow, there are different methods of attack to address this probelm and the severity of the cure depends on the severity of the scratches. Small surface imperfections such as swirls and minor scratches in the clear coat can be removed with light polishing compounds such as meguiars or 3M swirl mark remover. Deeper scratches will most likely require a high speed polisher with several grades of polishing compound to level the surface and bring back the gloss of the paint.
HTH

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, the scratches aren't too deep but ive tried a couple swirlk/scratch removers and then waxed the car, from a distance it almost looks smudged but when you get close you can somewhat notice them, ill try and get some pics up

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (Sealab2k21)

Finally got some pics up, kinda hard to see because the black is so shiny but i think you'll get the idea

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far ive tried some Turtlewax Colorcure, its supposed to be for swirls and light scratches, and some 3M swirl remover, then i waxed the car, ive been pretty busy working recently so i haven't gotten to go back at it, but ill try picking up that Meguire's scratch x and see if that helps any, thanks

·
Registered
13,778 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Sealab2k21 »
So far ive tried some Turtlewax Colorcure, its supposed to be for swirls and light scratches, and some 3M swirl remover, then i waxed the car, ive been pretty busy working recently so i haven't gotten to go back at it, but ill try picking up that Meguire's scratch x and see if that helps any, thanks

From the looks of those pics, those scratches are quite severe. You may need a fairly aggressive polish to level the clear coat. Unfortunately, aggressive polishes will dull the surface, as such you will need to step the polishing out from coarse to fine in order to level the surface and bring back the gloss.
Meguiars scratch-x is primarily a scratch filler... it may hide some of that, but I doubt it'll hide it all.
You may want to take it to a professional detailer, they're quite good with high speed polishers.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Preppy)

Quote, originally posted by Preppy »

You may want to take it to a professional detailer, they're quite good with high speed polishers.

thanks, thats kind of what i had a feeling i was going to have to do, ill probably take it to this place that my father uses every now and then in a couple weeks and let them have a go at it

·
Registered
1,725 Posts

If you cannot catch the scratches with your fingernail, try some meguiars DACP(dual action cleaner polish).Work it in for a good bit so it has a chance to break down(becomes more like a fine polish the longer its worked). If that doesnt work, maybe a pro has to step in.But be careful when you take a black car to a detailer...even ones you trust. A high speed polisher can make some nasty swirls... Before i really knew much about taking care of black cars (and getting one myself) we took my brother's black GTI to a reputable place...looked real good, until we washed it a few times...They used a filler wax to hide the nast swirls they put in the paint...
good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today i went back at it with a few different grades of polish, starting from a medium/fine to very fine, its probably about 75% better and can't really be noticed unless your within 1-2 feet of the trunkl.... its probably one of those things that most people wouldn't notice but i see it everytime i walk by the car...thanks for all the advice and i think i'm fairly happy with how it came out so im probably going to hold off on taking it anyplace to get detailed

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: Jackass siblings..... (Sealab2k21)

Im lookin to shave my VR6 and Jetta decal off today....Was wondering wat you used to get the emblem of....and after you were successful besides ur bros scrathes....
.....wat did you use to get that glue type stuff off??thanx guys.....bump....

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
Re: Jackass siblings..... (MkIII Vr6)

Quote, originally posted by MkIII Vr6 »
Im lookin to shave my VR6 and Jetta decal off today....Was wondering wat you used to get the emblem of....and after you were successful besides ur bros scrathes....
.....wat did you use to get that glue type stuff off??thanx guys.....bump....

Blow dryer, dental floss and goo gone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts