VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to check out the new XF they had at Bellevue Jaguar in WA. I wormed myself into a quick test-drive, and put my father's name down for one as well. Both of us with our fingers crossed for Jag, and him being the owner of many previous models.
First off, the styling:
In the flesh, I REALLY like this car. despite the rather bland theme, its a very nice, sedate yet voluptious shape. The sides are heavily contoured, the rockers tuck under the car very neatly. The top profile of the rear deck is very nice and rounded. and gives the car a more aggressive stance that others in the segment. But me and my father agree, this car is a totally wrong. As he put it "That car is nothing. I dont love it, I dont hate it... It doesnt specifically remind me of any one car, but it doesnt have anything to offer stylistically over the competition" He went on to say that if he was in the market for a new car in that price range... The Jag dealer would be his last stop. This comming from a LONG TIME Jag fan and loyal customer. He actually said, that he would PREFER the latest S-type over the XF.
Not because he thinks its a better looking car, so much as, its unique, and Jaguar. Prospective buyer test? Fail.
End exterior styling rant...

The interior is perfect. Jag interiors have annoyed me since they departed from the horizontal, linear layout of the older XJ's and went for the more rounded, broken up shapes of the recent cars. I love the interior. Materials are top notch. You dont feel like youre in a space ship as with some modern cars, but its still very modern looking. The ambient light is a nice touch... although I think I would prefer it if it werent that cliche tech-y aquamarine... Im pretty sure that colour would get old...
As for the drive... It felt like pretty much any modern mid-dize saloon. I wasnt exactly thrashing on it, so I cant tell you much other than the trasmission seemed VERY nice for an auto, and the ride felt smooh. I wasnt much interested in the drive of the car, since it wanst the SV8... I was more interested in what it felt like to drive it. I will say however... the view down the hood is quite nice.
Overall impression?
I hope this thing can keep Jaguar alive long enough that they can pull their pants back up and throw something really really cool at us... Because this isnt it.
I do like the car... Just.. Not quite as much as I wish I did... And my father's reacion nearly broke my heart... I hope others decide to throw ther money into the Jag charity

Detail here... Look at the shape difference between the window opening in the sheetmetal, the on in the trim, and then the actual viewable hole.

Modified by SebringMGB at 9:36 AM 3-19-2008

· Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (SkilledDriver)

Quote, originally posted by SkilledDriver »
The rear 1/4 / C pillar area looks as if it was lifted right off of the Lexus LS460.
Those wheels are wrong for that car as well.
Any interior shots?

No interior shots... I put the camera back in the car when I drove it... but I wasnt surprised by the interior at all.. the promo shots did a good job of explaining that. Although I wish I had taken a video of the startup sequence in there... because its sure to get you laid

I should also mention, I like the gear selector knob a lot. Not just for its gimmickry, which is cool... but its a neat solution to typical gear selectors which are always needlessly large and in the way for the sake of framiliarity. The dial is not confusing at all... I would even go as far to say that its almost the ideal gear selector for an automatic.

· Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
25,337 Posts
Re: (SebringMGB)

Growing up, my father's "going out to dinner" car was a black/black Series III xj6, so I have a soft spot for black Jags. Unfortunately, i'll have to agree with the op on this one, the design has been made so safe in order to appeal to everybody, that it turns into just another me-too.

Modified by chucchinchilla at 9:59 AM 3-19-2008

· Banned
2,718 Posts
Re: (seminole_kev)

I agree with the OP. Except one thing i noticed was some cheap feeling buttons around the shift knob and on the steering wheel.
Also, the touch sensitive map lights never worked on the first try. Annoying. I love how Jag gives you leather care instructions and a leather care kit with the car though. Somehow that came across very right for the Jaguar brand. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
663 Posts
Re: Jaguar XF test-drive, and prospective buyer test. (SebringMGB)

It isn't the homerun that the concept was (front end), but it's still a very handsome sedan. The rear end looks especially nice.
Hopefully this car sells well.

· Registered
9,525 Posts
Re: (JunkStory)

Current lease rates in case you want to mess with numbers.
SC'd residuals are fairly good. The buy rates are the usual inflated deal for the first X amount of months to cash in on the initial buyers.
You could probably get better numbers going independent.
2009 Jaguar XF Luxury Sedan – 3/13/08
24 Month – Residual 62% of MSRP – .00316 Base Rate
36 Month – Residual 52% of MSRP – .00337 Base Rate
48 Month – Residual 42% of MSRP – .00376 Base Rate
2009 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury Sedan – 3/13/08
24 Month – Residual 59% of MSRP – .00317 Base Rate
36 Month – Residual 50% of MSRP – .00338 Base Rate
48 Month – Residual 40% of MSRP – .00376 Base Rate
2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged Sedan – 3/13/08
24 Month – Residual 66% of MSRP – .00318 Base Rate
36 Month – Residual 56% of MSRP – .00339 Base Rate
48 Month – Residual 44% of MSRP – .00377 Base Rate
Residuals posted are for 15K miles/year. Add 2% to Residual for 12k mi/yr and 3% for 10k mi/yr on all terms

· Registered
14,202 Posts
Re: (JunkStory)

I'm not sure why anyone is suprised. The S-type got thrashed for looking to retro-Jag and the XJ didn't looked too much like a "just another Jag". Naturally they're going to come out with something that just doesn't look "Jag" enough for you. The old Jags are gone, the end.
I want some driving impressions.

· Registered
5,641 Posts
Love Jags, always have, probably always will.
I read a review about this car, and honestly I havn't found a negative review yet. But one thing I read has got me excited. A reviewer called it a 4 door XK, that to me sounds like one hell of a compliment, this coupled with Jag's amazingly awful resale rate, means I'm even more excited.

· Registered
9,719 Posts
Re: (BMW_330Ci_Kid)

Quote, originally posted by BMW_330Ci_Kid »
I love how Jag gives you leather care instructions and a leather care kit with the car though. Somehow that came across very right for the Jaguar brand. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

are they in spanish as well?
or as a jaguar owner, are you just expected to have bi-lingual help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.