VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't remember who had one but I remember someone here had an XJR for a while - I have an opportunity to purchase one and am sorely tempted. Any words to the wise? Warnings, caveats, etc?

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Re: Jaguar XJR (mgyip)

Brian did.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Re: Jaguar XJR (Geordie)

They are real fast, but unless u can get a smoking deal it's not worth the money. Some were also 6-cyl which i wouldnt get.
I work at a dealer too, and ive driven every jag made in the past few years. XJR's are third on the list of jags id own behind #1 StypeR #2XKR. All of which are over priced and not even close to their competion from Germany

·
Registered
128 Posts

I'v never seen an XJR in a 6 cylinder,maybe the XJ6.But I've only seenXJR's in the supper-charged 8's. I know @ one point they used to be the fastest production, automatic sedans in the world. Then Jaguar came out with the StypeR, and beat it's own. I used to work @ a Volvo/Jaguar auto lot & have driven alot of new & used. The thing to watch out for with Jag's; the electronics have a history of craping out. Very $$$ to repair, but great engineering everywhere else!
My bottom line.....if it were me, I'd buy http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

G

·
Re: Jaguar XJR (diet-z)

I had a '95 XJR for years--loved the car, drove it into the ground. It seems drifting is hard on Jags...who knew?

'95-97s are 4.0-L supercharged inline sixes; '98s through '03s use the 4.0-L supercharged AJV8s, while the '04s on use a 4.2-L version of the same engine. The inline six is hooked up to a GM four-speed automatic, while the 4.0-L V8 use a five-speed auto. New cars have a six-speed.
The six has 322 hp and 378 lb-ft of torque; the smaller V8 has 377 hp and 387 lb-ft, and the larger V8 has 400 hp and 399 lb-ft. All are very fast--not blisteringly fast, but fast in a proper, civilized British manner. If you want a brute, buy an M5. Want an iron fist in a velvet glove, a supercar with Clark Kent sensibilities? Then this is the car for you.
Are these cars expensive? Relative to the competition such as the E55 and M5, they're actually fairly cheap. Notice I said relative. You'll eat tires for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the GM four-speed auto is also a weak point IMO. The six-cylinder is a guzzler; amazingly, the V8 gets better mileage. All three engines are fairly bulletproof, however. Other parts are less so, but the newer the car, the more reliable it gets.
Ultimately, this car is not for everyone, and certainly not for the a lot of the armchair critics you'll find in the CL. But if you can find a good one that's clean, then I say go for it--you'll be glad that you did.
Any details on the particular car you're looking at?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Re: Jaguar XJR (fitch)

My father said his was "a living room on steroids"

I did quite a few brake stands in it...smoked a set of P Zeros.....it was a blast!!! Good thing my father could care less....
I say get one. My father has an STS now....quick....but nothing like the handling of the Jag

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Jaguar XJR (bgluckman)

BGLUCKMAN - that's who had one - I knew it was someone but just couldn't remember whom.
I believe the model I'm looking at is a '98 - it belongs to a friend that buys and sells cars as a quasi-hobby and this one happened to catch my eye - BRG with a light (almost white) interior. The body isn't perfect but that's not a huge concern as I don't have a problem getting the car refinished. I've also had enough experience with Jaguars to know that quality isn't job 1 although their parent company, Ford, would like you to believe that slogan. Back in the late 80s, Jaguar pioneered the term "Component Replacement" which frequently meant huge repair bills that didn't actually address the problem.
I had forgotten that the early XJRs were 6-cylinders - if I make the "jump", it'll only be for a V8 model. If the 4-speed GM slush-o-matic is anything related to the Turbohydramatic 700R4 in my '90 GMC truck, I'll steer clear. Tire wear isn't a big issue for me - this car is destined to either become my long-distance car and/or my commuter - in other words, I'm not hard on tires to begin with and don't intend to beat the crap out of this car since I already have a few "play" cars.
I'm well aware that this isn't the car for everyone which is why it appeals to me. The car that I'm upgrading from is an E28 M5 which isn't exactly a car for the masses either. I'm getting old (at least I feel old) and I don't mind driving cushy sedans with automatic transmissions like I did a few years ago. I'll certainly give the XJR a thorough review - now if I could only sell my M5...

G

·

A couple of things...
If this is a '98, it's a V8 with the five-speed auto (which, IIRC, is NOT a GM unit). It should also be very reliable--'98 was the year Jaguar beat Lexus in JD Power IQS, and Jaguar XJs and XKs from '98 on are rock-solid cars (unlike early S- and X-Types).
Since the body's not perfect, do check for frame damage. If this car was in an accident, I guarentee you it was fixed, regardless of the amount of damage. I've seen these cars fixed with upwards of $30K of damage, simply because replacement costs might be close to $55K.
For the record, this car isn't cushy at all--it's hard-riding, just not jarringly so. It's a definite sports sedan. To save on tires, I'd recommend switching from the OEM Pirelli P-Zeros to Bridgestone Potenzas--it's a much better match for the car, being as it rides better, has significantly better wet weather performance, and lasts longer. They're also cheaper to buy, too.
If you have any other questions, by all means, please let me know, and I'll do my best to answer.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mgyip »
BRG with a light (almost white) interior.

Mmmmmm BRG Jaguars... I'd buy it even if it didn't run to park on my lawn and look at all day. Maybe I'd sit in the driver's seat making "vrrm vrrrm" noises too.

-Andrew

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Jaguar XJR (bgluckman)

The body isn't perfect but it's more of a small scrape on the RR door, a few door dings and scrapes on the edges of the bumpers - I'll get the car in the air before I purchase it regardless.
Even in sporting configuration, the XJR can't be that punishing. My M5 has Dinan springs damped by Bilstein sports and it rides stiffer than the '99 Corvette hardtop that I've been "pimping" this week (No, I don't have a chest-hair wig, I'm just doing some maintenance for a buddy).
As for tires, I have a good source in Radial Tire Co in Silver Spring so I'm hoping that he'll have better tire choices as well. The car will arrive with new P-Zeros and I figure I'll run'em until they're bald then replace'em with something better. OE tires aren't always the best at anything - usually they're designed to be everything to everybody which means that they're a compromise tire.
I'll know more as I get closer to doing the "deed". Right now I need to sell my M5 but the seller is willing to hold the car.

G

·

Quote, originally posted by mgyip »
As for tires, I have a good source in Radial Tire Co in Silver Spring so I'm hoping that he'll have better tire choices as well.

Radial Tire rocks! They just put my new Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s on the Volvo last week. The best part was that with the SCCA discount they gave me, I saved $21 per tire!

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Jaguar XJR (depireux)

Quote, originally posted by depireux »

Yet another fine example to prove the theory that you can buy an expensive car but you can't buy driving ability.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts