VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I would finally post a build thread here to document some of the work I am doing on my car. I'll try to keep it as updated as possible.

First, some history. This is my first car. I bought it with some minor front end damage back in 2008 when I was 15. It is a 1991 Corrado G60 which was originally sold in Japan so it is built to European specifications. It has no sunroof, no cruise control, and a plaid cloth interior. When I bought it it had 87,000 kms but it now has just over 100,000.

When I first got it my main priority was to repair the front end and get it driving- to do this I bought a second Corrado. I'll try to show the development of the car, mostly with pictures....

Here is the damage/ the car when I bought it

After repairs:

I then smoked the taillights and went with a blacked out theme:

Had the supercharger sent out to Kompressor Kanada (RIP) who rebuilt it and ported it to "stage 4"

At this point I winter drove the car for a couple years to and from school. Here is wintermode 2009

VR grille

Built a sub box

Then I put on some cheap coilovers and painted my wheels gloss black

Wintermode 2010

Ecodes

Borbets- how the car looked the last time it was on the road.

In fall of 2012 I decided it was time to tear down the vehicle and take the first step towards making it awd. I had been gathering parts for sometime and was ready to swap in the 02m 6 speed transmission.

Parts:

After getting it to this point I had to take an eight month break since I moved to Edmonton for school.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Looks like it has come a long way and thankfully for the better so far. For your front-to-rear drive shaft I take it you are just shortening the last section? What are you planning on doing for a fuel tank on this car? Good work though, keep it up.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like it has come a long way and thankfully for the better so far. For your front-to-rear drive shaft I take it you are just shortening the last section? What are you planning on doing for a fuel tank on this car? Good work though, keep it up.
Thanks. Right now I am just focusing on shortening the front drive shafts to run in fwd mode. For the fuel tank I am going to do a fuel cell using the factory fill location.

Rolled it out today and re positioned - being in the drivers seat to turn it around has made me antsy to drive it again.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Measured for the 02m driveshafts. I removed the outer cv and used wooden dowels for an accurate measurement. I measured from the end of the hub to the bell housing face.

The drivers side (short) is 41.1cm based on my measurements which is different from the 41.36 I have seen, OEM TT is 43.2 so it needs to be shortened 2.1 cm

The passenger side (long) is 51.2cm, OEM audi TT is 55.7cm, so it needs to be shortened by 4.5 cm which is .5cm different than what I have seen in other threads :sly:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I need some help with wiring....

This is the wiring that runs to the starter... I don't know how any of it works with the 02m starter

One of the plugs I labelled as "transmission" but I don't know what it does.
There is one sensor in the transmission that I have not connected yet- looks like a temperature sensor (?)

I'm going to read up in the bentley and look for some other resources....

This is where I am heading with my battery setup. I will eventually relocate it to the trunk but Im trying to stay focused on getting it running right now.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finished up some ancillary projects today...

Finally got the spoonfedtuning rear plate tub in place. It was a total bitch to fit properly because two of the studs were improperly aligned. It required me to carefully dremel out the epoxy and I ultimately used a lighter to heat it up enough that I could pry off the screw insert.

Took me several hours to move the stud, for the second one I was able to slightly elongate the hole in the hatch.

It was frustrating to me that with all my purchases from spoonfedtuning (I think I purchased the second spoiler ever made by them...) that there was not better customer service. My expectation for a part like the plate tub is that it fits- and mine was not even close to fitting without significant time invested in moving the studs. For the type of money I spent on the plate tub I feel that it should have fit without such extensive modifications....

With that being said the quality of the part is otherwise very good and it looks great. It just worries me that if I got a part like this again that did not fit and it were to be damaged while I was making it fit (correcting their error) I would be out of luck for a replacement part. Moving the stud was a delicate operation which easily could have destroyed the weave on the front and if this did happen my impression is that I would not have been refunded or had a replacement part shipped.

I also installed my OEM audi shift knob.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Exitiing project !
Car, and paint, looks really good :beer:
Thanks! The actual car paint isn't very good I plan on redoing it soon with endura polyurethane paint (an industrial coating with amazing durability)

Got my axles back all shortened.

Excited to get it all together....

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
Measured for the 02m driveshafts. I removed the outer cv and used wooden dowels for an accurate measurement. I measured from the end of the hub to the bell housing face.

The drivers side (short) is 41.1cm based on my measurements which is different from the 41.36 I have seen, OEM TT is 43.2 so it needs to be shortened 2.1 cm

The passenger side (long) is 51.2cm, OEM audi TT is 55.7cm, so it needs to be shortened by 4.5 cm which is .5cm different than what I have seen in other threads :sly:
Bellhousing face? or inside lip of inner CV cup?

regardless, 1/2 or even 1 cm will make little difference since the inner CV joint is designed to allow changing Axle length due to suspension geometry.

For the Record, my measurements (with CVs) for MkII are 41.4 and 66.3cm (but the long side is not for syncro as I don't have that one). I suspect yours is right on based on how you measured.

S

1 - 20 of 138 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.