VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing some research, it seems that the Japanese car parts cost more than the Europeans when it comes time to repair them. What has your experience been with the older cars ??
I did a research on just alternators, and this is what I found out pricewise. Honda is the most expensive one of all.

All these units are remanufactured by the way. All are for the 6 cylinder engines in the 1995 model year range. Except for the Land Rover, which is a V8.
Car brand - Alternator brand - Price
Toyota - Denso $213.68
VW - Bosch $166.61
BMW - Bosch $169.00
Lexus - Denso $249.44
Honda - Denso $323.40
Mercedes - Bosch $180.26
Mazda - Denso $234.06
Audi - Bosch $187.10
Land Rover - Bosch $209.82
Porsche - Bosch $169.87

Modified by Volkswagenut at 6:34 AM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
41,822 Posts
Re: Japanese car parts vs European car parts pricing..... (Volkswagenut)

I've never had a car whose parts cost more than my GTI VR6. Stock and aftermarket.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

depends on the part. there were a bunch of parts on our 1989 Nissan Sentra that were way more expensive to repair than on our 1979 Porsche.
obin

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (mojojojo.ca)

Quote, originally posted by mojojojo.ca »
You want to base an entire poll about parts based on the price of the alternator?

I came real close to buying a Toyota product this weekend. My friends that have Japanese cars now, tell me that their repairs and maintenance costs are ridiculously high priced, and to check on that before I make an actual purchase. I wanted to see the forum's experience with repairs on both Japanese vs German machinery.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Re: (Volkswagenut)

None of my Japanese cars ever needed anything but scheduled maintenance, and you could get away with skipping that most of the time. European cars however...

·
Registered
8,656 Posts

Not sure what difference does it make, but in '95 Honda wasn't really making V6 engines in significant numbers.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Re: Japanese car parts vs European car parts pricing..... (Y2kSI)

Quote, originally posted by Y2kSI »
Not sure what difference does it make, but in '95 Honda wasn't really making V6 engines in significant numbers.

Yeah, that was my first thought as well. The 4-cyl alternator lists for the same amount however.
In my experience with Honda's, the parts are usually quite a bit more expensive than parts for the Big-3 and about on par with Euro parts. With that said however, I've never had to replace an alternator on any of the 3 Honda's we've had(all >200k mi).

·
Registered
F39 X2 M35i, e-Tron, Toyota appliance
16,722 Posts

Hey...you forgot to add Swedish auto parts. Repair bill for my SAAB would be astronomical if I didn't have an warranty. Vertually every parts for SAABs MUST come from Trollhattan, SWeden. It takes weeks and they are expensive. I'm sure parts for Land Rover and Jaguar are horrendous too, but I've never owned anything from England...
Just my two cents.
2002 BMW 325iT
2002 SAAB 9-5 Linear

·
Registered
22,855 Posts

I don't know where those prices come from.. I've never seen a VW reman Alternator go for under $300 and it cost over $500 at the stealerships..
The last alternator I had to change from my Celica GT-S 86' costed me only $180, it's a reman.

·
Banned
2,002 Posts
Now I understand. The way you phrased your question and the sole example you gave made it seem like a twisted poll. You would need to check out the prices of various parts of the 2-3 cars you intend to purchase and see how the overall cost is like.
Also, not to beat on a dead horse, but in general, Japanese cars are much more reliable then german ones. You are looking into replacement parts that will not need replacing for another 6 years...

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: Japanese car parts vs European car parts pricing..... (kar_nut)

Quote, originally posted by kar_nut »

With that said however, I've never had to replace an alternator on any of the 3 Honda's we've had(all >200k mi).

That's the problem you run into when people project their personal experiences onto a larger scale - i.e. crediting or discrediting a brand's reputation based on a single car's reliability.
For instance, my wife used to own a 1991 Honda Civic that is now owned by her brother. The car was purchased used, with approximately 100k miles on it. Between the two of them, they've racked up maybe 80k miles on it. In those 80k miles, the alternator has failed 3 times. The first time it was replaced with a new unit, which failed, and has been replaced twice with rebuilt units.
-Nate

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Its interesting that all you East Coast people pay more for Japanese parts than Euro. Over here it is the complete opposite. German parts are outragiously expensive compared to Japanese parts. Of course, the Japanese cars rarely needs parts anyway...

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (nuxx)

Quote, originally posted by nuxx »
Of course, the Japanese cars rarely needs parts anyway...

I would have to say a clutch will wear out on all manual trannies, no matter what brand of car you have, I also have been told that Hondas are the most expensive to have worked on, of all the Japanese brands. Toyota for example, has a better, simpler, easier to get to engine compartment. I am not talking about the cars with the less problems (we would all agree that the Japanese make the most dependable vehicles), I am talking about the ones that cost more when it comes time to service/repair. I would rather not include dealership prices either, since they are a total ripoff, no matter what brand you drive.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Most expensive: Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, VW
Least expensive: Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu, Suzuki, Hyundai

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (nuxx)

Quote, originally posted by nuxx »
Most expensive: Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, VW
Least expensive: Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu, Suzuki, Hyundai

What do you base this info on? I am talking independent shop repair, and not dealership. I know of people that drive Lexus (just a Toyota) products and they get reemed with the maintenance/repairs.
We are talking about the older models here, like pre 1996....

·
Registered
401 Posts

That's some pretty lame (or biased) research. Starters, alternators, O2 sensors, etc. made by Bosch are among the most reasonably priced German auto parts. Compare other Japanese and German parts and you'll notice German auto parts will almost always be more expensive, often significantly more.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Re: (Volkswagenut)

Quote, originally posted by Volkswagenut »

What do you base this info on? I am talking independent shop repair, and not dealership. I know of people that drive Lexus (just a Toyota) products and they get reemed with the maintenance/repairs.
We are talking about the older models here, like pre 1996....

Well, then it would all depend on how much the independent shop charges for its labor. I know the VW dealer charges $100/hour, the local VW shop charges ~ $65/hour, I can't imagine the local import shop charging more than that.
I'd be willing to put money down that a '95 camry (or maxima or accord) will cost less in overall maintenance than a similar german car, regardless of the relative cost of parts.
What are you trying to prove? Some parts will be more expensive than others depending on make and manufacturer, and some mechanics will charge more or less than others. Maybe your friends who get "reamed" on their lexus are getting bent over because they don't know how much things should cost and the mechanic is screwing them over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts