VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
9-28-16
78,642 Miles

• Install 034 Motorsports Silicone Breather Hose Kit (CONTINUED)
-Urotuning really came through with their exchange process. The replacement early style hose came in 2 days and inside the box was a return shipping label for the late style hose. No extra money out of my pocket, just an easy hassle free experience. I'll do business with them again in the future.​

-Early vs. Late Style Comparison.

-The replacement Early Style Hose compared to the Stock hose. Much better.

-Fit just as it should.

-Top portion of the kit.

[HR][/HR]

• Old Ripped PCV Hoses

[HR][/HR]

*Now that those leaks are gone the car's idle is much more stable and I suspect I'll see a little better fuel mileage as well. *

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
10-28-16
79,213 Miles

Shifter Upgrades: After having the stock shifter in for a while with the solid bracket mounts and stock shifter bushings I was ready for something a little more precise. I sold my old EIP (TOO) Short Shifter to a nice guy that gave me a stock R32/TT Shifter as partial trade for the EIP. I figured now was a good time to upgrade some of the other shifter parts as well to go along with the modest throw reduction that comes with the R32/TT Shifter

-All the pieces laid out. New parts on the top, old parts on the bottom.

-Modest throw reduction of the R32/TT Shifter.

-New Lever Slide

-New parts on the Left. Old Parts on the Right.

-Parts Installed and cables adjusted per the Bentley Manual procedures.

The throw reduction with the R32/TT shifter was modest enough to still provide an accurate shift. The new upgraded bushings made for a much more precise shifting experience. Happy with the result.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Great job on this thread! I’m loving your attention to detail and look forward to future updates.

You are clearly very mechanically inclined so I was hoping I could pick your brain regarding your catch can setup. I installed the 42DD ultimate catch can earlier this year on my 2004.5 GLI and took a route that deleted a few more vacuum lines than the 034 Motorsport kit you installed. I drove the car for about 2000 miles since I’ve installed the can without any codes or apparent issues, but I have only caught and drained 20ml or so of watery oil from it. I’m starting to wonder if by removing an additional hose that 034 Motorsport makes a point to keep, I’ve allowed gravity/vacuum pressure to take over and prevent most oil vapour from making its way up into my catch can, which I’ve installed higher than my valve cover outlet.

I’ve noticed the 034 Motorsport kit keeps the small hose from the PCV valve to the nipple under the intake manifold, the one you had to exchange for the correct style. In my setup I have it completely removed, including the PCV valve, by running a single hose from the valve cover outlet down to the crankcase breather port via a billet adapter/elbow fitting and capping the nipple under the intake manifold. But now when looking at your setup, I’m second guessing the importance of that additional hose – do you or anyone on here know its purpose? Is it there to provide positive pressure coming from the intake manifold so that oil vapour can be pushed up towards the “hockey puck” valve on the turbo inlet pipe (in our case to the catch can first) so none flows back down into the crankcase?

Maybe this explains why I feel as though my catch can has not caught much yet. Any thoughts on all of this?
Here’s a picture of my engine bay so you can get a better idea of what I’m rambling about... :laugh:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Great job on this thread! I’m loving your attention to detail and look forward to future updates.

You are clearly very mechanically inclined so I was hoping I could pick your brain regarding your catch can setup. I installed the 42DD ultimate catch can earlier this year on my 2004.5 GLI and took a route that deleted a few more vacuum lines than the 034 Motorsport kit you installed. I drove the car for about 2000 miles since I’ve installed the can without any codes or apparent issues, but I have only caught and drained 20ml or so of watery oil from it. I’m starting to wonder if by removing an additional hose that 034 Motorsport makes a point to keep, I’ve allowed gravity/vacuum pressure to take over and prevent most oil vapour from making its way up into my catch can, which I’ve installed higher than my valve cover outlet.

I’ve noticed the 034 Motorsport kit keeps the small hose from the PCV valve to the nipple under the intake manifold, the one you had to exchange for the correct style. In my setup I have it completely removed, including the PCV valve, by running a single hose from the valve cover outlet down to the crankcase breather port via a billet adapter/elbow fitting and capping the nipple under the intake manifold. But now when looking at your setup, I’m second guessing the importance of that additional hose – do you or anyone on here know its purpose? Is it there to provide positive pressure coming from the intake manifold so that oil vapour can be pushed up towards the “hockey puck” valve on the turbo inlet pipe (in our case to the catch can first) so none flows back down into the crankcase?

Maybe this explains why I feel as though my catch can has not caught much yet. Any thoughts on all of this?
Here’s a picture of my engine bay so you can get a better idea of what I’m rambling about... :laugh:
Thanks for the kind words. Your engine bay looks incredible BTW. I've read a lot about the "proper way to setup a catch can" and I've come to the conclusion that it's best to try and retain as much of the OEM system as possible. My reasoning is 2 fold. 1 - I live in Communist California where SMOG/CARB laws are ruthless. 2 - It seems like in a lot of threads I have read about people deviating drastically from what is OEM have run into issues long term.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. Your engine bay looks incredible BTW. I've read a lot about the "proper way to setup a catch can" and I've come to the conclusion that it's best to try and retain as much of the OEM system as possible. My reasoning is 2 fold. 1 - I live in Communist California where SMOG/CARB laws are ruthless. 2 - It seems like in a lot of threads I have read about people deviating drastically from what is OEM have run into issues long term.
You're very welcome and right back at you! Your build thread has been quite inspirational, and since my last post, I've purchased the same 034 Motorsport breather hose kit to replace my catch can lines so they can remain tucked under the engine covers in order to tidy things up. I second it being a great kit for those who are looking to upgrade or replace their breather system.

And just to follow-up on my previous spiel now that I have the 034 Motorsport PCV valve in hand, it is a one-way valve only allowing flow into the intake manifold rather than what I had assumed out into the breather hoses. So if ever anyone was wondering the same thing as me, the purpose of the small breather "s" hose under the manifold can't be to provide pressure through the breather hoses to help push the blow-by gasses back up into the intake track. If anything, some of the blow-by can flow into the intake manifold and back into the cylinders, which makes it tempting to leave this line capped off.

Anyways, I know your car is now for sale but I'll definitely be back for more updates if you decide to keep it! Take it easy! :peace:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You're very welcome and right back at you! Your build thread has been quite inspirational, and since my last post, I've purchased the same 034 Motorsport breather hose kit to replace my catch can lines so they can remain tucked under the engine covers in order to tidy things up. I second it being a great kit for those who are looking to upgrade or replace their breather system.

And just to follow-up on my previous spiel now that I have the 034 Motorsport PCV valve in hand, it is a one-way valve only allowing flow into the intake manifold rather than what I had assumed out into the breather hoses. So if ever anyone was wondering the same thing as me, the purpose of the small breather "s" hose under the manifold can't be to provide pressure through the breather hoses to help push the blow-by gasses back up into the intake track. If anything, some of the blow-by can flow into the intake manifold and back into the cylinders, which makes it tempting to leave this line capped off.

Anyways, I know your car is now for sale but I'll definitely be back for more updates if you decide to keep it! Take it easy! :peace:
I put a plug into the hole on the TIP for the hockey pluck. Ran the lines from the under the intake to a T with the line from the valve cover. Then to catch can. Then for the outlet on the 42DD can i just ran a hose down towards the ground and zip tied it out of the way. Have had zero issues and seems to do it job just right.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Thanks for the follow-up. The more I think about this the more I may try it as well. Next time I have a reason to be fooling with that part of the engine bay I might try it. If you end up trying it please let me know your results.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up. The more I think about this the more I may try it as well. Next time I have a reason to be fooling with that part of the engine bay I might try it. If you end up trying it please let me know your results.
A catch can and its install setup should be done to prevent as much blow-by as possible from entering the intake track. I ran my catch can setup pictured in a few posts ago with the OEM PCV valve completely deleted and nipple under the intake manifold capped off for around 1,500 miles without any issues. If anything the PCV system felt simplified and more sturdy by having removed weak spots and being less prone to leaks. After concluding that the PCV valve can only allow flow from the breather hoses into the intake manifold, I saw absolutely no reason to install it back on when I received the 034Motorsport kit. I didn't want any blow-by to re-enter my intake stream before filtering through the catch can first. Running the full kit would most likely allow for this to happen which clearly defeats the purpose of having a catch can in the first place. Lastly, I decided to remove my catch can from the car to check inside because I was under the impression it wasn't catching much originally. Well I was quite surprised to see how much crap it had caught in so little driving after all... Below is what I found inside after having removed a little bit via the drain valve. All this to say that I believe is it best to have the PCV valve deleted when running a catch can as I have yet to come across an issue and only see it being detrimental to preventing blow-by from entering the intake track.

PS: Did you decide to keep your 20th after all? :biggrinsanta:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
A catch can and its install setup should be done to prevent as much blow-by as possible from entering the intake track. I ran my catch can setup pictured in a few posts ago with the OEM PCV valve completely deleted and nipple under the intake manifold capped off for around 1,500 miles without any issues. If anything the PCV system felt simplified and more sturdy by having removed weak spots and being less prone to leaks. After concluding that the PCV valve can only allow flow from the breather hoses into the intake manifold, I saw absolutely no reason to install it back on when I received the 034Motorsport kit. I didn't want any blow-by to re-enter my intake stream before filtering through the catch can first. Running the full kit would most likely allow for this to happen which clearly defeats the purpose of having a catch can in the first place. Lastly, I decided to remove my catch can from the car to check inside because I was under the impression it wasn't catching much originally. Well I was quite surprised to see how much crap it had caught in so little driving after all... Below is what I found inside after having removed a little bit via the drain valve. All this to say that I believe is it best to have the PCV valve deleted when running a catch can as I have yet to come across an issue and only see it being detrimental to preventing blow-by from entering the intake track.

PS: Did you decide to keep your 20th after all? :biggrinsanta:
I appreciate your thoroughness. I'm on board with what you are saying 100% now and will be trying it here in the near future. My GTI hasn't seen many miles over the last month or so. Been driving the Turbo Miata almost exclusively. I'll be keeping the GTI so I'm getting as much use out of the Miata as I can till it sells. I need to do an oil change in the next few hundred miles on the GTI. My plan was to clean my throttle body, and possibly do a Seafoam Treatment right before the oil change and I may add making the changes you did to my list.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I appreciate your thoroughness. I'm on board with what you are saying 100% now and will be trying it here in the near future. My GTI hasn't seen many miles over the last month or so. Been driving the Turbo Miata almost exclusively. I'll be keeping the GTI so I'm getting as much use out of the Miata as I can till it sells. I need to do an oil change in the next few hundred miles on the GTI. My plan was to clean my throttle body, and possibly do a Seafoam Treatment right before the oil change and I may add making the changes you did to my list.
You're welcome! I was inspired by your setup so I figured I'd share my thoughts and hopefully they end up being useful and for the better to you. I'm glad you're keeping the GTI as you've put a lot of work into her and she's gorgeous, but I can vouch for a Miata being quick and lots of fun. My old man has a supercharged 10AE Miata and that thing is damn quick! I highly recommend the Seafoam treatment - I have done two in the past where I performed the whole works and ran it through the intake manifold, crankcase and gas tank approximately 100-150 miles before an oil change. Nothing but positive results! In for updates... Cheers! :beer:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
2-4-17
80,467 Miles

• Seafoam Treatment (Vacuum System Only)

-So I decided to seafoam the engine on Saturday. Here I have everything setup ready to go.

Everything was going well until I noticed some smoke from behind the motor. I finished adding seafoam and then went looking for the smoke. The smoke was coming from between the exhaust manifold and the turbo. Houston we has a leak! I took the car for a drive and cleared out the sea foam and decided to let the car sit till Sunday so I didn't have to work on a hot turbo manifold. Luckily I had a turbo manifold gasket left over from previous work on my old 1.8T sitting on the shelf that I could use.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
2-5-17
80,474 Miles

• Turbo Gasket Replacement (Part# 06A 253 039E)
-Two of the manifold bolts were fairly loose and easy to turn, but one was really stubborn and felt like it would twist off if I turned any harder. So I started the car up and let it idle for a few minutes to get the bolt and manifold hot. It worked like a charm. So much for working on a nice cool car...... Thank you welding gloves for coming to the rescue.

- Old gasket coming out.

- I'm pretty sure this is where the leak was coming from.

-New Gasket

-Cleaned up the heat shield real good that goes behind the motor. Not that it really matters, but it was nice to put a clean part back in.

-Car buttoned back up

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
2-18-17
80,668 Miles

1. Oil Change
  2. S-Hose Removal
  3. Cylinder Head Coolant Flange Replacement

1. OIL CHANGE - Last oil change was 76,929 miles
  • Motul 5W-40 8100 X-cess Full Synthetic
  • Mann Filter
  • New Copper Washer

2. PCV S-HOSE REMOVAL
- After some thought, additional research, and input from nicholas_b90 I decided to try running the car with the PCV S-Hose eliminated. While waiting for my oil to drain I removed the hose and installed vacuum caps with clamps at the PCV valve and intake manifold. I'm anticipating that my catch can will do a better job of capturing gunk now. I'll give this a try and see how it goes.​

3. CYLINDER HEAD COOLANT FLANGE REPLACEMENT - I had been experiencing a small leak coming from my cylinder head coolant flange over the past few months. It was only leaking a few drops a night, but needed to be fixed.
  • EAA Engineering Cast Aluminum Cylinder Head Coolant Flange
  • FEBI Coolant Temperature Sensor With O-Ring & Clip (Part# 059919501AS1)
  • 50/50 Mix G12 Coolant and Distilled Water

• Removed Battery and Intake
-This was probably unnecessary, but it made the job a lot easier

• OEM Plastic Flange vs. Cast Aluminum Flange
- The supplied hardware for the coolant flange consisted of bolts and washers, but my head has studs coming out of the head with nuts on them. Seems like the kit should have been supplied with new nuts as well to cover both options. I just reused the nuts that came off the car, used some blue locktite for good measure, and added the supplied bolts to my spare hardware collection.

• Coolant Flange and New CTS Installed

• 50/50 Mix of G12/Distilled Water
- Refilled the cooling system after.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Looking good! :D

Let me know if your car feels any different after having done the seafoam treatment and removed the PCV S-hose. It probably won't make much of a difference of course, but it's nice knowing that the blow-by gases now must filter through the catch can prior to re-entering the intake stream.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Looking good! :D

Let me know if your car feels any different after having done the seafoam treatment and removed the PCV S-hose. It probably won't make much of a difference of course, but it's nice knowing that the blow-by gases now must filter through the catch can prior to re-entering the intake stream.
Thanks!

So far the car does feel a little better. That may or maynot be the result of a new CTS though. Next up on my list will be to clean the TB and AIT Sensor whenever I get around to it. How often to you check your catch can now with the additional flow coming into it?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks!

So far the car does feel a little better. That may or maynot be the result of a new CTS though. Next up on my list will be to clean the TB and IAT Sensor whenever I get around to it. How often to you check your catch can now with the additional flow coming into it?
It's hard to say as I haven't had the can installed for very long nor do I drive the car much - she's in storage until the spring so I'll get a better idea throughout the upcoming summer. But to say the least, I was impressed with how much it had caught in only 1,000 miles or so. I posted a picture earlier on in your thread, and judging by that amount, I doubt I would need to empty it more than once a summer. I'm assuming you drive your car all year since you're in California? Feel free to let me know if you notice your can to have become more effective since removing the PCV S-hose.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
wow this is such a meticulous build/refresh!

loove to see cars like this still exist and its not all notch the frame and bag it

great work sir :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
366 Posts

loove to see cars like this still exist and its not all notch the frame and bag it
Amen! I'm always in for more updates here! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

great work sir :thumbup::thumbup:
Amen! I'm always in for more updates here! :thumbup:
Thank you gentleman. I'm doing my best to keep the car from becoming a beat to hell MK4, like so many other have become.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts