VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Thanks for posting.

I think it's cool that Alfa finally found the guts to actually build a Giugiaro prototype. I wanted the Nuvola to go into production but that stayed a dream. Unfortunately the production Brera lost its V8, I think it would have suited it very well like a modern-day Montreal. I saw this very car at a small show in Luxembourg and boy was it loud... I loved the interior, especially the color of the seats.

Here's a short clip and some photos I took:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts

Trying to translate the Brera Concept to a production ready vehicle left the final car with horrible overhangs, unattractive proportions, and let's not even get into the platform itself...the GM/Fiat premium chassis is outdated and heavy...and so is the 3.2 V6 (not the legendary Busso V6) but a bastardised Holden V6...

Sportiness = 0

Sadly Fiat screwed Giugiaro and his design over, to be able to use the 'face' directly for other models (159), and by doing so they ruined one of the most beautiful designs for Alfa that there have been in the last decades...

They should have waited until they got their hands on a RWD platform :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts

Trying to translate the Brera Concept to a production ready vehicle left the final car with horrible overhangs, unattractive proportions, and let's not even get into the platform itself...the GM/Fiat premium chassis is outdated and heavy...and so is the 3.2 V6 (not the legendary Busso V6) but a bastardised Holden V6...

Sportiness = 0

Sadly Fiat screwed Giugiaro and his design over, to be able to use the 'face' directly for other models (159), and by doing so they ruined one of the most beautiful designs for Alfa that there have been in the last decades...

They should have waited until they got their hands on a RWD platform :popcorn:
Got it. I never realized how bad the overhangs are on the production Brera... I just was kind of disappointed in seeing how heavy it was and that something was off with the proportions. I must admit that I prefer the 159 and I think it looks really really good, better than the Brera in fact. I don't know if it was necessary to give the sedan such an aggressive front design.

I really hope there wil be RWD in Alfa's future... and I'm with you talking about the v6... :( I have a friend here in Aachen who bought a GT 3.2 just so he could have obne of the last Busso-powered Alfas. Talk about a swansong...

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Got it. I never realized how bad the overhangs are on the production Brera... I just was kind of disappointed in seeing how heavy it was and that something was off with the proportions. I must admit that I prefer the 159 and I think it looks really really good, better than the Brera in fact. I don't know if it was necessary to give the sedan such an aggressive front design.

I really hope there wil be RWD in Alfa's future... and I'm with you talking about the v6... :( I have a friend here in Aachen who bought a GT 3.2 just so he could have obne of the last Busso-powered Alfas. Talk about a swansong...
the front works much better on the 159...proportions and all...I think the 159 is one of the best looking sedans in the last years..if only it was RWD :rolleyes:

Luckily if I want to own a Busso engined alfa I can buy a 75 :heart:

The 159 replacement has been pushed back so many times (luckily) in the hopes of developing a RWD platform (together with chrysler) for its future models so...fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Luckily if I want to own a Busso engined alfa I can buy a 75 :heart:
He wanted a new car with warranty. I would take a 75 too, it's beautiful, at least 20 years old and most important of all: the last true Alfa.

The 159 replacement has been pushed back so many times (luckily) in the hopes of developing a RWD platform (together with chrysler) for its future models so...fingers crossed!
Seconded!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.