VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T, 2013 Ford Escape SE
5,719 Posts
I enjoyed reading that. Thanks for posting!

I'm surprised at the BMW's lazy acceleration numbers. 189 horsepower was pretty decent 20 years ago and capable of moving cars of that size with greater verve.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T, 2013 Ford Escape SE
5,719 Posts
I wanted a legend coupe with a stick back in the day.. Did they even do manuals? I can't even remember.
They did. LS manual coupes from the end of the generation command a hefty premium, even they have high mileage. Actually, good luck finding any Legend with fewer than 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
11,096 Posts
Let's do a 'where they are now' for these cars. :laugh:

7 - Volvo 940. Lived a long career. Most examples sport 200+ k miles, little to no rust, engines still running strong despite agricultural noises and vibrations. Interior squeaking level - high. Many still exist in the wild.

5 - Mercedes 190 2.6. See above, delete comment about engine noise and interior squeaks

5 - Alpha 164L. In 2003, the very last of the 164's turned into a pile of rust and oil in someones driveway... Not counting the 8 that were basically never driven

4 - BMW 525i. The BMW served well for 10+ years until some hugely expensive repair and wonky electrics made the can unusable. Some still cared for by enthusiasts.

3 - Audi 90. All suffered rampant electrical failures and killer depreciation, most extinct within few years of warranty :laugh:. The few that remain are in the hands of loyal enthusiasts who will explain to you exactly how they keep them running - but deny that there were any real issues.

2 - Saab 9000. Twelve people bought one, and all twelve still exist in varying states of decay.

1 - Acura Legend. The motor is being used as a study model by most third world carmakers... the body rotted off about 4 years ago in the rustbelt... All fairweather examples are running like clocks - with terrible rims, and poor taste body kits.

The Volvo 940 has modern level brakes... 165 feet from 70mph! I remember the brakes on my 960 being phenomenal too. Pedal feel is like a block of wood tho... but those massive disks could stop a freight train. Check out the 30-50 and 50-70mph passing times too - Another plus about the Volvo automatic at the time... First gear went to about 51-52mph... and 2nd took you to about 80mph (ideal for those passing tests, even with a bit of a weak motor)... Might not have been the fastest car in a straight line, but boy could those transmission's deliver massively good passing power! It was sublime on the 960 (with 40 more horsepower - and all its power at the mid-high rpm range).

·
Registered
2021 Mazda 3 Premium Turbo
4,783 Posts

7 - Volvo 940. Lived a long career. Most examples sport 200+ k miles, little to no rust, engines still running strong despite agricultural noises and vibrations. Interior squeaking level - high. Many still exist in the wild.

5 - Mercedes 190 2.6. See above, delete comment about engine noise and interior squeaks

5 - Alpha 164L. In 2003, the very last of the 164's turned into a pile of rust and oil in someones driveway... Not counting the 8 that were basically never driven

4 - BMW 525i. The BMW served well for 10+ years until some hugely expensive repair and wonky electrics made the can unusable. Some still cared for by enthusiasts.

3 - Audi 90. All suffered rampant electrical failures and killer depreciation, most extinct within few years of warranty :laugh:. The few that remain are in the hands of loyal enthusiasts who will explain to you exactly how they keep them running - but deny that there were any real issues.

2 - Saab 9000. Twelve people bought one, and all twelve still exist in varying states of decay.

1 - Acura Legend. The motor is being used as a study model by most third world carmakers... the body rotted off about 4 years ago in the rustbelt... All fairweather examples are running like clocks - with terrible rims, and poor taste body kits.

The Volvo 940 has modern level brakes... 165 feet from 70mph! I remember the brakes on my 960 being phenomenal too. Pedal feel is like a block of wood tho... but those massive disks could stop a freight train. Check out the 30-50 and 50-70mph passing times too - Another plus about the Volvo automatic at the time... First gear went to about 51-52mph... and 2nd took you to about 80mph (ideal for those passing tests, even with a bit of a weak motor)... Might not have been the fastest car in a straight line, but boy could those transmission's deliver massively good passing power! It was sublime on the 960 (with 40 more horsepower - and all its power at the mid-high rpm range).

It's Alfa Romeo, and do you even know WTF you are talking about. Unlike previous Alfas, the 164 was galvanized steel. It may have had a few issues but rust was and isn't one of them.

·
Registered
9,944 Posts
"an automatic is not available on any AWD Audi..." :D

Times have changed...
that's actually wrong. the v8q that came out as a 1990 model not only came with an auto, almost all of them were.

bonus points for them having a rare 90 quattro sport with the speedline wheels and the bigger brakes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
I started reading the article, saw the 9000 was in it, and when I didn't see it finish last I forgot it was in the test! Very pleased to see it second.

Honestly, I'd love a pair of 9000 Turbos. One with an auto as a daily driver and one with a stick and a gutted interior for track duty. Much better cars than the 9-3 I currently have(which is similarly rapid).

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Re: Live-Wire

True, there are still lots of these

Virtually everywhere. I see 5-6 per day.

I don't believe these were a huge seller here, but they were on the same platform as the 9000, which doesn't rust too badly, and they're galvinized. They COULD last forever if properly cared for. One of my HS teachers had one that was minty. I've seen maybe a dozen ever.

I work in auto parts, specifically European stuff. I see parts for these on a near daily basis. They're still out there.

One of my coworkers has a final production year Audi 90 V6 Quattro. The thing is a tank. In my line of work I still see parts being bought for these cars fairly often, so they're out there. Mostly enthusiast owned at this point.

This was Saab's best selling model ever, by a margin of several thousand. They made almost 600k of them over the car's production life(probably the fewest of anything on this list, but still). There is one parked across the street from my building right now, and I could get to about 9 more on foot from where I live that I know of. They're a very New England car, and they're still everywhere up here. They don't rust, and that engine will do 300k no problem. As modern cars go this has to have one of the higher survivor percentages of all semi-premium sedans. People that have them don't like letting go of them!

Of all the cars on this list(save the Alfa), this is the one I see the fewest of. I grew up in a fairly affluent area, so when they were new I used to see them constantly. These days I see maybe one per day. I've driven one, and it was beat. Not hard to see how it was a great car when it was new though. Pretty bland to look at, but even with 250k+ miles of careless wear and tear on it everything still felt very high quality... Just tired.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The 2nd gen Legend was the best Acura sedan ever, best Acura ever second only to the NSX.

With the RL's putrid sales, I think Acura would be wise to make an exception to their alpha numeric naming system for their next flagship and bring back the Legend nameplate. Of course the car would have to live up the name as 91-95 Legend did.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.