VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Those prices... Even though it's 17 years ago, it's still hard to wrap your head around paying $22k for a Talon, that you can get for $800-$1200 on Craigslist these days :eek:.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I don't mean to sound condescending, but this article--like some others you have featured in other threads--has already been featured in The Car Lounge. Doing a quick search could save you lots of time in scanning, etc.

·
Banned
9,104 Posts
I still think it ironic the the 240SX finished last in this comparison but it is the most popular to modify currently because it is easy to swap a better engine into it.
The 240SX was **** to begin with. It wasn't until people starting noticing that you could swap a better engine into did it become so popular. Still **** though.

The result of this test just goes to prove that just because a car is faster doesn't mean it's better. Again, great read :thumbup:

·
Registered
14,315 Posts
I think it would be interesting to see how the equivalent cars stack up today:

Acura Integra GS-R vs Honda Civic Si Coupe (closest equivalent in the family)
Ford Probe GT vs Mustang V6
Honda Prelude VTEC vs Honda Accord V6 Coupe 6M
Mitsu Eclipse GS-t vs Eclipse GT
Nissan 240SX vs Altima Coupe
Toyota Celica GT vs Scion TC

Pretty sure all of the newer cars are better made, faster, cheaper (inflation included), have higher handling limits etc. Those were some cool cars in 94, but we've made a lot of progress.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts

Pretty sure all of the newer cars are better made, faster, cheaper (inflation included), have higher handling limits etc. Those were some cool cars in 94, but we've made a lot of progress.
Those would be some weird match-ups.

Great read. Thanks again for the articles.

·
Banned
9,104 Posts

The GS-R would get spanked by the Si coupe.
Mustang would destroy Probe GT.
Prelude and Accord would be a tossup depending on driver, though I think the Accord has a slight advantage.
GS-T vs Eclipse would be another tossup. I think advantage GS-T though.
Altima Coupe would probably win against 240SX.
Celica GT would beat the tC.

·
Registered
42,969 Posts
I still think it ironic the the 240SX finished last in this comparison but it is the most popular to modify currently because it is easy to swap a better engine into it.
The S14 OEM suspension tuning was miserable, too. It was a great chassis let down by a complete lack of direction from the product planning team. Nissan USA had their heads up their asses.

Edit: and just so I don't come off as a butt-hurt "enthusiast", look at the sales numbers:

1989 - 68118
1990 - 60582
1991 - 34534
1992 - 27033
1993 - 21471
1994 - 1391

·
Registered
23,263 Posts
And then there were none... (well, Eclipse, but not much longer)

As noted above, there are some pseudo-replacements in the manufacturers' lineups, but it's funny that the market for two-door liftbacks has (dying Eclipse and tC being the survivors) nearly disappeared.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
This article brings back memories of high school. I ended up with the Probe GT as my first car, after cross-shopping it with the Eagle Talon TSI. Got it for $16k new, which was significantly cheaper than the other cars here. I really wanted an Integra GS-R or a GTI VR6, but those cars were around the $22k-23k mark out the door.

·
Registered
23,263 Posts
First year of a new model - and it was an extended year, too, with the '95s coming out in spring 1994 - and they sold barely more than the last year of the previous model? That's a sign that you dun screwed up.
I don't think dropping the liftback helped. Everytime I see a notchback S13 I have to do a double-take. The liftback body style was just so much more common in the S13, and then they sold the S14 notch-only.

·
Registered
42,969 Posts
I don't think dropping the liftback helped. Everytime I see a notchback S13 I have to do a double-take. The liftback body style was just so much more common in the S13, and then they sold the S14 notch-only.
Oh yeah. Having owned both, the liftback is an immensely more useful car.

Every time a new sport coupe comes out (Genesis Coupe, FT86) I'm let down that they didn't just hinge the rear glass. Even if they had to pull a 350Z and give it a stupid strut tower brace.

·
Registered
664 Posts
My 16 year old self would have killed for the Celica (I would have even settled for an ST model with the Corolla 1.6L, but only if it was the hatchback.... didn't like the look of the notchback in that generation).... even though it is saddled with the same engine as the Camry it would have still been my pick. The Prelude would have been #2. i just think there was something just right with that, and to a marginally lesser extent the prior one, generation of Celica. It was at the zenith of Toyota's quality and design.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.